Jaguar Forum banner
6781 - 6800 of 6865 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,781 ·
I can concur, that bit of hedge out the front looks dead for the most part to me ;) With no Jag to beautify this w/end, it may be a good time to swop the old for new and get the job sorted and out of the way :unsure:
Bang on the money Gina, if I can summon the whereforall I'll get it done, but don't bank on it lol

Had exactly the same with my box hedge around the front garden. Seems it’s some caterpillar that keeps eating the leaves until the plant dies. I found a spray on the internet that you use at the first sign and it stops the caterpillars feeding thus killing them off. It’s stopped the rot but, like yourself, I’ll be replacing some bushes in the near future.
Cheers Eastendboy, but mines was down to a numpty neighbour and careless use of weedkiller

Jim

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,782 ·
I've just been speaking to Myshowplates, ordered a new set of number plates, front and rear.

Granted only the rear is needed, but just thought I'd freshen up the front one too. There's so many other options now including gel plates, but stuck with the standard ones, should be here tomorrow

Jim

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Round these parts, the rozzers occasionally have a bit of a clampdown on plates, so I tend to stick to standard ones. Though I think in most cases, its those that mess around with spacing or fonts, rather than lacking the necessary legal names etc.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Not that I'd ever mess with spacing etc, as I'm not really interested in letting people know what my name nearly is. I think the old bill can find plenty of other reasons to give me a tug, so at least I can keep numberplates off that list!

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,785 ·
Round these parts, the rozzers occasionally have a bit of a clampdown on plates, so I tend to stick to standard ones. Though I think in most cases, its those that mess around with spacing or fonts, rather than lacking the necessary legal names etc.
Hi Jamie, I meant standard, as opposed to gel plates or anything other. I'm not into mis spacing the letters or using unusual fonts ( did that around 20 years ago - interesting story of the pull and the interaction with the cops 6 months before lol )

Not that I'd ever mess with spacing etc, as I'm not really interested in letting people know what my name nearly is. I think the old bill can find plenty of other reasons to give me a tug, so at least I can keep numberplates off that list!
Messing with spacing, adding screw covers to slightly alter letters etc and different fonts and more, all off the list for me, but each to their own

Standard font and spacing all day long

Just had an alert from Google, quite interesting showing movements for the past 5 years within the UK
4 countries / regions
230 cities
949 places

Map World Atlas Event Font

If I could access the last 30 years, there'd be a lot of red dots in a lot of those green areas, I stopped travelling extensively around 2009 cutting back to around maybe 15k - 20k per year or less, down from 50k - 70k per year before that

Jim

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
They’re quite cool those location maps. You can extract them from an iPhone too but like you, mine won’t look all that exciting these days.
Last time I downloaded from my iPhone, it looked like I had been everywhere except the middle bit of the Wales coast, or Scotland. Normally those tracking dots just highlight the UK's motorway network...

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,789 ·

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,344 Posts
I've just been speaking to Myshowplates, ordered a new set of number plates, front and rear.

Granted only the rear is needed, but just thought I'd freshen up the front one too. There's so many other options now including gel plates, but stuck with the standard ones, should be here tomorrow

Jim
Good idea to get the new plates front and back as you say to freshen things up. Always amazes me how some people drive around in nice cars, or even run of the mill but well cared for, being polished all shiny with no dings or dents etc. and they have tatty old plates. when you can get a set from e.g. Halfords for under £40.

I must confess, I have had cherished plates with different fonts and also a 3D effect lettering/number and had a picture of one of my Great Danes at either end as a gift for my 50th birthday, so only a couple of years or so ago now :oops: but all spacings kept legal. Never got picked up though, as I suppose the reg number was fairly short and hot hidden in any way by the pictures and not any difference really than having a flag at one end - well other than of course I had the pictures at both ends.

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,792 ·
Good idea to get the new plates front and back as you say to freshen things up. Always amazes me how some people drive around in nice cars, or even run of the mill but well cared for, being polished all shiny with no dings or dents etc. and they have tatty old plates. when you can get a set from e.g. Halfords for under £40.

I must confess, I have had cherished plates with different fonts and also a 3D effect lettering/number and had a picture of one of my Great Danes at either end as a gift for my 50th birthday, so only a couple of years or so ago now :oops: but all spacings kept legal. Never got picked up though, as I suppose the reg number was fairly short and hot hidden in any way by the pictures and not any difference really than having a flag at one end - well other than of course I had the pictures at both ends.
Absolutely 100% Gina.

There's always a nice car somewhere with a squint numberplate partially hanging off, cracked, or a screw right through a letter etc

Can't fathom it myself

Jim

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Yeah, like mine that has a stone chip on it. I have the old ones* in the garage, but probably won't change into it become an MOT issue, seeing as I seem to be getting lots of stone chips lately :(

*I had to buy some EU legal ones on my last visit to France, pre Brexit, as my magnetic GB sticker doesn't work too well on XJs...

·
Premium Member
2010 XJ 3.0d
219 Posts
Great day, became the day from hell, where to start :):(:eek:o_O:cool:

The hits just keep on coming....I've put a call in to Martyn advising I'll be keeping the lucky white heather I was going to send down!

