Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in the car this morning and went to reverse off the drive and car would only go forward! Thought it might have been the cold morning clogging the oil in the gearbox, just driven 90 miles to work and tried again but just the same,seems to be engaging 1st or 2nd. Any ideas? I'm fearing a gearbox strip down is the only answer! All other gears working fine and there was no warning of this happening as in there was never any difficulty engaging reverse.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Lifts fine, not noticed any difference to previous.
if the clutch is near the end of its life, reverse is the first thing to suffer, then first gear can be a bugger to get into as well.

can you put it into reverse gear with the engine off?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if the clutch is near the end of its life, reverse is the first thing to suffer, then first gear can be a bugger to get into as well.

can you put it into reverse gear with the engine off?
Just nipped down to the car, tried reverse with engine off...bingo, no problem! Dipped the clutch and switched engine on, works fine, into 1st, back into reverse and works fine! Must have been something blocking the linkage or the gear stick and preventing it from going all the way and it was actually just going in to 1st! Well now I'm happy as I didn't fancy having the gearbox stripped down and rebuilt!!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Just nipped down to the car, tried reverse with engine off...bingo, no problem! Dipped the clutch and switched engine on, works fine, into 1st, back into reverse and works fine! Must have been something blocking the linkage or the gear stick and preventing it from going all the way and it was actually just going in to 1st! Well now I'm happy as I didn't fancy having the gearbox stripped down and rebuilt!!
well at least its working, if the problem starts re-occurring, it will probably be a worn syncro, but at least you know how to get reverse now.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
No synchro on reverse. It could have been something loose or caught. Just have a real good look round it to make sure it's all ok. Is the clutch biting in its usual position? Is the clutch creeping or crunching?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
No synchro on reverse. It could have been something loose or caught. Just have a real good look round it to make sure it's all ok. Is the clutch biting in its usual position? Is the clutch creeping or crunching?
good point there is no synchro on reverse!

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Is the 2.2 box that different then as the 2.0 MTX75 does have synchro on reverse?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Is the 2.2 box that different then as the 2.0 MTX75 does have synchro on reverse?
well i googled and couldnt find anything about reverse synchro on the 2.2, i thought it did, hence my original post.

im in work so i cant have a proper look, so im taking Sean O' word for it :)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
i was right originally. it does have reverse synchro! should have never doubted myself!

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Would have been surprised if it hadn't tbh.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Would have been surprised if it hadn't tbh.
Some vehicles dont have reverse synchro, i supposed they dont expect you to chuck it in reverse whilst moving

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Yeah, aware of that, but based my assumption that the previous MTX75 did and couldn't see it been a retrograde step.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Clutch feels fine and has a nice early bite to it, which resulted in me stalling it a few times when first driving it! No hint of any slippage, shudder etc hence I was really puzzled when it happened this morning. I'll get the gearbox oil changed although I think it would have been done during one of the main dealer services during it's life. Generally there is nothing wrong with it mechanically, pulls like a train in all gears and giving me 51mpg after nearly 3,000 miles in the first month since I bought it. Now has near 104k miles.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Clutch feels fine and has a nice early bite to it, which resulted in me stalling it a few times when first driving it! No hint of any slippage, shudder etc hence I was really puzzled when it happened this morning. I'll get the gearbox oil changed although I think it would have been done during one of the main dealer services during it's life. Generally there is nothing wrong with it mechanically, pulls like a train in all gears and giving me 51mpg after nearly 3,000 miles in the first month since I bought it. Now has near 104k miles.
the clutch is self adjusting so the bite point doesnt really change that much, mine had a good bite to it, right up to when i got it changed last month cause the dmf was knocking, i had a look at the plate when they took it off, and it was very badly worn, it was the orignal clutch and i changed at 132,000 so you never know! although i didnt have any gear issues, except a stiff second and first when cold, they went away after i changed the gearbox oil though

dont buy the oil that it says in the book.

get Castrol Syntrans 75w FE, makes a massive difference on cold days, its practically the same as the recommended oil, but they only started recommending it for the mmt6 gearbox in 2010. which is why it isnt recommended for the jag.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
well i googled and couldnt find anything about reverse synchro on the 2.2, i thought it did, hence my original post.

im in work so i cant have a proper look, so im taking Sean O' word for it :)
I could be wrong though!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.