Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
This issue sounds similar to the one I had a couple of months ago. I was getting all of those error messages and it turned out to be the alternator. I don't think it makes any sense that if the battery was bad, you would be able to drive 500km without an error message. My issue was the regulator not working properly. If you have an OBD scanner that can do live scans, see if you get voltage spikes after you let off the gas at higher RPM's. If it spikes, it's your regulator which would require a new alternator. Mine has worked perfectly since I swapped it out.

Reactions: Sailor

·
Registered
10,089 Posts
There's nothing wrong with my little CTEK, I've had it a long time now, never had cause to regret buying it, money well spent IMO.
Question for 'The Boy', you obviously have a poor opinion of CTEK's...........why did you buy 6 ?
And Mr. Wvm..............you need a new battery (Yuasa have a decent reputation)

Reactions: JimboV8

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Personally never had an issue with mine. But wouldn't know how to assess its functionality or effectiveness except, "Does it charge the battery?" to which, up to now, the answer is "Yes".
Ah, but you have zero clue how much its charged the battery. Which, by definition, means you have zero idea of the battery's health.

Did I mention I think they are pieces of junk, LOL.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
There's nothing wrong with my little CTEK, I've had it a long time now, never had cause to regret buying it, money well spent IMO.
Question for 'The Boy', you obviously have a poor opinion of CTEK's...........why did you buy 6 ?
And Mr. Wvm..............you need a new battery (Yuasa have a decent reputation)
3 were for the bike, 3 were for the car. Everybody kept telling me how brilliant they were, esp for keeping a battery topped up when the car/bike was not in use. They are hopeless at that (I don't think my bike ever started if left unused for a week when plugged into the Ctek junk.

All were bought from reputable suppliers, so not the many fakes on the market. Maybe the fakes are better, LOL.

I got sick of constantly buying the latest model in the hope one would actually work anywhere near as good as a £5 tickle charger, and bought something else that worked brilliantly (Halfords Smart 100) until it failed. Replaced, then failed again, Replaced, then failed again. Superb when it worked, but couldn't get one to last the warranty period. In the end I bought a Ring one that shows voltage and current, which in itself gives a pretty good indication of battery health. And it charges the battery well.

·
Registered
XJ X351 Portfolio
474 Posts
Ah, but you have zero clue how much its charged the battery. Which, by definition, means you have zero idea of the battery's health.

Did I mention I think they are pieces of junk, LOL.
It's a battery "charger", not a battery "condition monitor". Using the battery will tell me if it's knackered. I don't need any sophisticated piece of gear to tell me that.
So, what you consider to be "a piece of junk", I consider to be as good a piece of kit I can buy to do the job I BOUGHT IT FOR.

LOL.

·
Registered
10,089 Posts
It's a battery "charger", not a battery "condition monitor". Using the battery will tell me if it's knackered. I don't need any sophisticated piece of gear to tell me that.
So, what you consider to be "a piece of junk", I consider to be as good a piece of kit I can buy to do the job I BOUGHT IT FOR.

LOL.
Absolutely, I still can't understand why he's bought 6 of them if he thought they were.........what's the word ?........crap.
A normal person will buy an item and if it's 'unsatisfactory' he sure as hell doesn't rush out and buy another, and another, and another,and another, and another. I know I wouldn't.

Reactions: TheBoy and JimboV8

·
Registered
3,319 Posts

LOL.
Oops, sounds like I got people's backs up - not my intention.

Trouble is, with no indication, you can't make a judgement on how good the battery is, and seeing as you are charging a battery for a reason (ie, it was flat), that is something you want to know.

For example, I knew my battery was flat when it went on a tow truck 3 weeks ago. Proper flat, couldn't open boot etc. Car arrived back 5 days later - an awful long time to leave a battery that flat and expect it to be serviceable. Upon charging, I know it was taking 12A for 8hrs (then the current tails off), which gives me a reasonable indication that it still retains decent capacity (the charging process isn't 100% efficient).

