Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm thinking of converting to a Jag XF 3.0d s, I currently drive a BMW 3 series E90 3.0d which I think is a fantastic diesel to drive it's very quick, comfortable and also quite good on fuel but now I need a bigger car. I've been look at the XF diesel twin turbo, it's a very nice looking car and seems so much more refined than my VMW but I do have a few questions to ask, so I thought I'd ask you guys if that's ok

Firstly I took an XF 3.0d s out for a test run the other day the car felt fantastic to drive but and it's a big but the car felt very sluggish to drive, I know in theory the car should be quicker than my 3 series but it seemed a lot slower as in 0 to 60???

Secondly can you get the 3.0d premium luxury s with any other sized wheels apart from the 20" rims

And thirdly on the premium luxury is DAB standard and how do know which speaker system the jag has

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
It should be a bit quicker than the BMW.
Check his one on 19 in
I think the DAB system is standard and the system is on the speaker covers on the doors

Roger

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
The XFS is no slouch but like all XF diesels it can sometimes be a bit slow to get going properly. Sometimes you hit the go pedal and nothing happens for what seems like ages (in reality about 2 seconds) and then it takes off. Happens most often when slowly rolling to a near stop but not actually stopping, such as approaching a roundabout. They pretty much all do this although the 2.2 is worse than the 3.0, and it's due to a combination of turbo and gearbox lag. Easiest solution is to use the left paddle to manually drop back 2 or 3 gears to bring the revs into the sweet spot, generally between 2,500 and 3,000 rpm. Or else use Dynamic mode, or ultimately use Dynamic plus S mode. Did you try either Dynamic or S modes, let alone both together? If you did you might not have found it to be "sluggish". It's possible you even had it in snow/ice mode, where the throttle response is very "relaxed".
I don't think 20" wheels were ever standard on the XFS, although they were standard on the XFR. On the 2009 to 2011 XFS the standard wheels were 18" and on the 2012 to 2015 I think they were 19". Of course fitting 20" wheels was a common after-market upgrade.
As for what kit including the sound system comes with which model it varies a lot from market to market.
I believe DAB was never standard not even on the Portfolio, but definitely not standard on the PL.
For speaker system look to see of you can see "Bowers & Wilkins" (earlier models) or "Meridian" (later models) on the door speaker covers, if you can then you have the premium sound system. And if the front centre/dash speaker is raised and has Bowers & Wilkins on it you have the ultimate 1200 watt system.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The XFS is no slouch but like all XF diesels it can sometimes be a bit slow to get going properly. Sometimes you hit the go pedal and nothing happens for what seems like ages (in reality about 2 seconds) and then it takes off. Happens most often when slowly rolling to a near stop but not actually stopping, such as approaching a roundabout. They pretty much all do this although the 2.2 is worse than the 3.0, and it's due to a combination of turbo and gearbox lag. Easiest solution is to use the left paddle to manually drop back 2 or 3 gears to bring the revs into the sweet spot, generally between 2,500 and 3,000 rpm. Or else use Dynamic mode, or ultimately use Dynamic plus S mode. Did you try either Dynamic or S modes, let alone both together? If you did you might not have found it to be "sluggish". It's possible you even had it in snow/ice mode, where the throttle response is very "relaxed".
I don't think 20" wheels were ever standard on the XFS, although they were standard on the XFR. On the 2009 to 2011 XFS the standard wheels were 18" and on the 2012 to 2015 I think they were 19". Of course fitting 20" wheels was a common after-market upgrade.
As for what kit including the sound system comes with which model it varies a lot from market to market.
I believe DAB was never standard not even on the Portfolio, but definitely not standard on the PL.
For speaker system look to see of you can see "Bowers & Wilkins" (earlier models) or "Meridian" (later models) on the door speaker covers, if you can then you have the premium sound system. And if the front centre/dash speaker is raised and has Bowers & Wilkins on it you have the ultimate 1200 watt system.
Agree with all of the above, personally I'd go with the 3.0 S Portfolio. The earlier (2009-11 UK) Portfolio models all had 20" wheels, Bowers & Wilkins stereo with DAB, heated and cooled seats and other goodies. Get a spec sheet from Jaguar on the car you are looking at. I believe the later models (main change was the headlights design) had less extras (no DAB?) on the Portfolio. Also if you want voice, the list on the home screen will say 'comms' instead of 'phone'. Look out for heated steering wheel - very nice! (extra on all). I had 3 x BMWs previously but 'cos Jag is so smooth you are often going faster than you think!!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
In the uk the standard wheel is 19in on the S or 20 optional. Ive a 2011 S. Had it nearly 3 years. Great car. Its needed a new battery and rear shock in that time. Other costs just been brakes, tyres and servicing. It's a fast car but to get the most out of it you have think for the gearbox and use the paddles to be in the right cog at the right time. BMW and merc use the same ZF gearboxes so im sure they are no different. Upgraded audio has a subwoofer in the spare wheel well. Looks like a black plastic box. Super duper system has badges on the door speaker grills so easy to spot.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
" For the Portfolio trim, buyers get an even more upscale Meridian sound system than the Premium Luxury's and even more electrical seat adjustment options. There's also seat position memory and heated and cooled front seats. The Portfolio also gains 19-inch alloy wheels as standard. The XF Diesel S is only offered with the 275bhp 3.0-litre turbodiesel engine and comes in a trim level very similar to the Portfolio's but with 20-inch alloy wheels "

https://www.parkers.co.uk/jaguar/xf/saloon-2008/review/features-safety-and-equipment/

