Jaguar XK8 1998 - Rear View Mirror Replacement/Repair

JimboV8

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Very good write up with pics, would make a good addition to the XK8 and XJ8 stickies. Well done on the repair and to Jim for the part.:D

B

Barney100golf

yes a good right up, can I ask the did the pcb stay the same and just the brown cable from the mirror to the pcb that was changed and it was the same on the new mirror?

B

BigE

The PCB is stick to the rear of the glass and doesn't look like it will come off.
So, I changed the mirror and PCB in one go.

B

Barney100golf

I thought the new one seemed from the pictures to have less wires the old one clearly have 6 is it correct or do they both have the same number;-)

jimforrest

Reaction score
There's a moral to this storey >
Ed met me to read my codes 'cos my Check Engine light was up -
He read the codes and subsequently sent pics of the results -
He got a nice shiny working mirror -
Then he told me my engine is stuffed !!
>
>
Who needs friends?
>
Only joking - glad it all worked out Ed.

jimforrest

Reaction score
Incidentally - on my XK8 (now deceased) the rear view mirror gave a 'double vision effect (it looked as if cars following has two sets of headlights - one above the other). I couldn't find a mirror and couldn't live with the weird effect on mine, so I bought a 'glass tile' (mirrored plastic) from our favourite shop and, using a card template stuck diagonally across it, cut out a new glass using a Dremmel. Two bits of number plate double sided tape and I had a perfect mirror.

The mirror is recessed into the frame so the addition wasn't visible - just it didn't darken (which didn't worry me).