Just scored an X-Type Sovereign Estate - Bonnet mascot or not?

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Thing is, if it was an XJ you wouldn't hesitate. The X is just an XJ that hasn't fully grown yet so it makes sense to put one on him - he's going to get one when he becomes a man so why not let him have it early?

TMW

Scruffy Puppy

Reaction score
I guess it's all down to personal taste, there are a couple around Coventry with them fitted and every time I see one I just picture Austin Powers jumping out of the drivers seat shouting 'Yeah Baby Yeah'.

PalaceXType

Reaction score
As someone else pointed out and I agree with them - it is down to the shape of the bonnet. It looks - to me - odd on an X-Type and fine on an XJ. And as everyone has said it is personal choice at the end of the day.

RWD3M

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Thing is, if it was an XJ you wouldn't hesitate. The X is just an XJ that hasn't fully grown yet so it makes sense to put one on him - he's going to get one when he becomes a man so why not let him have it early?

TMW
So perhaps just a small one then :)

1955davidr

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Distinctly marmite in my opinion, my late X358 had one as it was japanese market car and I liked it, have fitted one to each of Mrs R's S types and have seen plenty of X's with them, so go for it if you want one. I did plenty of research before hand and do not believe they are illegal as many infer, just make sure it is spring loaded to satisfy the PC brigade.

rob1966

Reaction score
Distinctly marmite in my opinion, my late X358 had one as it was japanese market car and I liked it, have fitted one to each of Mrs R's S types and have seen plenty of X's with them, so go for it if you want one. I did plenty of research before hand and do not believe they are illegal as many infer, just make sure it is spring loaded to satisfy the PC brigade.

You can be fined if not fitted correctly and a solidly fixed leaper will fall under that.

Mascots​

53.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), no mascot, emblem or other ornamental object shall be carried by a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st October 1937 in any position where it is likely to strike any person with whom the vehicle may collide unless the mascot is not liable to cause injury to such person by reason of any projection thereon.

(2) Instead of complying with the requirements of paragraph (1) a vehicle may comply with Community Directive 74/483 or 79/488 or ECE Regulation 26.01.

Offence code RC86055 covers this, ÂŁ50 fine.

Jades

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
I guess it's all down to personal taste, there are a couple around Coventry with them fitted and every time I see one I just picture Austin Powers jumping out of the drivers seat shouting 'Yeah Baby Yeah'.
If you fit a leaper to your X-Type you'll at least spare us the embarrassment of me trying to get into your car if you ever visit Durham. :D