Mk 2 Restoration advice

decotaff

Reaction score
Just joined so be gentle with me please!
I've acquired a '63 Mk 2, one owner only and it's in truly shocking condition with regards to rust. The car is complete in every way apart from where the corrosion has stolen some of it. I think it has probably been standing on grass since it last went, which I think was about 1975. I absolutely love it.
Forget about money and time because I do intermittently have varying amounts of both and frequently none of either but I would just like some advice as to whether it can technically be saved or not. As far as I can see, the chassis rails are poor, both sills, some floor, the crossmember and crows feet of course, the spring boxes etc, some of it looks like dockyard rust.
Is it possible to safely build starting with the rails and onwards or will the car inevitably fall apart in the process? I'm not even going to mention the lower edges of the body panels, seat pans etc.
Yes, of course I'm a complete novice but I would be able to enlist helpers should I decide to save the old gal. I guess I'm after encouragement to be honest from those who know how and maybe help with a plan of attack. Thank you!

piman

Reaction score
Hello Decotaff,

it certainly is possible to save it but the weaker the shell the greater the problem of distortion due to physical weight and how it's supported. One technique is to cross brace the door apertures with struts welded in temporarily. However leaving the doors in place as guide to keeping the shell straight is another technique or possibly a combination of both. Don't forget about keeping side to side, front and back level.
Proceed slowly with initial tacking of repair sections and frequent checks as work progresses.
There is a good supply of repair panels for this model including chassis rails.

Good luck.

Alec

decotaff

Reaction score
Hello Decotaff,

it certainly is possible to save it but the weaker the shell the greater the problem of distortion due to physical weight and how it's supported. One technique is to cross brace the door apertures with struts welded in temporarily. However leaving the doors in place as guide to keeping the shell straight is another technique or possibly a combination of both. Don't forget about keeping side to side, front and back level.
Proceed slowly with initial tacking of repair sections and frequent checks as work progresses.
There is a good supply of repair panels for this model including chassis rails.

Good luck.

Alec

Thank you, Alec; that is what I was hoping to hear. I've not found one in all the blogs and forums that looks as bad as mine underneath so it's a bit scary.
I'm going to start by stripping it as much as I can, will probably leave the back doors in and re-inforce across the front doors and possibly from the pedal well to the back seat pan too as well as floor to roof around the B posts. The dilemma is how to actually lift the car as I don't trust the jacking points - one of which has been pushed into the chassis rail; that bit looks like a Cartmel sticky toffee pudding. I guess the front suspension and rear axle but I need to take those off to start in on the underframe eventually.
My instinct is to start with the rails, floor and rear seat pan and move out gradually to the crossmember/crows feet and then wheel arches and sills to finish. It's going to be a hoot.

piman

Reaction score
Hello Decotaff,

that will depend on where there is suitably strong parts. How are the front subframe and rear axle mountings as they are the easiest. However, the rear spring channels are a weak point Does the car move or are all the wheels seized (brakes).

Alec

decotaff

Reaction score
Hi Alec,

The brakes had seized and the previous owner had removed the discs etc so that the car could roll freely, which it does.
I suspect the front subframe is good and solid for the most part but I guess I can't vouch for what it is in turn attached to. The spring channels look like a dockyard so am certainly not going near them with a jack or an axle stand. I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow and I'll see if I can get a view of the rear axle mounts. I'm still fairly slim which may be a help.
It probably goes without saying but the engine is probably seized or, if not, needs rebuilding anyway; I'm not really worried about anything mechanical as I know that can all be fixed eventually; it's the structure that concerns me most. I'm hoping to actually find some metal on it tomorrow.

SV8Predator

Reaction score
I mean this in a good way, but you will save much, much cash (and a lot of heartache), by buying a good car.

The one you've got will financially ruin you.

decotaff

Reaction score
I do appreciate your reply and my head knows for the most part that you are right; the good thing is, there is so much I can learn about the car, both mechanically and structurally before having to spend any significant money on it. I'm fortunate to be stabling it for free and for as long as I like in a great space which affords me time to spend exploring it. It may be that this car is the one I learn on for when the Keeper comes.
Used to deliver milk as a boy back in the 80's to a guy who had a Jensen Interceptor; metallic blue with a GEO 5 number plate; I thought it was the loveliest car alive.

SV8Predator

Reaction score
GEO 5 is a great number plate. It's not familiar to me though, which is a bit of a surprise.

Your Mk II, like my Jensen Interceptor is an easy car to work on, as it was built by ordinary humans, albeit very skilled ones at that. But everything thing can be achieved, and you will have (usually) a great sense of achievement when you "sort" something.

homersimpson

Reaction score
Hi i'm restoring a 2.4 at the moment that has got to be on the very edge of being worth saving over scrapping, I have a thread on another forum here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/...uar-mk2-2-4-restoration-project-206929/page4/

Have a look and it might give your some enthusiasm.

Do you have any pictures of yours you can post up? Especially the rust?

When I took the front subframe out of mine the engine started to drop out!

decotaff

Reaction score
Hi i'm restoring a 2.4 at the moment that has got to be on the very edge of being worth saving over scrapping, I have a thread on another forum here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/...uar-mk2-2-4-restoration-project-206929/page4/

Have a look and it might give your some enthusiasm.

Do you have any pictures of yours you can post up? Especially the rust?

When I took the front subframe out of mine the engine started to drop out!

Hello there; thanks for that. I did have a look and it certainly does give me encouragement. Both rails, spring boxes, floor pans and sills will have to be done on mine. Truth is, I'm not sure there's metal left anywhere. Front cross member etc came off with the bumper when towing it out of a garage. Am working through my manual for preparing to remove the engine at the minute so it's easier to raise. The bulkhead's gone too but not sure yet about the rest of it all. Tank is like lace also and all nuts and bolts underneath just snap off. It's scary. Still beautiful though. 2019-07-13 11.03.34.jpg 2019-07-13 11.10.46.jpg For some reason, this is upside down but you get the jist. I've loads of pics so will share for sure. It's not costing me to stable it so I'm going to dismantle it and at least learn something along the way.