Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Stupidly :)evil: don’t ask!) filled my x-type 2.0D with petrol to the top, having nearly being empty. Ran it until a splutter and then had a flashback (greeen puuuump!!) and realised, so immediately turned off the engine. AA recovered and drained and flushed it, did a very thorough job.

The car is working fine, although taking a little longer to warm up and then staying at a quarter on the temp gauge (stayed solid at half before). What should I be worried about and what else should I do?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Fill tank with diesel, petrol is lighter and should float to the top, keep tank filled as much as you can We put 2 stroke oil in ours as well, many owners run with 2 stroke anyway

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Just pray and change the fuel filter (check old one for tiny bits of metal).
Someone did it to mine last year and she's still going. I think they are pretty tough :)
(I hope)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The temperature gauge staying at a quarter is usually the symptom of a bad oil cooler thermostat so could be unrelated to your fuel issues. There's a lot of information on here as to how to change it. It's fairly straightforward to change. I paid around £21 from main dealer for a new one.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
A said put a new filter in, then some two stroke oil, fingers crossed after that point.

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Hi all,

Stupidly :)evil: don't ask!) filled my x-type 2.0D with petrol to the top, having nearly being empty. Ran it until a splutter and then had a flashback (greeen puuuump!!) and realised, so immediately turned off the engine. AA recovered and drained and flushed it, did a very thorough job.

The car is working fine, although taking a little longer to warm up and then staying at a quarter on the temp gauge (stayed solid at half before). What should I be worried about and what else should I do?
Oh dear, my wife did exactly this a month or so ago now.

The car was running on fumes and topped ALL the way to the top with petrol then driven 10 miles before giving up the ghost. The car was recovered by the AA and then fully drained of fuel, topped back up with diesel and has ran perfectly since with no issues.

Definitely change the fuel filter though.............cheap enough to do.

Other than that, love her n look after her, do the preventative maintenance and you'll be golden

Cheers
Jim

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Now then Jim, is that the Wife or the X-Type that you're talking about?
Lol that would deffo be the X type, don't even get me started on the wife

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The temperature gauge staying at a quarter is usually the symptom of a bad oil cooler thermostat so could be unrelated to your fuel issues
Thanks for the reply. I'm certain that this definitely only started happening immediately after the incident, so while it could be unrelated, I'd say it would be a bit of a coincidence. Any ideas on how the misfuel may have caused it?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll change the fuel filter

Whats the best way to check for tiny bits of metal?
Drain the old filter onto filter paper and check with a magnet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.