Mean Mr Mustard's X351 Experience Thread

Mean Mr Mustard

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Pasted from my intro post -

Hello. My name is Mean Mr Mustard, and I´m here for the benefits of Group Therapy... Especially Word Association games.

My later life crisis self-medication has just started as a deposit and payment for a 2010 90k miles SWB XJ Prem Lux. Due delivery on Friday. As part of my buyers homework, (including lurking here) I bought the 2010 catalogue and price list - best evilbay bargain ever. The first owner blew half of what I´m paying for this on factory upgrades, so it´s actually 95%+ Portfolio, then with further speccing. The longest ever tick list the Castle Bromwich foreman ever saw. Only lacking the seat massage / cooling, dual view screen, and those nice embossed Leapers on the headrests.

Bowers & Wilkins 1350
Satin Walnut trim 200
Ivory leather 1385
Kasuga Alloys 1000 (!)
Space saver spare 125
Rear parking camera 400

Portfolio options:
Heated wood steering wheel 350
Privacy glass 250

£5060 Loose change for the first owner... Or... did they know exactly what they were doing by deleting the cooling/massage seats, and the screen, as superfluous gimmicks, then rebuilding and adding to the spec? Maybe that owner traded in for a newer XJ, and is reading this, pining for the B&W CD player?

#steve

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
According to my brochure there is a 7k price difference between a Premium Luxury and a Portfolio XJ.
So the first owner has saved himself 2k by picking the options he wanted!

I think I would have just gone for a Portfolio as options seem to count for nothing come trade in time.

By the way you need to post some photos of your XJ as we're all nosey here.

Mean Mr Mustard

I Have Donated !
Reaction score

You must be the Previous Owner, and I claim my £5.

Pics? But they all look the same! OK, pics when (if) it arrives, courtesy of the Motor Trade and some geezer with a flatbed.

So excited I can barely contain myself. Well, not really. Thinking of all the many things that could go wrong thanks to the reinforcing doom loop we have here. It's only confirmation bias... It's just a pity 'Nothing Went Wrong With My Jag This Month' would be a really boring, if reassuring thread.

Talking of threads, I shall be getting them wheelnuts replaced tout suite.

Fraser

Reaction score

You must be the Previous Owner, and I claim my £5.

Pics? But they all look the same! OK, pics when (if) it arrives, courtesy of the Motor Trade and some geezer with a flatbed.

So excited I can barely contain myself. Well, not really. Thinking of all the many things that could go wrong thanks to the reinforcing doom loop we have here. It's only confirmation bias... It's just a pity 'Nothing Went Wrong With My Jag This Month' would be a really boring, if reassuring thread.

Talking of threads, I shall be getting them wheelnuts replaced tout suite.
Well, nothing went wrong with my Jaguar last month, or, indeed, any month since I bought it in January 2019. (May 2017 model)

mac_doctor

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
At least pictures will tell us the colour!

All first owner's have strange behaviour: I am not convinced that they are ever driven by money: The trim level is just a starting point. Starting with a Premium Luxury you can get (very nearly) to Portfolio, but starting with a Portfolio you can spec it nearly to Autobiography level, just ask Jim (he'll be along soon).

Last edited:

Mean Mr Mustard

I Have Donated !
Reaction score

It's black. Aren't they all? Luckily, non-metallic, not the metallic which it was described as. This makes fixing the gash on the nose (possibly relating to a documented windscreen replacement) that much easier with filler and Halford's rattle cans - the previous owner's attempt was / is a bodge.

mac_doctor

I Have Donated !
Reaction score

It's black. Aren't they all? Luckily, non-metallic, not the metallic which it was described as. This makes fixing the gash on the nose (possibly relating to a documented windscreen replacement) that much easier with filler and Halford's rattle cans - the previous owner's attempt was / is a bodge.
Inside? Ivory?

Mean Mr Mustard

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Oh yes. Lovely upgraded ivory for only 1385 when new. The Kasuga difference is the one that gets me...

Anyway, I feel the need for lots of safety and preventives... planning based on what I've read here and elsewhere.

Immediately following ramp inspection at independent garage - confirmation that the MOT just issued is reliable and I don't have a death trap...

New brake discs and pads (thinking Brembos)
New wheel bolts
Front and rear dashcams hardwired into dash and rear seat fuse boxes

Then to the Jaguar independent -
All three engine belts
Water Pump, latest more reliable version
gearbox oil
power steering oil
DPF checking
Any possible other failure points, such as cheap plastic parts, clips etc If anyone has particular recommendations on these minor but critical items, be grateful to know - read them here and there, but didn't note at the time.

Rear tyres are half worn, so decent brand - all four - in the spring, with an aftermarket TPMS box added if the car doesn't already have one, to help keep them good. And tracking check to go with that.

JimC64

Reaction score
Oh yes. Lovely upgraded ivory for only 1385 when new. The Kasuga difference is the one that gets me...

Anyway, I feel the need for lots of safety and preventives... planning based on what I've read here and elsewhere.

Immediately following ramp inspection at independent garage - confirmation that the MOT just issued is reliable and I don't have a death trap...

New brake discs and pads (thinking Brembos)
New wheel bolts
Front and rear dashcams hardwired into dash and rear seat fuse boxes

Then to the Jaguar independent -
All three engine belts
Water Pump, latest more reliable version
gearbox oil
power steering oil
DPF checking
Any possible other failure points, such as cheap plastic parts, clips etc If anyone has particular recommendations on these minor but critical items, be grateful to know - read them here and there, but didn't note at the time.

Rear tyres are half worn, so decent brand - all four - in the spring, with an aftermarket TPMS box added if the car doesn't already have one, to help keep them good. And tracking check to go with that.

Congrats and welcome aboard

Sounds good MMM, sounds like you're switched on too

Might be an idea to consider checking the sunroof for rust ( I'm sure you're probably aware?! ) Also possibly consider removing Throttle body and giving a good clean as well as the MAP sensor, chances are they'll be more than a little coked up

Looking forward to reading how you get on and pics when you can

Jim