Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

(Lawrence Binyon 1869-1943)

We will remember them

·
Registered
640 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,799 Posts
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
A part of me thinks we should do our best to forget. Because it reminds us of a time when the world got it wrong again. We should learn from our mistakes, not keep bringing them to the fore.

It's in the past, we can't go back and alter it. I know a lot of people died, on all sides and I know a lot of attrocities happened on all sides, I know it's an important part of our history, of world history, but sometimes, usually after I've again fought back the tears when I hear the post, I think enough is enough. I don't think using the word "Sacrifice" is honest.

There wasn't a choice when these people went to die somewhere, they were there because once again establishment got it wrong. History does tell us there were lots of missed opportunities that could have been used to prevent much of what went on.

It didn't really prevent the same thing happening again, there's still "Ethnic Cleansing" going on today for instance.

I'm pretty sure this won't be a popular view.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel,lost one,that you should visit the Menhiem Gate in Ypres sometime soon.

There,each evening,there is held a short Rememberence Service,with the Last Post blown by a member of the local fire brigade.
On the re-built gate it's self are engraved the names of thousands of First World War victims who have no known grave.

Our visit there about 15 months ago make a profound impression upon us.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Yes, I really do get this, I've been places that I don't ever wish to go back to because they have an atmosphere. Even after all this time.

But I really feel that sometimes it's a little mawkish, and we should perhaps celebrate the fact that the war achieved it's aim, not be so depressed about it as if it's something we miss. It's over, it achieved it's aim, time to move on.

Although clearly there's a whole industry that relies on it for funding, which I support, that might be the main reason why it's lasting so long.
The thing is I feel it's self defeating, if you want an armed force, why would you want to remind them that politicians can send them off to be killed when it suits them?

Maybe I've got this all wrong, but I believe life achievements should be celebrated, not cried over.

Clearly I'm not ex military, I've not been indoctrinated into the "Queen and country" way of thinking.

Does that make sense?

·
Administrator
10,053 Posts
It’s not just about the first or 2nd world war, it’s about every conflict since then too. A time to remember and reflect on the people that gave their lives for the freedom we have today.

It’s a tradition that I hope never goes away, we should be thankful. The significance of it also gets taught in schools too so its not lost on the new generation.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If we cannot give up just a minute of our day,once a year,to remember those who laid down their lives for our freedom......

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Yes. Brings a lump to my throat every year I watch it. I was at work yesterday, I have some Romanians working on the glazing, at just before 11:00 I went up to halt them working for the two minutes, there was no need. They were watching it on their phones. It's not just us.

I'm not doing a very good job of this am I. Trying to point out that we should be celebrating that the wars achieved something rather than everyone being solemn about it. I'm pretty sure the soldiers and civilans that died as a result wouldn't want the sadness.

Was it "celebrated" during WW2?

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
Yes. Brings a lump to my throat every year I watch it. I was at work yesterday, I have some Romanians working on the glazing, at just before 11:00 I went up to halt them working for the two minutes, there was no need. They were watching it on their phones. It's not just us.

I'm not doing a very good job of this am I. Trying to point out that we should be celebrating that the wars achieved something rather than everyone being solemn about it. I'm pretty sure the soldiers and civilans that died as a result wouldn't want the sadness.

Was it "celebrated" during WW2?
Was what celebrated ? Remembrance Day dates from 1919 I think

·
Premium Member
17,799 Posts
It's not just about the first or 2nd world war, it's about every conflict since then too. A time to remember and reflect on the people that gave their lives for the freedom we have today.

It's a tradition that I hope never goes away, we should be thankful. The significance of it also gets taught in schools too so its not lost on the new generation.
If we cannot give up just a minute of our day,once a year,to remember those who laid down their lives for our freedom......
All of the above for me and more......

This was no small thing, no "mistake" it was a massive error in judgement, paid for by millions from all sides and walks of life

It's all very good knowing who you are and looking forward eagerly to the future, but you should know the past and use it as a guide as you move ahead surely?

At 53 I'm thinking more and more of my own mortality, my life and family. I'm proud of my family heritage and looking ahead trying to get an indication of where my 2 sons may take the family line. As I'm doing this my thoughts turn to my own dad, dead many years now and my paternal grandmother who I loved dearly. That brought memories of her siblings and thoughts of her parents.

For a year or two now I've been looking at our Ancestry and tracing back through the many generations ( some of the stuff I've found would make your hair stand on end, but I'm sure we all have skeletons to some degree )
I'm currently back at circa 1720 on the Isle of Islay at my 7 times great grandfather. I'm hoping to visit there, maybe next year, the farmhouse where they were born is still there and I have a photograph which blows my mind. All of the things I've found out, the good and the not so good and the bad, how they lived their lives and how they died, lots to think about. How each and every one of them lived their lives, the decisions they made at each turn is what got me to where I am today, that and the decisions I've made in my lifetime

These will all have far reaching effects on my sons and their lives I'm sure.
Makes you wonder though..........

I was so intent on looking forward into the future and that made me in turn look at and remember the past....not such a bad thing!

Jim

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Being an ex serving Pongo, I feel I can relate and talk about today's Remembrance parade.

First. Why is it that Navy Officers can never keep in step when marching?

Second. Just love the proud display of earned medals. The only thing that sticks in my craw is the fact that officers will be awarded medals for action their men carried out. They are deemed to have been responsible for the actions even if it meant heavy loss of life and therefore worthy even though they did not put their own skins at risk.

Third. I found it insulting to see the Earl of Wessex,KG, GCVO, CD, ADC(P) taking the salute. A free loader and hanger on who never saw a days actual service or action of any kind. What was wrong with the Princes who did serve taking the salute....****** insult.

But the serving men and women (both ex and current) make me proud to be among them.

Tony

P.S

The use of the title ADC(P) is an even bigger insult as this is meant for senior officers standing in.

G

·
I think we all know who deserves the respect of the nation and as always its the foot soldiers who took or still take the brunt of any hostilities. I enjoy today because I just love old soldiers strutting down past the cenotaph with real pride and rightly so we owe them all a debt that cannot actually be repaid.
My Dad did 6 years from being a young 19 year old kid in 1939 the best years of his life given to King and Country and he never ever complained or moaned or expected any respect or reward and he didn't get any as it happens.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
My Dad did 6 years from being a young 19 year old kid in 1939 the best years of his life given to King and Country and he never ever complained or moaned or expected any respect or reward and he didn't get any as it happens.
Your dad is the backbone of this country. Mine was the same, 6 years in WW2 and no thanks at the end and did not ask for any. Just did his duty.

Be proud of him.

Tony

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.