mk2 window trim

Raykmk2

Reaction score
My chrome trim kept cumming up. I tucked it in a dozen times and finally gave up and removed it. I am not a fan of the look (If I wanted a mk1 rather I would have got one. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to install it so that it will stay in place.
thanx in advance
RayK

piman

Reaction score
Hello Ray,

if you mean the chrome trim on the windscreen, I would guess, that as long as it's not distorted the rubber seal is tired.
I would suggest using a few dabs of silicone sealant to keep it secure?

Alec

Raykmk2

Reaction score
Thank you for the idea, It is both the front and rear. The rubber is in good shape as is the chrome

Would you suggest that I use it at the joints only, or should I put a bit along the section to take the pressure off of the joint.

Do you have an idea as to how to put pressure on it while the sealant is drying?

thanx again
Rayk

piman

Reaction score
Hello Ray,

if the rubber is sound it is odd that it won't hold the trim? Is the rubber tensioning strip too proud?

If it is only in one or two localised areas where it is lifting I would sugest just a few spots of sealant in those areas. Otherwise spots every say 400 mm apart. Depending on how clean the trim and the rubber seal is a wash with soapy water before hand may be wise.

I don't think it will be necessary to put any pressure on as the screen seal should keep it in place?

Alec

Raykmk2

Reaction score
thanx
It is lifting where the connecting clips fit. I think it is because the trim itself has arched as it was off the car for years while it was being restored.

I will run with you advice and let you know how it works out.
rayk

Raykmk2

Reaction score
MAN!! I feel as dumb as a box of rocks.
I cannot figure out how to get the trim in place.. I start it from the middle and when I get to the side it won't work, start at the side and bla bla bla.

I have been thinking on paying a glass shop to put it in but after a couple calls I realize that almost no one at a glass shop has ever seen a mk2

any suggestions appreciated

Rayk

piman

Reaction score
Hello Ray,

I dug out my workshop manual and the recommended method is a special tool, basically just a bent piece of round rod in a handle. (Winscreen fitting tools can still be bought I think, although I've had mine for some time). It also specifies coating the back of the trim with a glue, Bostic 1251, then placing the trim over the rubber filler strip, ease the screen seal over the chrome with the tool. I imagine a small phillips screwdriver would work?

If you would like me to send you a scan of the relevant information, just send me a private message with an e-mail address I can use?

Alec

Raykmk2

Reaction score
Thanx for info Sad but true, I have the manual and info but am not deciphering it. I am using a thin hard plastic tool that is also not working.
I get part started and as I attempt to work it around it comes back out. Been using blue tape so as not to lift paint or make too much of a mess but it does not have the strength.
I could not find Bostic 1251 so am using (well, going to use ) a silicon sealant.
rayk

Raykmk2

Reaction score
thank you,
It is not bent but is it straight having sat on a bench for some time.

I am wondering is it can be coaxed to wrap properly to the shape of the car.

If I am blowing in the wind, does anyone know where I can get replacement trim.

thanx
rayk