Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my car has gone crazy, driven car and arrived at work as usual, few hours later noticed headlights (not the smaller diplights) on. Went to car and opened doors, all dashboard light on, radio on, fan on. Inserted ignition key and tried to start engine and got message Security Fail. Disconnected battery both terminals to stop it from being drained. Reconnecting it few hours later did not solve problem. A day later after diconnecting and reconnecting fuses and modules I finally got engine to start and thought poblem solved. Removed ignition key but engine still running. Did not know waht to do to stop engine running, disconnecting battery did not help. Evenutally disconnecting one of the module stopped the engine. Back to square one with lights, dashboard lights, fan and immobilizer on. Cannot start engine as get the message Security Fail'.
Anyone has any idea what to do and what is causing this problem?

·
Premium Member
23,737 Posts
Start by looking at the relays on the ignition circuit, one could be sticking.

If the relays check out ok then look at the ignition barrel.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
I agree with Jim, a sticking relay would do some of it The ignition barrel some of it but not the lights.
I would suggest getting codes read.
Also if you could update your signature via the link below we would know which variant you have, Manual or Auto.

Roger.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Eventually disconnecting one of the module stopped the engine.
Whichever module (relay?) this was, I'd suggest replacing it with a new one.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I had mine run on a few times with my key in my hand! A spray of WD40 into the ignition barrel sorted it, never to return.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
As said check the ignition barrel, use white grease in it once its freed off. Cars that miss service schedules, miss the greasing of locks which can cause sticking barrels. Failing that start checking the relays. A welded relay will obviously not disengage when ignition power has been switched off.

You could disconnect the multi plug to the ignition switch and see if that cures the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.