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
The Premium Luxury is one off the top.
2011 was the changeover year for the facelift so technically the facelift 2011's will be 2012 model years, coming out in the later half of 2011.
Sluggish is not a word I'd use to describe mine. Manic fits better, especially in S/dynamic mode once the revs have risen above 2000 or so. The second turbo comes in at 2800 which give it another surge. So as others have advised, drive a couple.
WRT DAB - mine doesn't have it. It wasn't standard in 2011. Sound system - The best have door badges but they swapped and changed. So mine has an uprated system allegedly (600w) but not the top end one with the badges. Best thing is to get the spec sheet on any car you're looking at. There's a web site called Topix that will give you more details - though it doesn't show which stereo you have..
I believe they came with 19" wheels as standard but a lot of them have the upgrade to 20's (inc mine). The ride is firm but very comfortable on all but the worst roads. At least as comfortable as a BMW.
For models - luxury, premium Luxury etc, there is a standard level of kit for each but owners tended to spec them very differently so you can often find lower models with many of the features of the higher models.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
You can get the high power diesel S engine in any trim level. The s brings bigger brakes and also far better sports seats from 2010 but the other features and options are the same as the rest of the range in each trim spec.

·
Premium Member
XJ Autobiography
695 Posts
Regarding trim level, when the XF was introduced, there was no Portfolio model, just Luxury and Premium Luxury. As jberks mentioned above, the early models were often specced up by the original purchaser and some of the demonstrators had virtually every extra going. As time has gone on, what was regarded as "standard" items on early models have become "extras" on the newer models so are not always fitted. As has already been suggested, test drive a few. When I bought my first XF, I test drove a 2.7 and 3.0 back to back over the same route and noticed very little difference, I chose the 2.7 as it had the better spec. (and was about £2.5K cheaper) but I dare say that the 3.0 had not been cared for to quite the same level. There are plenty of cars out there for sale, the better ones really do stand out from the crowd.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well took another 3.0d luxury out for a test drive and this one seemed loads more responsive to drive so I'm guess the one I drove the only day must of had an off day lol, and the other half doesn't know it yet but going to Portsmouth to see a xf 3.0d portfolio s tomorrow afternoon so fingers crossed

·
Registered
271 Posts
The XF S pre facelift was also offered with aero and dynamic pack, which is what my car is. this gives 20" volans alloys as well as adaptive dynamic suspension, deeper front bumper of special design, flaired sills and boot lip spoiler. My 2011 model also has full sport seats in ivory, black wood and audio upgrade. As has been said many owners specced their cars to higher level than standard. My car is a PL but is specced in such a way that the only things missing from portfolio spec is the contrast stitch and suede cloth headlining. The facelift model s will have the sport body styling as standard, but with the pre facelift it is well worth looking for the aero model as IMO it looks much better than the standard car.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Well took another 3.0d luxury out for a test drive and this one seemed loads more responsive to drive so I'm guess the one I drove the only day must of had an off day lol, and the other half doesn't know it yet but going to Portsmouth to see a xf 3.0d portfolio s tomorrow afternoon so fingers crossed
I have the Portfolio and it's worth having if you can find a good one it's nice to have all the extras my fav is the cold air up ya bum in summer :-D.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I have the Portfolio and it's worth having if you can find a good one it's nice to have all the extras my fav is the cold air up ya bum in summer :-D.
That's the thing. Pick the options you want and find a car that fits the bill. I have a premium luxury, but it has heated and cooled seats as well as active cruise, so you could find a lower spec model that still thinks all the boxes. Then I bought mine I had a list of non negotiable options (memory seats, heated leather, front and rear sensors etc) which I could give the salesman and then see what they had. Saved a lot of messing around.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Not got it but the active cruise is a nice option to have alot of the cars I drive at work have it and I think it works brilliantly it's a great feature to have.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not got it but the active cruise is a nice option to have alot of the cars I drive at work have it and I think it works brilliantly it's a great feature to have.
I agree, I do have it, but it is rare. Look for 4 buttons ( 2 x roller ones, 2 press ones underneath) on right hand side of steering wheel instead of 3.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.