Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i know this isn't exactly an introduction post and apologies for that, i will do one once i have got myself a S Type, basically i am going to look at one within the hour and just looking for some opinions on what its worth. Its a 2003 S type 3.0 SE automatic, the body work is in good condition with no rust bubbles on the arches or dents or big scratches, the issue is the mechanicals, it has done 205k miles it has 10 month MOT and had no advisories but there is no service history with the car so i have no idea about gearbox oil changes or anything. It has obviously been looked after and has just been trading in at a dealership for an XF. Should i just give it a miss entirely or is it worth £500 or so and take the risk.

many thanks

·
Premium Member
6,560 Posts
Quick reply then.

£500 / 10 months MOT = £50 a month if nowt goes bang or does not need replacing.

Bangernomics at its plushest.

This would give you plenty of time to decide if you like the car model, have a good old root around, etc, etc.

Try get it for less and it's even better.

Rich

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats a good way to look at it i guess, it wouldnt be the end of the world if it was a bit dodgy, it seems to have been looked after and atleast with those many miles you know it atleast seems reliable enough to drive.I think getting it cheaper is the goal of the day

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
If it drives well enough and all the important things work, it will be worth a shot. Do expect to have to replace some wear items :)

If it turns out to be more sound than that, all the better!

Have a drive and report back. With some more info, you will get some better guidance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Anything that runs OK with ten months MOT has to be worth £500 even if you scrap it once the MOT is out.

Personally I would chance it the 3 litre engine will stand that sort of mileage provided it has not been abused and maintained as it should, that's what you can't be sure of as you have no service history, you say bodily it has been looked after chances are that someone who has looked after the body work will have also maintained the mechanicals.

Just as a comparison I paid £1100 for mine two years older similar body work, less mileage 19,000 and full Jaguar service history.

Don't think it's a bad buy at £500 you are taking a chance with any car regardless of price.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok guys i will update with pics later, i paid £560 in the end, the bodywork is great, one 5p sized bubble on one arch and thats it, no dents or scratches, i tried to make it lurch and couldnt, drives very smooth. all electrics work has 2 keys and new tyres. slight rumble from front wheel at about 35mph and thats the only problem i could find. im a happy chappy. as soon as i get pics sorted ill be back

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
... and the best colour combination :)

Good luck and enjoy your bargain!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Well done, good to be objective and not afraid.

TT

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks, i have now done about 30 miles in it and had no lurches not stuttering, tested all the electrics and AC and everything is working. Only issue is a slight grinding dound that seems to be coming from front wheels and gets a little louder the faster i fo and it sort of beats like you would imagine is there was something on 1 side of a tyre and it made a sound once every revolution. Im not too concerned or in a rush to deal with it. I dont want to take off the rose tinted spes just yet!

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
That sound may well be a sticky brake calliper.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cheers Jimbov8, i am as mechanically minded as a turnip so i will get it checked over be a friendly mechanic on the side, im still just in shock about how good it seems, i have seen some right sheds and people asking more than £500 for em.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Worst case the rumble could be a front bearing, but it's cheap, around £60, it's the whole hub complete with bearing, ABS sensor, and new bolts.

Lots on eBay.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.