Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all after a 2 year absence I've just purchased a 2004 3.0 SE in British racing green with Ivory interior for my lady and after a faultless 80 mile drive home and daily use a few things,which were expected really,have cropped up,firstly which was noticed on the test drive
The speedo is out of position the needle starts at around the 170mph position and gently sweeps along the bottom.Is there a reset method ?
The climate control does not get warm at all.Is there a way to test the dccv to confirm it's faulty?
and there is not sat nav disc are copies readily available or am I going to have to pay £50-60 for one ?
any advice on these much appreciated thanks

I had a 'park brake fault' when I picked her up and after a battery disconnect reset this has not returned
There is 98,000 on the clock with good history and a few receipts for various work done over the last 5 years 2 owners last one for 7 years.
Drive wise all feels great silky smooth ride no noises whatsoever over the speed humps and pot holes body and paint apart from a bumper scuff which will be dealt with is really good for 13 years and the wheels are unmarked the interior is all good apart from a small tear in the centre piece of one rear door card which I'll sort,eventually,all in all I believe I have got my wife a really good car at an unbelievably cheap as price so after I sort out the known issues I will book it in for a pre mot health check and see how it fairs...

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Hi and welcome back

You would probably need a mongoose or a clone to check out the speedo etc. They are really cheap now. Then you would need to find a copy of SDD/IDS program v1.30 to work on the car easily but that can be arranged easily.

To get a copy of the manual go to Jagrepair.com as pdf or here for a computer program https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/...stall-method-new-jtis21-s-type-archive-66031/

Do you know if the oil has been canged in the gearbox. The zf is not sealed for life. if you google it you will find a few videos on youtube on how to do it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
To diagnose the climate control, this is the site to check out - http://jaguarclimatecontrol.com/diagnose/

Satnav discs are available for £25 on ebay, the latest is, I think, 2011, I got one for my S Type and it works perfectly.

IDS/SDD software + mongoose cable is around £100 from British Diagnostics. Runs best on XP Pro apparently and preferably on a dedicated laptop with no internet connection (if it updates, you're screwed apparently!)

·
Registered
6,393 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Hi all after a 2 year absence I've just purchased a 2004 3.0 SE in British racing green with Ivory interior for my lady and after a faultless 80 mile drive home and daily use a few things,which were expected really,have cropped up,firstly which was noticed on the test drive
The speedo is out of position the needle starts at around the 170mph position and gently sweeps along the bottom.Is there a reset method ?
The climate control does not get warm at all.Is there a way to test the dccv to confirm it's faulty?
and there is not sat nav disc are copies readily available or am I going to have to pay £50-60 for one ?
any advice on these much appreciated thanks

I had a 'park brake fault' when I picked her up and after a battery disconnect reset this has not returned
There is 98,000 on the clock with good history and a few receipts for various work done over the last 5 years 2 owners last one for 7 years.
Drive wise all feels great silky smooth ride no noises whatsoever over the speed humps and pot holes body and paint apart from a bumper scuff which will be dealt with is really good for 13 years and the wheels are unmarked the interior is all good apart from a small tear in the centre piece of one rear door card which I'll sort,eventually,all in all I believe I have got my wife a really good car at an unbelievably cheap as price so after I sort out the known issues I will book it in for a pre mot health check and see how it fairs...
Hi hoolio

Practical points...

Sills might be rusted. Thrt have plastic oversills do you can't check easily. You need to buy a set of the screw clips then remove the covers, check for rust and refit them.

The rear Subframe mounting points rust. Check from under.

Rubber suspension joint gaiters perish and split. Check from under.

Propshaft front & rear rubber doughnuts perish. Centre bearing wears but not often.

Rattling plate above propshaft.

The rest is like any car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
640 Posts
test the speedo/instruments instructions here

·
Registered
6,393 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks although a different model I did this yesterday scrolling with the ML/km button on the trip computer got the needle to sit at zero but it was very jerky and took several attempts to seat it not sure if it's going to be correct will see how it goes.

Dont worry about the software I will send you alink to SDD/IDS 1.30 it is free on oa nother jag forum
cheers ducmon

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yes I can understand why you think a 6 speed manual gearbox could improve the overall performance. I had my S -Type for nearly 10 years and always thought it could have done with an extra higher gear. Mine had the 2.5 version of the same 3ltr engine and it gave a very good overall performance. The manual versions had lower gearing than the auto models. At 70mph in 5th gear the rev counter indicated 2750 rpms or thereby, whereas the 6 speed autos at the same road speed were showing in the region of 2250 rpms. Now whether this related to a lower diff ratio, or the overall gearbox/diff gearing, I never really found out. Maybe worth checking if there is a higher diff ratio available to help to reduce the engine revs on long distance runs. My S could quite comfortably pull away in 5th gear from below 25 mph without there being any signs of transmission snatch or engine labouring.
Wish you well with your new purchase and hope you have many happy miles with it.
Must say I am still missing my S-Type.
Regards,
Telfer.
Transferred to Post by 2004 S-Type Sport.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
The Engineering Test Mode procedure is in a Jaguar Technical Bulletin.

The links to it are in a thread in our... ???

I'll let other members put the rest and the link in, they should know.

What if I should one day disappear? :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Great to see you still posting Telfer the Forum misses your contribution as much as you miss the S Type
Thanks Red and trust you are fine and keeping well. I seem to have posted my above reply in the wrong Thread, need to try and transfer it to the correct one. Must be an age thing :)
Regards,
Telfer.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Thanks Red and trust you are fine and keeping well. I seem to have posted my above reply in the wrong Thread, need to try and transfer it to the correct one. Must be an age thing :)
Regards,
Telfer.
Good to see you Telfer, definite missed you! :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Fine thanks Telfer , how is the ASX performing ? it must easily be six months now , still pleased with it ?
Hi Red,
Yes I'm very pleased with the ASX its doing well and has proved to be a good purchase todate. Not as smooth running as the S but has some very good features with the ease of entry etc a great benefit and we are both enjoying that. With the dark nights approaching I am finding the Headlights a great improvement and they are the best I have had in any car, They have a neutral dip action and light up both(no adjustment needed if crossing to France) sides of a narrow road, highlighting
the kerb areas very well indeed.
I have wondered if they annoy other road users but so far nobody has flashed at them so they seem okay from that aspect to. Road noise is a bit higher on some surfaces but in general it is okay. Keyless entry, automatic wipers and lighting, black out rear windows heated front seats, a good spec for the money. So far all is good.
Regards,
Telfer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A quick update heating control valve changed,worst part was getting the electrical connector off :rolleyes: so now have heat..found sat nav disc under passenger seat result..will need further investigation regarding the speedo as after doing the engineer reset the issue returns a few days later,,,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.