Looking to check which hood ornament fits my 1999 S-Type

Sketch

Reaction score
So I recently picked up a really well looked after 1999 S-Type, needs a few bits of cosmetic work for stuff like paint degradation (in like 2 places) and such but overall in great condition, seems to be missing a hood ornament and from when I've found looking online Jags take a few different hood ornaments depending on the mounting point the hood has, looking around it looks like people are saying the 1999 S-Type takes the Growler by default but from what I can see from the images of the available Growler type ornaments for S-Types they look to mount to a different type of mounting point.

Just wanted to check if this mount is for a Leaper or what. IMG_20201109_055224.jpg

I'm assuming this is a mounting point for a hood ornament and I'm not being really oblivious to something.

Sketch

Reaction score
Thanks, yeah I thought from how the growler I found looked it would take a very different mounting point but I figured it would be worth checking which emblem/ornament it was for.

ducmon

Reaction score
There is a link to the early workshop manual in the stickies.
Have the cam chain tensioners been replaced. The original plastic ones can fail destroying the engine.

mickbilly

Reaction score
Do you really want a growler on your bonnet/hood?

my son recently got hit broadside by a motorist turning right whilst he was out cycling.
He slid up the bonnet and nearly smashed through the windscreen before rolling off on to the floor.

he was very lucky to only suffer heavy bruising, if it had been a car with a protruding bonnet/hood mascot it would have ripped his guts out.

sorry to be so graphic but that's just how dangerous these things are.
and that is why it is illegal to retro fit them.

thanks for listening, Rant over.

Neilr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I Have Donated !
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the leaper on any vaguely modernish Jaguar so I would be trying to see if the original growler would go back without leaving any unsightly marks. The European and US models used the same bonnet but the US cars had leapers. The mounting was the same. Maybe that is an option for yours?

Sketch

Reaction score
There is a link to the early workshop manual in the stickies.
Have the cam chain tensioners been replaced. The original plastic ones can fail destroying the engine.
As someone who hasn't taken an engine apart before my knowledge of the insides of them is limited, I'm not entirely sure if they have been but judging by the mostly factory state of the vehicle I'd expect them to still be the factory plastic ones.

I'd be getting a friend who knows their way around the insides of a car to give me a hand if I do get around to replacing them but I assume they're a pretty commonly available part if they're a know issue with these cars?

Sorry on the slow reply, wasn't thinking about any of the repairs til the replacement part for mounting the front passenger window back on the railing arrived today (only noticed it wasn't on the rail when a friend who is good with cars was helping with part of the audio overhaul and went to wind it down, luckily he has torx drivers so was able to at least lodge it back in place til I could get the part in, reminds me I really need to get a set of them at some point)

ducmon

Reaction score
You can get the complete cam chain replacement kit from Amazon.com I dont know where you can get the gasket set but most probably ebay.

ducmon

Reaction score

I hope that will help.

Neilr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it but is it a 3.0 or a 4.0? Only the 4.0 engines need the plastic tensioners to be replaced.