Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
XFRS, XKR, XKRS, F Type R, F Type SVR, F Pace SVR, XKR
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying Tip (y)

NOTE. This is not meant to be "Damming or Critical" in any way, shape or form, just informative.

Approximately 5 years back I looked at purchasing an Ultra Blue F Type SVR, very beautiful car. The car
was less than 12 months old and the salesman advised it was a 1 owner car, 8,000 miles, and it was fully loaded with almost every extra. He continued with "it would come with a new service, fully valeted, all ready to go".

He asked me what was I doing when I got inside and turned the steering to full LOCK and then got out to inspected the front tires? Well, I had noticed that the tips of all 4 exhausts were blue, there titanium on the SVR, and immediately my suspicions were raised.

The tires were on the 'TWI' bar (Tire Wear Indicator, see image), every tire has one. I then proceeded to rub my finger on the lip / edge of the front discs and there was a sizeable lip on them. I used my phones torch / light to look at the pads, they were very low. It had only done 8000 miles?

I asked the salesman who was the previous owner, Lewis Hamilton ?, to which he replied its been a Jaguar car, probably an management / executive as its fully loaded. Little did he know that I had been invited down to Gaydon on a Jaguar's customer experience day earlier that year, where one of the Jaguar tech's had pointed out to me on how to spot a car that has been used for customer experiences / track day cars or even a media - Journalism - press cars etc.

Basically, check the exhaust tips they only go blue when they've been absolutely thrashed, used all day and have got incredibly hot, check the front tires, check edge - rim on the break discs to see if there's a lip and also for wear on the pads.

A few months later I was watching some YouTube videos on 'F' Types and would you believe it, the above car that I had look at was on video.

I am not saying these are bad cars, as they will still come with the manufactures warranty, have been serviced and parts changed if required. But personally, it's not for me, I just don't fancy owning a car that from new has been used so aggressively, by possible 40 to 50 different drivers for the above activities, for the first 12 months of its life.
Of course there are true - genuine Jaguar management cars out there that have not be exposed to the above level of treatment. So, if your like me then just check what I checked first before buying, as this way at least you know what your getting.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wood

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All good advice and things I check when buying a car (well not the exhaust tips but everything else). When you said worn brakes and tyres at 8K I was thinking must have been a track day car.
That said, you're lucky they hadn't prepped it properly before retailing it. Had they done so, they may well have already replaced the tyres and brakes, leaving you unsure what the history was, though I guess the opposite is also true, new brakes and tyres at 8k should equally ring alarm bells.
Thank you 'jberks', and yes indeed but I like to think I am a little more anal / OD / savvy etc. when it comes to purchasing a car and would have picked up on the worn driver's side seat bolsters, heavily scratched peddles, various scuffs and marks on the steering wheel, plus lots of scratches on the kick plates, suggesting there has been various sizes of people driving the car.

My post was aimed at everyone but particularly people who may not be as savvy as we are :cool:.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, good advice.
Just one thing to add - from all reports and my experience the F-Type wears the rear tyres twice as fast as the fronts so check the rear tread depths as well (and the wear pattern) they may be at or below the wear indicators already. If the rears show more tread depth than the fronts they have surely been replaced, so check the date codes front and rear and compare them to confirm.
Also, very good advice. In my case, yes, the rears were in a worst state than the fronts and the saleman did say they have ordered new tyres. If I was the dealership principal, then I would not have shown the car for sale until the tyres had been replaced, and done perhaps 100 miles or so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts