Jaguar XJS 1995 BEST TYRES

Girllovescars

Reaction score
Good morning from Sunny Worthing! We have a beautiful 1995 XJS and need a set of new tyres. She currently has Hankook 225/55/R16 99W but the reviews aren't great. There are loads of considerations and of course being the UK need to make sure the grip in the wet is great and I'm keen to keep the noise low too. Not too worried about fuel economy as we don't use it enough to worry about that. I have found a few options and am considering the Kumho Ecsta HS51. It seems a shame to move away from the known brands for such a stylish modern classic but I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are on this. Should we spend the money on a top end known brand such as Bridgestone, Continental, Pirelli or Michelin or can we get great performance from an upcoming brand?

JimboV8

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Thanks @JimboV8 Ill check that thread out too. Which Pirelli’s did you have? There are so many to choose from…
Mine were the P600’s but here’s a little info for you,
Up to 1993 the XJS was fitted with 15″ wheels, mostly the ‘lattice’, but also ‘starfish’, ‘pepperpot’, and ‘Kent’. The very early cars had 70 profile tyres but in the mid 80’s Jaguar decided on a sportier feel with lower profile 235 x 60 x 15 Pirelli P600 tyres. By modern standards this is not a brilliant tyre and yet many owners try very hard to obtain it because it is specified in the handbook. It is perfectly ok – and indeed better – to fit modern 225 x 60 15tyres such as Falken ZE914. While the width is 4% narrower, its modern design means there is more tyre on the road anyway.

In 1993 Jaguar changed to 16″ wheels for the XJS, most commonly the simple 5 spoke. Others were the 20 slot Turbine on the 6 litre V12, and Celebration 11 slot. Tyres were 225 x 55 x 16. Again, we find the Falken ZE914 or FK452 are excellent, but if you want to pay more for expensively marketed brands you can choose from Michelin, Yokahama, Continental, Pirelli and more.

There are some 17″ Jaguar wheels available with the correct offsets and bolt pattern, notably the XJR which can be fitted with 255 x 45 x 17 tyres (but we cannot guarantee there won’t be fouling on the rear wheel arches), or more reasonably 225 x 45 x 17.

JimC64

Reaction score
Good morning from Sunny Worthing! We have a beautiful 1995 XJS and need a set of new tyres. She currently has Hankook 225/55/R16 99W but the reviews aren't great. There are loads of considerations and of course being the UK need to make sure the grip in the wet is great and I'm keen to keep the noise low too. Not too worried about fuel economy as we don't use it enough to worry about that. I have found a few options and am considering the Kumho Ecsta HS51. It seems a shame to move away from the known brands for such a stylish modern classic but I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are on this. Should we spend the money on a top end known brand such as Bridgestone, Continental, Pirelli or Michelin or can we get great performance from an upcoming brand?
Welcome aboard girlovescars, good to have you here

I've ran Kumho tyres on my older XJ X358 and used them previously too, a really really good upper mid range tyre, good in the wet, A rated etc

As Squadron blue pointed out, Falkens are another good brand, reasonably priced and a match for any of the BIG names

Try checking out Blackcircles, put your car details in there and everything will pop up for you, giving you the choices you need

You can see at a glance and check against wet rating scores , noise ratings and more....

Best
Jim