Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
So i got my 2010 x351 back from a full paint job, it had a flat battery while it was there, they charge it, all good, battery tested (GOOD BATTERY 80% shown) but after a while when i am driving it suddently pop up some errors on my dash board : PARK BRAKE FAULT, GEARBOX FAULT, STABILITY CONTROL NOT AVAILABLE, EMERGENCY BRAKE ASSIST NOT AVAILABLE.
What could it be ?
I stop the engine, restart it and no more errors. After 500km.. 600km or a week or so, it pops out again. Same story, restart e gine and all good.
Thanks !

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
☝This.
Then go and buy a new one. Once an AGM has been flattened it won't hold a charge.
I did test the battery, all good, battery state 80%. It is like 93..96% when brand new. So alternator charge 14.2..14.4, battery has like 12.2-12.5 when start...i do not think is battery. I need AGM battery even if i do not have start&stop on my jag ?

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,718 Posts
You can avoid buying a new battery and search for another cause for the faults.

... but you are unlikely to find one. The voices of experience speaking are exactly that: what you are seeing are the exact symptoms to be expected from a failing battery.

·
Registered
XJ X351 Portfolio
669 Posts
Go with that.
But my 3.0d has a 95Ah / 850A (019AGM) battery.
(Does your car have auto stop/ start?)

·
Premium Member
17,880 Posts
You can avoid buying a new battery and search for another cause for the faults.

... but you are unlikely to find one. The voices of experience speaking are exactly that: what you are seeing are the exact symptoms to be expected from a failing battery.
Definitely battery causing these issues, has to be.

I had something similar last time my car was in the garage, but managed to rescue it somehow. It's now away getting work done and the Incontrol remote isn't working "telematics currently in sleep mode to protect the battery" etc etc
I fully expect to have to buy / fit a new battery shortly as she approaches 7 years old

I'd certainly go with what's in it battery wise, as unless its been dealer changed that's the original, so owes you nothing

Jim

·
Registered
7,736 Posts

I’d be tempted to get a 90ah or above one though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try resetting you battery by disconnecting the negative battery cable for about 40 seconds or so. Be careful not to touch anything with it while doing this. This took care of my low battery warning and one other problem, which I can't remember. You may have to reset you express windows, radio, and seat memory, etc.
Good Luck, I have done this on both of my Jags at one time or another.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Right, before commotion battery to the bin, fully recharge it. Preferably off the car.

No idea what tool claimed "80%", but certainly sounds like a piece of junk voltage only tool. Ideally needs to be drop tested, but if you don't have a drop tester, a full charge will help test...

Symptoms are a classic case of a weak battery.

Letting a battery go completely flat WILL damage it. Letting it go partially flat for extended periods will damage it. How much it damages it depends on how healthy the battery was before, and how flat and for how long....

Due to a reduced capacity, a knackered battery won't actually take much charge, and will report a higher voltage at a given level of capacity - which is why those voltage only test tools are as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Much like the Ctek chargers, loved by many here....

·
Registered
XJ X351 Portfolio
669 Posts
They don't really work very well. Just about functional if the battery is in good condition, that's about the kindest thing I can say about the 6 pieces of junk I owned (3 for the car, 3 for the bike)
Personally never had an issue with mine. But wouldn't know how to assess its functionality or effectiveness except, "Does it charge the battery?" to which, up to now, the answer is "Yes".

1 - 20 of 36 Posts