Key recognition problems - car won't start

Blesedman

Reaction score
You need all or diagnostic and service. But you don't need payed Topix . If you install SSD you need to disconnect it from the internet and you need to set the time/date again to a older date. I would advice to use a VM with Oracle VM.

Maybe easier for you:

Get and install Forscan: https://forscan.org/download.html and get a extended license: https://forscan.org/support/prepare_trial_el_request.php?lang=en

And install the correct driver for your mongoose. In the setting select your mongoose . Now connect the mongoose to the car and laptop and check if there is a connection.

I would advice to hook up the battery charger and the laptop charger.
Good morning @capri v8 driver,

My name is Blesedman and it sounds like you understand the Jaguar software process. I have a nightmare on my hand. I had a battery go dead on my 2013 Jaguar XF 5 months ago and now I get the message "Unable To Find Smart Key." My car will not start. Long story short, I had an expert key guy, from my local dealer auction, get me 2 new keys, a new KVM from the dealer and programmed them. Car still won't start. Took the car to the dealer and they are worthless and inexperienced. They told me I had to buy a new instrument cluster (throwing parts at it - guessing) to possibly fix the car. I am stuck. Can I pay you to help me with the hardware and software needed to solve my problem?
Thanks, Blesedman

Last edited by a moderator:

MrKis

Reaction score
Good morning CapriV* driver,

My name is Blesedman and it sounds like you understand the Jaguar software process. I have a nightmare on my hand. I had a battery go dead on my 2013 Jaguar XF 5 months ago and now I get the message "Unable To Find Smart Key." My car will not start. Long story short, I had an expert key guy, from my local dealer auction, get me 2 new keys, a new KVM from the dealer and programmed them. Car still won't start. Took the car to the dealer and they are worthless and inexperienced. They told me I had to buy a new instrument cluster (throwing parts at it - guessing) to possibly fix the car. I am stuck. Can I pay you to help me with the hardware and software needed to solve my problem?
Thanks, Blesedman
I'd start a thread in the XF section for your issue. Having SDD or an icarsoft device which can read all the Jaguar modules will help but it won't magically tell you exactly what is wrong.
It might be a bit of a process to get the fault corrected. I have seen similar threads in the past to your issues, the search function is not the best on this site.

JimC64

Reaction score
Had the same problem when my XJ X351 was in for some paint work, battery went dead and keys not recognised.

We ended up disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes and then she eventually fired back up all ok

Jim

PetA

Reaction score
Good morning @capri v8 driver,

Thanks, Blesedman
"Unable To Find Smart Key." after a battery disconnect (or flat battery which is effectively the same thing) is fairly common on facelift XF's. Basically the CJB/BCM (Central Junction Box)/(Body Control Module) becomes corrupted in the memory department, it can usually be reprogrammed to work temporarily with SDD but will fail again if you disconnect the battery or if the battery goes flat again.

A new or second hand CJB is the normal cure but both will still need to be programmed with SDD by using a 'back up' from the RJB (Rear Junction Box), the faulty one can however, be sent off to a couple of people who can then reprogram it permanently.

It can also be caused by a leaking windscreen washer pump which will 'pump/wick' fluid up the cables causing corrosion in the CJB, see @johnw777's post here for a picture: https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/xf-electrical-problems-and-fix.117533/post-1369209

If it's a Sportbrake the CJB is actually slightly differently laid out and it won't be that connector/s but will be similar (I THINK, it's the 'lower' blue connector).

The CJB is on the right hand side of the right hand front footwell.

capri v8 driver

Reaction score
Can I pay you to help me with the hardware and software needed to solve my problem?

I'm based in the south of the Netherlands. I don't know where you are from.

Do you have a key that works? Can you still lock and unlock the doors with the fob? You may have a new battery but if the voltage is to low you can get this message. BTW does your car come with 2 batteries?

Could be that you need to select a country. Select you country and then copy the link again in to your browser.

Maybe handy:

A new or second hand CJB is the normal cure

Why would you buy a second hand module? Chances are that they fail in the same way.

Blesedman

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I live in the United States. I can't lock the doors with the key fob. I can't start the car. I have 2 new batteries
and new batteries in the trunk.

PetA

Reaction score
A new or second hand CJB is the normal cure

Why would you buy a second hand module? Chances are that they fail in the same way.
Because failure rate is actually very low and pretty unlikely.. and I guess people don't generally like paying £650 or so on a new item?

You'd have to ask someone who actually bought second hand as to why.

capri v8 driver

Reaction score
Because failure rate is actually very low and pretty unlikely.. and I guess people don't generally like paying £650 or so on a new item?

You'd have to ask someone who actually bought second hand as to why.

Before you would spend your money you want to make sure its defective module?

What Blesedman could try is go to the dealer and have the car checked for fault codes and have the keys add true the service option.

Since he is living in the states and I in the Netherlands going over there is no option But i would love to give a ELM327 and Forscan a try.