Jaguar Forum banner

Kurdish Independance

7094 Views 43 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Jim_S-V6_2004
The inevitable has started here this morning!

An artillery dual between Iraq Government forces and the Kurds south of Kirkuk.

With our dysfunctional foreign policy we've ended up with UK forces "advising" on both sides.

By a stroke of good fortune I've been offered a job down in the Falklands so I'm currently working my notice.

I hope to be out of here before our departure resembles Saigon in 1975.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
The inevitable has started here this morning!

An artillery dual between Iraq Government forces and the Kurds south of Kirkuk.

With our dysfunctional foreign policy we've ended up with UK forces "advising" on both sides.

By a stroke of good fortune I've been offered a job down in the Falklands so I'm currently working my notice.

I hope to be out of here before our departure resembles Saigon in 1975.
Good luck in the Falklands, a bit colder than Erbil.

On the positive side, the Kurds are far better fighters than the Iraqi's so you are pretty safe. You can always duck out down the back roads to either Suli or Dahuk if Kirkuk goes belly up. If you go to Dahuk, there is probably the best roast chicken shop in Iraq on the hill outside of the town.

Never liked Kirkuk, we always used to by pass it until we were asked to build a VSat station at their exchange. One of those places that is in the open and can go to hell in a handbasket very quickly.

Keep you head down.

Tony
Hope you already shipped the Jag out Chris! ;)
They have Hueys in Iraq?
Now people are beginning to see the problems that exists in Iraq. As I have said in earlier posts, this is a mutli way issue between Sunni/Shia, Sunni/Talibani Kurd, Sunni/Barzani Kurd, Shia/Talibani Kurd, Shia/Barzani Kurd, Talibani Kurd/Barzani Kurd and these are just the main factions. Throw in the Turks and Syrians and you have an issue that will stew away for decades if not centuries.

We in the West worship the Great God Democracy and would force it on all others.

Oh well, at least my shares in armanents manufacturers are a safe bet for many years to come.

Watch now as the saviours of Iraq re ISIS, move back to their natural and easily defended borders and let Iraq suffer again in an ISIS revival. Why should they help the Iraqi arabs who have wanted their destruction for hundreds of years?

Chris, enjoy your remaining time in Erbil. Try and buy a good Samovar in the Suq. They are fantastic. Don't go cheap but buy the best you can (not electric), you can sell it in Europe for ten times what you will pay for it.

Tony
See less See more
They have Hueys in Iraq?
Canadian's fly Hueys out here.
Chris, enjoy your remaining time in Erbil. Try and buy a good Samovar in the Suq. They are fantastic. Don't go cheap but buy the best you can (not electric), you can sell it in Europe for ten times what you will pay for it.

Tony
I like a nice "mash"! My Iraqi Electrician is going to look for one for me.
Good luck in the south Atlantic Chris. Good have been N. Korea:). Remember, they still have minefields out there. Why is everyone wanting to become independent these days? Jocks, Catalans and now the Kurds who, in fairness have been pushing for a state of their own for years, especially from Turkey.
I like a nice "mash"! My Iraqi Electrician is going to look for one for me.
Are you serious? Only a tea pot?

Go for a couple of boxed Shishas too, and some proper baccy. Not the Egyptian mess of muck goo and dead insects! Yuk.
Are you serious? Only a tea pot?

Go for a couple of boxed Shishas too, and some proper baccy. Not the Egyptian mess of muck goo and dead insects! Yuk.
Jim, you have to live in Erbil to appreciate the finer things in life. Hubblies (Shishas) are really, really bad for the health. Food and drink however....

Erbil has two really red hot chicken rotisseries and at the Erbil Tarwar Hotel they do the best pirzola and Zab river fish/chips you can imagine. Sloshed down with a few bottles of local gut rot you forget about everything. The only problem used to be that hygiene in the hotels bedrooms was not top of their priorities. We preferred the local business men's hotels to ones like the Chwar Chra (beloved by NGOs and Americans) as it was always coming under bomb attacks...I wonder why?

Chris's problem is (I think) that he is restricted to certain areas only and does not have the "freedom of the city". This is a real shame.

Chris, enjoy it while you can it is very safe compared with other cities. You will miss it when you are in the Falklands.

Tony
See less See more
Jim, you have to live in Erbil to appreciate the finer things in life. Hubblies (Shishas) are really, really bad for the health. Food and drink however....

Erbil has two really red hot chicken rotisseries and at the Erbil Tarwar Hotel they do the best pirzola and Zab river fish/chips you can imagine. Sloshed down with a few bottles of local gut rot you forget about everything. The only problem used to be that hygiene in the hotels bedrooms was not top of their priorities. We preferred the local business men's hotels to ones like the Chwar Chra (beloved by NGOs and Americans) as it was always coming under bomb attacks...I wonder why?

