Jaguar Forum banner
7161 - 7180 of 7232 Posts

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,879 Posts
Nice one Glenn, hope to hear how you got on, feel free to pass along any tips n tricks lol
Thanks in advance....

Cheers Gina, been doing that for years, run my tyres down to around maybe 4mm thereabouts generally, then advertise them for sale for either those that want to track their car, or maybe someone who just wants to make a car legal on a budget.
The sale price, usually £80 - £140 dependent suits everyone and I've got new rubber on my car, more often than not.

Who doesn't love a good Cornish pastie?

Cheers Jamie, and yes, agreed, but its very slight to be fair. If it was worse I'd be more concerned, taken onboard though
Anglian water :ROFLMAO:
Could be worse though, could be in my area lol

Just goes to show how low the reservoirs have gotten I suppose

Here today - Family day to get together for Peter's 31st, so a nice wee lunch at the Smiddy Inn, with the whole gang in attendance pretty much, except for auld auntie.
Nice lunch, good craic and plenty of mick taking from all sides / ages, then home for another hour or so with them all.

Not long away and Tress just away for a lazy afternoon, cheeky 40 winks and the phone rings.

Auntie was out today, off to pay her respects to hubby ( gone 7 years now ) via Peter's house in the morning, to drop off his cad and prezzie.
She then heads out to Alva to pay her respects, then over to the other side of Falkirk to see her friend, catch up and some lunch together....This, is a big day out / adventure for her these days.

Back to the phone call ,around 3.45pm from her friend, auntie was leaving, fell and hit her head off the pavement, not feeling great, can't drive!

Got Tress and dashed over to make sure she was ok and bring her back, Tress doing her best in a 0.9 litre manual Clio lol, but got there and dropped her off, had a coffee and a chat etc.
She was adamant she'd stay in her own house, so will call later and in the morning, to make sure she's ok.

Netflix and chill for later

Jim
Sounds like a good time had by all at the family gathering for Pete's birthday.

A bit of a how-de-doody with Auld Autie, I do hope she is none the worse for wear after her fall, a bit shaken up and bruised I expect, but hopefully a good rest and taking things steady will put things right for her.

Reactions: JimC64

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,162 ·
Sounds like a good time had by all at the family gathering for Pete's birthday.

A bit of a how-de-doody with Auld Autie, I do hope she is none the worse for wear after her fall, a bit shaken up and bruised I expect, but hopefully a good rest and taking things steady will put things right for her.
Yes, was a good little family gathering thanks Gina, a pre cursor to Christmas I suppose

Spoke to her today, then visited with a few essentials and she's in good form, a little sore on the side she fell, but otherwise ok, beginning to think she's milking it a little now lol
More worrying is her driving and confidence levels, would hate to see her being unable to drive.
That wee plucky Clio that she loves, probably only covered around 3k miles these last couple of years if that, but there when she wants to go out, losing that independence, would be a big blow.

I'm waiting on a call from my local tyre guy as to fitting new tyres for the XJ this week sometime, whenever I can fit it in, then M.O.T time shortly after

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Ah, good news that she's up and about if still a little sore, funny about the milking it though - you don't get older without learning a few tricks, eh?

Oh, so true about the Clio and her independence, there will come a time when she will have to give up both, but fingers crossed it's a good while off as yet. Just needs to pick days of the week and times when the roads are quieter and take her time, giving plenty of thought about what she is doing, but I don't suppose you will be able to pass on any pearls of wisdom as most likely they will fall on deaf ears ... old + wise yes, but also stubborn + cantankerous too if anything like my lovely ma and grandma in their dotage :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Busy as usual then Jim, both jags looking grand after their beautification, having made good use of the fine weather, get your new tyres on and MOT under your belt, will be nice to have some breathing space for a bit, and finish sorting your lights out at your own leisure. I expect you will give her a bit of a going over prior to her MOT, but best of luck with that, and here's hoping she sails through (y);)

Reactions: JimC64 and #steve

·
Administrator
10,072 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,693 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,167 ·
I just got the call an hour or so ago re the tyres.

Tyres are in and ready good to go, we agreed on 08.30 tomorrow morning for minimum disruption so should be fitted then.

On a positive note, gave Brian ( my M.O.T. ) guy a call to see how he got on with the doctors / hospital etc and he seems in better spirits. They may not need to remove his arm, although will still be extensive surgery to remove tumour and then rebuild the bone ( Bionic man style ) so he's a little more upbeat, which is great news.

He's asked me to come in Thursday morning at 9am to get the M.O.T. done then. It's a little earlier than I had planned but will just roll with it and be his assistant on the day.
Looking out a bottle of Scotch I have to help ease his pain, he's one of the good guys, and they're few and far between these days.

