Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often if I play a CD without starting the engine, after about 5 minutes a low battery voltage warning comes on, telling me to stop or start the engine. The battery is the original and has never given problems otherwise. Time for a new one ? Any ideas, thanks ?

· Premium Member
XJ Autobiography
695 Posts
Often if I play a CD without starting the engine, after about 5 minutes a low battery voltage warning comes on, telling me to stop or start the engine. The battery is the original and has never given problems otherwise. Time for a new one ? Any ideas, thanks ?
In my experience, this is not a major problem. The battery on my previous car (2008 2.7 XF) was still the original when I traded it in 6 months ago. From when I bought the car 2.5 years earlier I got the warning as you have done. It happened more often when I first bought the car and assumed it had sat on a forecourt with only short journeys for a couple of months. The battery was never a problem and never failed to start the car when required. My current car, (2013 3.0 S/C petrol) still shuts off the system after giving a three minute warning, that normally gives about 10 minutes use in total without the engine running. It is a nuisance, especially if you have TV as you can only watch it when the vehicle is stationery, but I would rather have that than end up with a flat battery.

· Registered
1,423 Posts
I had the same scenario as Chris9369 after I bought my XF S diesel. For the first 2 weeks I often got that warning up. It then stopped & hasn't returned. I know the car wasn't driven for about 2 months prior to sale, so it just needed a few good runs to bring it back up. With ignition off, my audio system runs for 10 mins before turning off. I simply tap the button again & it gives me another 10 mins. 30 mins is easily available with no warnings.

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Hi Litho.

Another XJR to XFR convert here.
I have the same message too and it looks like the original battery. I also get the odd spurious TPMS warning when the battery is low.
Probably get mine changed come service time next year.

Cheers. Les.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Get yourself a smart charger like the C-tec I always put it on every two weeks and it just keeps the bat topped up and no need to disconnect.

· Registered
3,396 Posts
As others have said, more likely just low state of charge than defective battery but only you know how much opportunity it's had to charge recently and whether it should have been better. That said, mine will throw that erro after 30 mins or so. The stereo does draw a lot of current.
Batteries tend to last longer if maintained fully charged in my experience. My Landrover does mainly local trips and is on its second battery. The merc (a motorway car for the most part) was sold at 9 years on its original battery.

· Registered
2 Posts
2016 F type bought used 7500 miles. From first day I had it, low battery warning every morning. It took jaguar tech 5 1/2 to figure it out. Previous owner had installed NON FACTORY GPS anti theft device and it was a constant drain on the battery. Car went through 3 batteries before they figured it out. Hopefully this will do it.

· Registered
2,103 Posts
Hi, the warning is supposed to appear, after about ten minutes it should switch off the sound system. If you have managed to get 7 years from your battery you have done extremely well, I have gone through 3 batteries in 9 years, I think you owe your motor a treat and give it a new battery. Phil

· Registered
1,692 Posts
Xf go through batteries like no other car I've worked on in the last 15 years. This is the time of year they will fail.

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yesterday I drove 102 miles in daylight and the same returning in the dark. After tanking up without the CD player turned off, the same warning came on just before I was about the start the engine.
My previous car, an XJR, X358, ran 10 years with the original battery and was sold with it ...and never let me down.

· Registered
130 Posts
I just came back off a 10 day holiday and noticed a battery warning flash when starting up, and the ac vents not opening. I ran the car/drove about for a bit with ac and stereo off and it's been fine since.

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As my car 'lives' outside and I find it hard to accept the battery is 'knackered', I just acquired a solar charger, placed it by the rear window and connected it to the battery terminals.

· Registered
51 Posts
I had a similar problem as I don't use the car much I thought it could just be low on charge so I charged it over night all was fine for a couple of weeks, then one day it would not start but had the low battery warning on the screen. I tried to jump it to no avail I decided to disconnect the battery and do a car reset leaving it 30 seconds for all systems to shut down. On reconnecting it started as if no problem and it has been fine ever since.

· Registered
3,108 Posts
As my car 'lives' outside and I find it hard to accept the battery is 'knackered', I just acquired a solar charger, placed it by the rear window and connected it to the battery terminals.
Are you finding that the solar charger makes any appreciable difference?

· Registered
1,712 Posts
The low battery voltage warning when using the radio with the engine off is not a fault. It is the car warning you that you have a load on the battery without any charge input. The reason is probably that to run the CD player you also need the central computer, because it controls everything else, the radio modules, the amplifiers and the CD player together a significant load on the battery.

When I had an XF I regularly had to switch the radio back on every 5 or 10 minutes if I was waiting with the engine off. It was annoying but I soon got to the point where I stopped waiting in the car. I doubt the XF is the only modern car to do this.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
The low battery voltage warning when using the radio with the engine off is not a fault. It is the car warning you that you have a load on the battery without any charge input. The reason is probably that to run the CD player you also need the central computer, because it controls everything else, the radio modules, the amplifiers and the CD player together a significant load on the battery.

When I had an XF I regularly had to switch the radio back on every 5 or 10 minutes if I was waiting with the engine off. It was annoying but I soon got to the point where I stopped waiting in the car. I doubt the XF is the only modern car to do this.
Still the same on the F-Type.
Audio will play for 10 minutes then shut down, just turn it back on again and it continues where it left off. One minute warning before it shuts down.
One little improvement since the XF is you don't need to turn the ignition on to turn the audio on, just press the audio button.

· Premium Member
XJ Autobiography
695 Posts
...One little improvement since the XF is you don't need to turn the ignition on to turn the audio on, just press the audio button.
I did not need the ignition on in my classic nor do I need it on in the face lift, just press the audio button as you mention for your F Type. One difference with the classic though is that when the radio/TV shut down after the three minute warning you could not press the audio button a second time to turn it on, you would then need to cycle the ignition. In the face lift, you can just press the audio button a second time to bring the audio back on. I have not yet had to wait longer to see if you can continue to just keep pressing the audio button each time it shuts down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.