Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating changing the 2011 XFS for a 2009 XFR.

I know what to look for regarding the body and rattles etc. but the 5L supercharged engine is new to me.

What thing should be looked for at that age and mileage.

· Registered
970 Posts
You will probably find a harder ride as I did, going from a 2007 XJR to a 2010 XFR and apart from the occasional 'low battery' warning and the erratic ATMS, the car has been faultless since I got it a year ago. Insurance cost also was a shock ! An Indy turned off the ATMS. Mileage was 49k and now is 62k.

· Registered
1,692 Posts
Coolant leaks are what you need to look for. Water pumps are a weak point on this engine

· Registered
1,840 Posts
What surprised me with my 5.0 XFR was how noisy the engine is compared to my 3 previous 4.2 XJR's.
It's all to do with the direct injection pumps apparently.
Fantastic car though.

· Registered
118 Posts
getting points for speeding... :) and the tread depth of the rear tyres.
I think the engine is pretty strong, but FSH from a reputable dealer or indy is a must imo

· Registered
1,840 Posts
I certainly cannot say that I noticed this...
Hi Litho.

I noticed it when I was stood next to the right wing area with the engine running.
It prompted me to take it to an Indy in Macclesfield who said that it's normal and due to the high fuel pressures with direct injection. I've since heard a few on the tube that sound the same.
I'm not sure if having a different exhaust enhances the noise of the pumps though.

Cheers. Les.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Another thing to watch out for on an XFR of that age is a rattling/clunking supercharger coupler / torsion isolator, resulting from the spring inside the coupler eating away at the surrounding plastic. It's not uncommon on higher mileage AJ133 SC motors.
At cold idle it sounds like a handful of marbles in a tin can sitting on top of the supercharger, and then when you shut the engine down there can be a loud "clunk" as the spring does it's job.
See here for a basic explanation: http://www.superchargersonline.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=57

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Mine has a receipt for a new Supercharger at 52,300 miles. Mustn't be the most reliable blower on the market.
I hope the new ones have been modified.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.