Now, it could be I could have used a more expensive, but less capable, charger like Ctek, and it would have charged it enough to start the car. But I'd have no idea of the state of the battery, and thats a breakdown waiting to happen at the first cold snap.

Thats why you always want an ammeter on the charger. Hope that clarifies.

Now, in the case of the Ctek's I've owned, they use a pretty dumb method for guessing when the battery is charged, which usually means they do not charge them enough, particularly on batteries with some signs of age. And as we know, leaving a battery in a partially discharged state for long periods does reduce their capacity.

So, yes, I do think they are a poor charger, and a very poor, useless in fact, battery maintainer. I do like the comfort lead connectors though.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Absolutely, I still can't understand why he's bought 6 of them if he thought they were.........what's the word ?........crap.
A normal person will buy an item and if it's 'unsatisfactory' he sure as hell doesn't rush out and buy another, and another, and another,and another, and another. I know I wouldn't.
I admit it, I was stupid. I fell for their marketing, believing what they claimed. And replaced them when I assumed they had gone faulty.

I did this 3 times (I always had a pair, one for the bike, and a larger one for the car, bought in order to maintain little used bikes and cars (fair weather biker, LOL)). After the 3rd pair, I saw the light and bought something else :).

If people have working Ctek's, excellent, cherish it. But I'd never recommend one even to keep a golf trolley charged.

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,059 Posts
I own and use a CTEK: I haven't (touch wood) had any battery issues recently.

... but I also have an elephant scarer that does a wonderful job of keeping pachyderms out of my garden.

These things may - or may not - be related.

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
3,595 Posts
3 were for the bike, 3 were for the car. Everybody kept telling me how brilliant they were, esp for keeping a battery topped up when the car/bike was not in use. They are hopeless at that (I don't think my bike ever started if left unused for a week when plugged into the Ctek junk.

All were bought from reputable suppliers, so not the many fakes on the market. Maybe the fakes are better, LOL.

I got sick of constantly buying the latest model in the hope one would actually work anywhere near as good as a £5 tickle charger, and bought something else that worked brilliantly (Halfords Smart 100) until it failed. Replaced, then failed again, Replaced, then failed again. Superb when it worked, but couldn't get one to last the warranty period. In the end I bought a Ring one that shows voltage and current, which in itself gives a pretty good indication of battery health. And it charges the battery well.
Out of interest, which model Ring do you have please?

Reactions: TheBoy

·
Premium Member
2001 X-Type 2.5 V6 Sport AWD Auto 02MY 89K miles Platinum, Cranberry leather sports seats
6,628 Posts
I have a 10A CTEK MXS10 and a Ring RSC612 smart charger... both seem to do a good job. The Ring has the added benefit of being able to run various tests including alternator and CCA, as well as being able to override Auto mode and select a charging current etc.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Pretty sure its the RSC612 one, certainly one from that range, though I've had it a while and might have been superceeded.

Ring Charge and Diagnose Smart Charger - 12A | Halfords UK

(Not that I'd pay that much, but at the £60 it costs from there if you have access to Halfords Trade, its a good buy).

I mostly ignore all the test stuff on it, as with a small bit of experience, its easy to tell from the voltage and current when charging how good the battery is. But I suppose you could use it as a poor man's drop tester if you wanted to, but cheap drop testers are pretty cheap anyway, you just need to use in conjunction with a multimeter normally.

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
3,595 Posts
Pretty sure its the RSC612 one, certainly one from that range, though I've had it a while and might have been superceeded.

Ring Charge and Diagnose Smart Charger - 12A | Halfords UK

(Not that I'd pay that much, but at the £60 it costs from there if you have access to Halfords Trade, its a good buy).

I mostly ignore all the test stuff on it, as with a small bit of experience, its easy to tell from the voltage and current when charging how good the battery is. But I suppose you could use it as a poor man's drop tester if you wanted to, but cheap drop testers are pretty cheap anyway, you just need to use in conjunction with a multimeter normally.
Thanks for updating.

Reactions: TheBoy
21 - 33 of 33 Posts