Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lower ps rear control arm/ wishbone on my XJ8 has worn bushings that I want to replace in the near future. I might go for a new or reconditioned wishbone also, but need to know first how difficult it is to remove the old bushings and put new ones in. Is this a job for an amateur, or is specialized equipment needed to press them out and in?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Well firstly, Jaguar don't supply the bushes for the rear lower wishbones separately, but you can find them on the internet. The lower wishbones are an aluminium casting and as such are at risk of damage or failure (cracking), if the right kit isn't used. So you really need access to a press, and the right mandrels to press out the old bushes and press in the new ones. There are three bushes, two of a "ball" type of design, and one of the Silentbloc type. This latter rarely needs replacing. It may be possible to swap the ball-type bushes with Polybush bushes, but I don't have any detail on this. Pressing out the old bushes/pressing in the new, is made easier if the casting is warmed first by boiling water or hairdryer to expand the aluminium so it releases its grip on the bush.
However, you can buy new wishbones complete with bushes for less than £200. My local Jaguar main agent, Crewe Jaguar has quoted a fully fitted price incl VAT of £240 per side. As the VAT is £40 you can see that its not a huge amount with the labour added in. YOu'll find most Jaguar independents will only fit complete wishbones and not try to put in new bushes as the additional labour involved means the price to the customer shows no saving.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On further reading, it seems that the lower rear wishbones are also particularly susceptible to cracking when new bushings are installed. Given the cost, I think I will go for reconditioned parts in this case.

Thanks for the thorough advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.