I left around 03.15am this morning, dark but fairly nice, drove through some foggy areas that cleared, over the Cairn O Mount and visited my customer, coffee, chat, business
On the way in this morning, the last 4 or 5 miles are single track with passing places, large wooded areas on both sides, a real favourite for DEER......

One large shadow skipped across the road in the distance and so slowed down, where there's one there's more, sure enough another 2 closely behind it.....that was close I thought lol

Then onwards to Kintore, wash, rinse and repeat, then on the A96 over to Inverness to see Craig about some bits n pieces he's looking for and to drop off a couple of parts, plus some weekend cheer.
The sun was shining, birds singing, beautiful scenery, great to be alive.........

I'm heading through Elgin around 10.12am at this point, and came across some stop / start traffic, at one point I'm stopped behind a Renault van, luckily experience has taught me to leave a decent distance between the vehicle in front as you never know the BAM!!!!

My head felt like it was loose on my neck at this point, felt a lot worse than it actually turned out to be, but rear ended by a white VW Polo. It felt like 40mph but was probably about 10-15mph max and shunted me forward....great!!

We pulled over and it was a young woman, I thought around mid - late twenties, but actually 34 and she was gutted, a little emotional and I strangely enough found myself consoling her, telling her it was ok, she actually said thanks for being so understanding!

I said, well, inside I'm livid / raging trust me, but its an accident and no one died, trying to repeat that to myself in my own head, as you do.

It turns out she's been driving for 15 years or more and this is her first accident, and so I talked her through swapping details etc and then took some Paracetamol and headed off, stiff neckitis

The consolation is that she hit me square on and so the lower bumper took the brunt of the damage, parking sensors, number plate etc etc etc, a little damage to the boot lid but not that much, see here.
Her Polo being so small and the XJ being so big, she kind of submarined into / under the bumper
View attachment 55214
View attachment 55215
View attachment 55216

Around a half hour later I called her to make sure she was ok, her voice was shaky, shock kicking in I think at this point, but home safe n sound with no more dramas.

She was telling me she was contacting her Insurance straight away, which was something I thought.

On the way over to inverness, I called Glasgow Jaguar bodyshop and spoke to Shirley, after giving my name, she says, Jim, Jim Campbell?
Yes I said.
I thought I recognised the reg, you used to bring your Audi A6 into us back in the day ( like 12 years ago - so good memory!! )

I explained what happened and said I wanted to call in on my way home so they could assess the damage, yes, no problem she says, see you in the afternoon.

Craig was waiting for me at my last call, which was always going to be short n sweet, but more so now and so sorted what we needed too and then the phone rang.
This is now around 11.40am so about an hour and a half after the accident

Mr Campbell?
Yes.
Hi it's Becky here from 1st Central insurance, you were involved in an accident with one of our clients earlier this morning?
Yes!
Just to advise our client has accepted full responsibility and we're here to help in any way we we can. Please take your car to any repairer of your choice and quote this ref number and we will do the rest. If you need a courtesy or hire car, please let us know and we'll sort that for you and will try to get you back on the road, all sorted as soon as possible!

I received a text message and email about 5 minutes later with all relevant details etc, couldn't believe how good they were.

I arrived at the Jaguar bodyshop at 3.05pm and was given a welcome mug of coffee, whilst John took details and assessed the damage to the car and I chatted with Shirley, advising my expectations to which she nodded and we both laughed.
The car to go in to be repaired ( no rear number plate - I'll sort that ) and a full machine polish included all over to match the new shiny bits at the back.

Then left and arrived home, another John there fitting a replacement window and Tress welcoming me with a mug of coffee.

Apart from the accident / hassle part, everything else went swimmingly lol

Jim
just read this today, bad luck that could have ended a lot worse.

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,795 ·

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just had an alert from Google, quite interesting showing movements for the past 5 years within the UK
4 countries / regions
230 cities
949 places

View attachment 55446

If I could access the last 30 years, there'd be a lot of red dots in a lot of those green areas, I stopped travelling extensively around 2009 cutting back to around maybe 15k - 20k per year or less, down from 50k - 70k per year before that

Jim
[/QUOTE]

Looks like you've had measles Jim!

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,797 ·
I had a wee delivery from the postie just 10 minutes ago

That's the new replacement plates arrived, great job and nice n quick as always, thanks to Myshowplates.com

Handwriting Font Rectangle Material property Ticket

They've changed, upgraded their site somewhat with a lot of new possible options available, unfortunately some of the older options were not available through the transition, but a quick phone call and an image sent to them to clarify meant they could supply as requested.

They can supply all manner of weird n wonderful requirements, from showplates to legal road plates and anything in between, I've been using them for years.

Anyhow, now just need an XJ to put them on, a week in so far....

Jim

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,799 · (Edited)
Just saw your tale about the wee coming together. Bad luck Jim. Are you sure she didn't get deafened by Phil Collins?
Lol, true though Bob, you can't hurry love, you'll just have to waitBAM!!!!!

Jim

6781 - 6800 of 6865 Posts