Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just to say I'm very happy with the LED upgrades. Main, dipped, side and fogs (driving lamps) all done. Gives a very bright, white light. Bit of a pain to fit as I had to remove the front bumper, (this is necessary on some models). Well worth the effort though!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
How far does the beam throw - in terms of feet?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would say roughly the same distance as the original bulbs on dipped, only far whiter. Main beam seems to go on forever! Fogs (driving lamps) don't offer a great deal of illumination, more like DRL's.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
They do look good.

Is your front suspension a bit high?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Haha, you're not the first to mention that! It looks high as I had just lowered the car off the axle stands, the shocks and springs were still a bit extended. It's sitting normally now.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Cloud

Attachments

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Ah, much better!

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Smart looking motor you got there mate :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks - I didn't know you could get LED bulbs for car headlights but it makes sense when you think about it. Which bulbs did you use and is it an easy fit - I mean any different to the normal hassle? I had a quick look for bulbs and all the ones I found include a heat sink at the back so presumably the cover does not fit on and what about the bulb retaining clip?. I also presume you just clip it onto the 12V headlight supply? There are also some reports of CANBUS errors - is this a current measurement thing as the headlight unit has no sensors built in? Final thought - was is the legality of this upgrade?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
They do look good but for me its more important that I can see better. You say that the light output (throw) isn't that much better than stock; for me that's a problem as my eyes are 62 years old. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, actually I said the fog lights didn't give off an improved light, they just look good. The dipped beam has the same distance range as the originals, only much whiter. I do find them a great improvement on the originals. The main beam is fantastic, great distance coverage and fantastic white illumination. BTW, I'm 63!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks - I didn't know you could get LED bulbs for car headlights but it makes sense when you think about it. Which bulbs did you use and is it an easy fit - I mean any different to the normal hassle? I had a quick look for bulbs and all the ones I found include a heat sink at the back so presumably the cover does not fit on and what about the bulb retaining clip?. I also presume you just clip it onto the 12V headlight supply? There are also some reports of CANBUS errors - is this a current measurement thing as the headlight unit has no sensors built in? Final thought - was is the legality of this upgrade?
Hi, can't find the link to the ones I bought but I will post a link to similar ones. Fitting them is no different to fitting normal bulbs, however I had to use a small cable tie to keep the bulb retaining clips in place. The rear covers still fit over the fan units on the LED bulbs, it is advisable to drill a few small holes in the covers to aid heat dispersion. No canbus errors as no sensors. As for the legality I have read of many people who have them fitted have had no problems with MOT test.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2XCREE-N...059447&hash=item2832ac81e9:g:T2AAAOSw~y9ZArlv

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hi, can't find the link to the ones I bought but I will post a link to similar ones. Fitting them is no different to fitting normal bulbs, however I had to use a small cable tie to keep the bulb retaining clips in place. The rear covers still fit over the fan units on the LED bulbs, it is advisable to drill a few small holes in the covers to aid heat dispersion. No canbus errors as no sensors. As for the legality I have read of many people who have them fitted have had no problems with MOT test.
Thank you this information; it will help many of us that decide to go down this route.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Looks very nice, I might go this route once you've tested them for a while!

200 w per lamp is a lot of extra load though.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Surely LED's don't run at 200 watts. I reckon that refers to the equivalent output of a tungsten halogen lamp.

·
Registered
640 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
I wasnt aware that you could get LED headlight and High beam bulbs.
Mine has the Xenon headlights but all the other bulbs are (were) normal bulbs until i replaced the sidelights and indicators with a very nice result, especially as the sidelight colour now matches the dip perfectly. Main beam i replaced with some 150% brighter jobs from Hellfrauds (again, great!)

I plan on replacing all the other bulbs on the car with LED's once i have found a buyer for my Kidneys.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Surely LED's don't run at 200 watts. I reckon that refers to the equivalent output of a tungsten halogen lamp.
You can get 200w leds, but they require a serious amount of cooling, and they are pretty large, even a 50w led cob chip requires a fairly large heatsink, most of the Chinese bulbs give a watt equivalent as you say, though most are overrated.
Led technology is getting better but from what I've seen and tried I'll stick to HID, I had 80w Cree fog lights and the lights while bright were not giving a good spread of light for use in fog, too much dispersed light, switched to 55w hid and the low wide spread of light is back, just brighter.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Its bad enough to lose any kind (Halogen or HID) of headlight while driving -- especially in transit. But to lose an LED that certainly isn't readily available at your local gear-shop - you'd better carry a couple spares in the trunk and at home for emergency.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Its bad enough to lose any kind (Halogen or HID) of headlight while driving -- especially in transit. But to lose an LED that certainly isn't readily available at your local gear-shop - you'd better carry a couple spares in the trunk and at home for emergency.
True, and while leds have one of the longest service lives of lights they don't when overdriven or overheated.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.