Chris's problem is (I think) that he is restricted to certain areas only and does not have the "freedom of the city". This is a real shame.

Chris, enjoy it while you can it is very safe compared with other cities. You will miss it when you are in the Falklands.

Tony
This is certainly my problem! Restricted to a patch approx. 200yds x 200yds! :-(
Now people are beginning to see the problems that exists in Iraq. As I have said in earlier posts, this is a mutli way issue between Sunni/Shia, Sunni/Talibani Kurd, Sunni/Barzani Kurd, Shia/Talibani Kurd, Shia/Barzani Kurd, Talibani Kurd/Barzani Kurd and these are just the main factions. Throw in the Turks and Syrians and you have an issue that will stew away for decades if not centuries.

We in the West worship the Great God Democracy and would force it on all others.

Oh well, at least my shares in armanents manufacturers are a safe bet for many years to come.

Watch now as the saviours of Iraq re ISIS, move back to their natural and easily defended borders and let Iraq suffer again in an ISIS revival. Why should they help the Iraqi arabs who have wanted their destruction for hundreds of years?

Tony
It's a pity they don't have a strong dictator that could hold it all together!!!
Chris I didn't know you were there before this thread or I wouldn't have given you any backchat in earlier threads.

Keep your head down now it's hotting up.

We've got a couple of really beautiful glass-bowl decorated Shishas we bought in Kuwait. Memorabilia.

I used to smoke shishas there but we don't here. It's a social thing to share one with friends with a pot of tea or coffee.

Do you mean the Russian style Samovar with several taps?

Samovar wasn't known in Kuwait, tea was served without ceremony. In a private Saudi home (uh... Palace! I was served coffee by the tallest skinniest man's manservant I've ever seen, he must have been 7 footer and elegant as a giraffe, from a huge swan-neck pot.

From a nozzle distance of over 2 feet he poured right into the tiny shot-sized coffee cups without spillage. But I needed 4 fillups before I shook my cup to let him go. Amazing green coffee. Strained through horses mane hair. How kewl was that? Lots!

So turning on a tap on a Samovar has no pression on me! ;)

Memories. Collect them as you go.

See less See more
It's a pity they don't have a strong dictator that could hold it all together!!!
But... They did!

So did Libya.

The factions still rebelled from time to time but both dictators kept the peace, Saddam by killing a couple of hundred when necessary and Ghaddafi by paying them.

Let's do it again, eh, get rid of more dictators and enforce democracy so they can kill more as the new factions struggle against each other for control while we then turn a blind eye to what we caused.

Blair for the first rope! And Straw for the second.

But Erdogan is taking it to extreme. He wants to execute thousands of innocent citizens he arrested through his false "coup" which gave him the cover, just because they support opposition parties.

He does need to be deposed, but apparently 64% of his Gullibles in and out of Turkey support him.

More Turkish coffee, waiter!
See less See more
What is unjust is that no matter how they don't get on, the Kurds united with the Iraqis and did most of the fighting against IS in the region, while the Turks were still oppressing their families in their towns and villages.

And now the Iraqis have turned against them with the Turks.

The Kurds won't give up, just like Afghans (and Ms Sturgeon to 0.00000001%) they only know to fight for independence.

But unlike Ms Sturgeon they will die for their cause.

All they need is weapons, ammo, and some food.

This isn't over by a long shot, it's a new beginning. If they can get support from IS they will take it.

And they will strengthen IS if that happens.

Our governments too daft to see this?

Bad times beginning? BUT I truly hope not.
See less See more
...we hard two large "bangs" and the rattle of small arms fire just north of us last night.

It's more likely to have been a wedding celebration than anything more sinister.

I hope....
I hope so old mate . I was just reading about an exploding oven in Nandos yesterday , someone shouted bomb and total chaos ensued ,
hard not to laugh but this is the fear you live under nowadays
...we hard two large "bangs" and the rattle of small arms fire just north of us last night.

It's more likely to have been a wedding celebration than anything more sinister.

I hope....
North is no problem, that's all Kurdish territory. When it comes from the west, that's the time to hit the road.

Stuck in you box Chris, you would not be able to join in with these celebrations but you were right.

The Kurds all pile into their trucks and drive out to some scenic spots for the usual photos. En route they decide to "test the guns" in the air. We had several instances of minor injuries when eventually the bullets come down. Crazy bunch.

On the night of the capture of Sadam, Erbil went crazy. The Kurds were just driving around, singing and shouting all firing their guns and rifles in the air. More than a few injuries that night.

Just keep your head down.

Tony
See less See more
They think bullets fired into the air, or ones which miss, disappear.

Like Yank cops on TV, when they surround a suspect and fire but neither the target nor anybody behind the target gets hit.

I hope the Yank cops don't do that in real life? :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.