Jim

·
Administrator
10,072 Posts
Damn right. Hence I tend to buy my tyres from my MOT man, even if it is £10 more a corner than the cheapest of the online fitted prices.
Nah I'm too tight for that, but I do use the local place to book the fitting of them though via an online tyre site.

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,170 ·
Damn right. Hence I tend to buy my tyres from my MOT man, even if it is £10 more a corner than the cheapest of the online fitted prices.
I like him, give him plenty of work and the odd bottle here n there, but there's very few I like THAT much lol

Nah I'm too tight for that, but I do use the local place to book the fitting of them though via an online tyre site.
I normally do too Ian, Blackcircles, then give thye local guy a chance to see if he wants to match or better it, that way everyone wins in my book

Jim

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,171 ·
Well, that's the tyres fitted this morning, second time round with the Falken Azenis FK510

The place is mad busy, cars everywhere and more coming in all the time. I heard a few people calling in asking for this, that or the other and being told it was drive in appointments only, as in drive in and either wait or leave the car essentially, a lot of these places seem to operate this way.

Luckily I've got a good relationship with Russell built up over 20 years + and so I was in at 8.30 and taken more or less straight away.

I just got them to leave the centre caps off and re fitted them myself, pressure set to 32psi and torqued to 125nm, all in the not so gentle Scottish Autumnal rain coming down at a 45 degree angle.

No TPMS warnings and no ride height / compressor issues to speak of either, all good apart from being £730 lighter

M.O.T. should be Thursday morning

Jim

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
I think your used tyres could be worth around £100 a pair.
I have bought and sold a couple over the years on eBay, to match up after punctures and things.
The problem I always have is posting them. For some reason the parcel companies think tyres are some sort of contraband.
The last one I had to wrap up like a present so they couldn’t tell what it was. Then they took it.

Here are the last two I sold.
New but punctured Yokohama from the BMW sold for £65. Half the new cost.
Michelin pilot super sport 5-6mm from the Jag £90.
Pairs of tyres are more saleable.

·
Registered
2020 Seat Ateca 2.0T FR 4Drive
674 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,175 ·
I think your used tyres could be worth around £100 a pair.
I have bought and sold a couple over the years on eBay, to match up after punctures and things.
The problem I always have is posting them. For some reason the parcel companies think tyres are some sort of contraband.
The last one I had to wrap up like a present so they couldn’t tell what it was. Then they took it.

Here are the last two I sold.
New but punctured Yokohama from the BMW sold for £65. Half the new cost.
Michelin pilot super sport 5-6mm from the Jag £90.
Pairs of tyres are more saleable.
Yep, I usually let them go for around £100 thereabouts, good for someone to track their car with them or similar

Are quite happy to ship tyres at not awful prices, i think last time i sold a pair it was about £20
Absolutely RatPC, used them a few times to move alloys around, pretty good too

Jim

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,177 ·
Weren't you thinking £100 for all four? I think that's quite cheap.
Hi MrKis, you may be right, but...

The rears are at around 3.5mm and the fronts maybe 4mm

They noted very slight feathering on the outer edges, very light mind and still legal, so I thought £100 was fair. That said, they're away as we speak, or will be later.

Same guy that had my last set, I gave him a call, he tracks his car and uses them for that, so a win all round there.

The Icarsoft LRV2 may be going today too, ad a message earlier guy to call back tonight, and another just 10 minutes ago, some guy wants it for his Land Rover, so that'll be another £80 back in the pot.

Jim

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Asdatyres are currently the cheapest when I checked a couple of weeks back when I did mine, but the "local" fitting was a 20 mile round trip.

Blackcircles could fit more locally, but rarely competitive nowadays.

So I was perfectly happy to pay £20 more than I would have done online, as I like to use local places, and it was less hassle - I dumped the wheels down one morning (along with some spare pressure sensors "just in case") and picked them up at my convenience.

I bet I would have burned £8 in fuel and lost a couple of hours of my life with the Asdatyres/Justtyres place. So I'm happy, and have that warm feeling of helping local businesses :)

Or maybe that warm feeling is incontinence again....

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Hi MrKis, you may be right, but...

The rears are at around 3.5mm and the fronts maybe 4mm

They noted very slight feathering on the outer edges, very light mind and still legal, so I thought £100 was fair. That said, they're away as we speak, or will be later.

Same guy that had my last set, I gave him a call, he tracks his car and uses them for that, so a win all round there.

The Icarsoft LRV2 may be going today too, ad a message earlier guy to call back tonight, and another just 10 minutes ago, some guy wants it for his Land Rover, so that'll be another £80 back in the pot.

Jim
Nice one Jim, might be raining but everything in the garden is looking rosy :giggle:

7161 - 7180 of 7232 Posts