Jaguar Forum banner
6801 - 6820 of 6865 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,801 · (Edited)
Just stumbled upon your thread as I usually avoid looking in any with XJ in title because of pull effect they might leave on me and in order to keep my marriage safe.
Absolutely gutted of accident and hope she’ll come out of bodyshop in good order.
Lol thanks JD.

I hear you about the pull of the XJ,, so easily sucked in.

I've followed your thread as you know. You have a very nice XF so should be ok for another year or two, just make sure you stay away from XJs at that point, otherwise you will be assimilated lol

Jim

·
Registered
2020 Seat Ateca 2.0T FR 4Drive
667 Posts
How are you finding the Volvo jim? I had one on holiday earlier this year, and it was not that bad really, the modern Volvos have come on a long way, but they are not in the same league as an XJ though, its a very different use case.

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,803 ·
How are you finding the Volvo jim? I had one on holiday earlier this year, and it was not that bad really, the modern Volvos have come on a long way, but they are not in the same league as an XJ though, its a very different use case.
Hey RatPC,
The Volvo?

It's actually a decent car, not bad at all, the V90 Cross Country so fairly spacious etc and seems to handle the road well ( you have to test them, don't you? lol )

It's the 2.0d so not the quickest by any means, but capable enough, no real complaints here. That said, I'm not doing any lengthy journeys, maybe down to Greenock and back in the next few days but that would only be about 90 miles.

It will actually be quite handy as it's to lug stuff about, other than that, its 2 or 3 miles here n there, so no real biggie in any event, but you're right...

Not even nearly in the same league as the XJ by any stretch of the imagination.

Clearly I'm really keen to have my car back, but am not pushing, I want it back right

Jim

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,044 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,805 ·
Too true: there are buses out there waiting for you!
Not bussing it Chris, that's why I got the Volvo on hire
Can't be doing waiting on buses 😀
Jim

·
Premium Member
2016 XJL Autobiography
2,118 Posts
The last time I took a bus it was the 3am special from Glasgow to East Kilbride. Certainly seen some sights and I don’t mean out the window…

I wasn’t in much better nick mind you so I suppose I can’t grumble….

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,044 Posts
I wasn't thinking of sitting in, I was thinking of aiming at! (... as you well know)

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,809 ·
The last time I took a bus it was the 3am special from Glasgow to East Kilbride. Certainly seen some sights and I don’t mean out the window…

I wasn’t in much better nick mind you so I suppose I can’t grumble….
Jeesh, I thought I used to see some Glenn, lived on the buses 40 years ago, back n forth regularly, but always a worthwhile trip at that time lol
The 3am special from the Town!!!!
I can only imagine lol, that's Kevin Bridges material right there most likely.

I wasn't thinking of sitting in, I was thinking of aiming at! (... as you well know
I do know, just wanted to draw you out to say it, and stop hinting lol

So here we go again...
I ever so slightly "nudge" a bus with a tiny paint scrape on my rear end, bear in mind it's a nudge and a BUS, You hit a Mondeo and write the bloody thing off and have to buy a new one

Maybe I'm wrong but I still think that's a win for me ;)

Jim

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,344 Posts
Jeesh, I thought I used to see some Glenn, lived on the buses 40 years ago, back n forth regularly, but always a worthwhile trip at that time lol
The 3am special from the Town!!!!
I can only imagine lol, that's Kevin Bridges material right there most likely.

I do know, just wanted to draw you out to say it, and stop hinting lol

So here we go again...
I ever so slightly "nudge" a bus with a tiny paint scrape on my rear end, bear in mind it's a nudge and a BUS, You hit a Mondeo and write the bloody thing off and have to buy a new one

Maybe I'm wrong but I still think that's a win for me ;)

Jim
I remember the open back red buses as a child and used to love jumping on them but not so brave at getting off Also used to think it was great to have a conductor too, taking your money and winding the handle on their machine to spring out your ticket, Ahhh, those were the days. Oh yes and if you dared to go upstairs, there was that dreadful smell of smoke and those winding staircases to navigate ... oh what fun we had :giggle:

Yup, from a distance away, I think it's a firm touché and maybe a good time to leave the buses at the bus stop perhaps, as this story seems to be playing out like a long-playing record with the needle stuck ... or is it just me?🤷‍♀️

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,811 ·
Update from bodyshop

I called them today, just to get a handle on where we're at with the car, see as below

Parts ordered and arrived all ok

Car not stripped as yet, not authorised to do so until parts all on site, but ready to start now ( This is now more common across insurers allegedly )

They've been given some time to check on sunroof popping and have to report back to insurers and go from there

Provisional date so far is 21.09.22

I have to say I'm not surprised at all, even smallish repairs seem to take forever these days. If the 21.09.22 date is achieved, that'll be 2 full weeks and 2 days or 12 working days, but I'm not holding my breath.

John did say he'd contact me again and keep me in the loop, but I have a funny feeling I'll contact him before that happens

Jim

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,813 ·
The classic "ill ring you back", that was 5 years ago😂
One thing about me Steve, I'll never die wondering lol

Jim

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,815 ·
Sorry to hear about your accident, Jim.
I hope repairs all go to plan and you have her back soonest.
Best Wishes,
Angus.
Cheers Angus, hope you're well?

Can't come quick enough, but watching a boiling kettle and all that....

Jim

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,816 ·
Might as well make use of the Volvo, so....

Earlier yesterday, offending dead hedges ripped out, new replacements thrown in along with some fertiliser and watered, now we'll see if they live or die lol

I'm not a gardener.

Back seats of the Volvo down and a tarpaulin covering entire rear section, dead hedges etc placed in bags, so can't be any more careful really. It'll be a local tip run tomorrow to get rid

Jim

·
Premium Member
2016 XJL Autobiography
2,118 Posts
I'm sure you'll be good for the 21st. These guys want rid of any cars as quickly as possible so won't drag out holding on to her.

Good job in getting the hedges done too, one less thing to worry about and no spiders or beasties in any of your own cars, so a wee bonus in that I guess.

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,819 · (Edited)
I'm sure you'll be good for the 21st. These guys want rid of any cars as quickly as possible so won't drag out holding on to her.

Good job in getting the hedges done too, one less thing to worry about and no spiders or beasties in any of your own cars, so a wee bonus in that I guess.
I just had my Friday call from Shirley at the bodyshop, for an update.

They're on with the repairs, with the unexpected public holiday etc, it looks like it may be nearer Friday for collection.

The car may, or may not be finished earlier, but they're doing a full machine polish etc when completed. I've advised her that as keen as I am to get back in the car, another day or so, here or there is no big deal, rather have it back right, so no rush.

Still Volvo man for the time being it is then

Jim

·
Premium Member
2016 XJL Autobiography
2,118 Posts
I’m sure once you get her back you’ll have forgot she was away after 5 minutes in the seat.

As you said earlier, we take these cars for granted and forget some people don’t have the luxuries we do…

6801 - 6820 of 6865 Posts