Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

Sorry to be a pain i have been looking into the diagnostic options on here and i have ordered a mongoose cable, but i am unable to find the exact software needed for the 2003 s type that i need. i have installed windows xp onto an old laptop so im sorted there i just need to know the name of the correct program or a link to the software would be even better.

thanks in advance and i promise i will wont be so needy in the future once im set up.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i have v1.3 loaded and installed but no cable yet, it says confirmed when i entered the username and password given on thread here, it did have red box in the corner where it asks for VIN saying needs activation is that normal or should it be greenand say activated. it all seems to be wrking tho since i got to the enter VIN stage which the not working people didnt get to. does this sound right guys?

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Yes it does sound alright. If you get update wizard box coming up on the screen always press no so it will not update.

always keep the laptop on the charger and the car aswell or you can have a car with some expensive bricks in it when working on the car.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah losing power halfway through doing something wouldnt be fun. Slight change now, that box is still red but no longer says needs activation or whatever it now says activated awaiting confirmation which obviously it cant get because it isnt on the internet at all so i am just ordering the cable now there seems to be 2 types mongoose pro and then just mongoose, which is the best to go for or is it no difference?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi
Version 130 seems to be the best
covers all models and later version lose the IDS which covers pre 2005 cars
only works on windows xp pro, I use a dedicated laptop, can be bought for £50 for a good spec one
I've also got it on a vmware image, which lets you run it on windows 7 on-wards, but don't recommend, its not very stable and can freeze and crash, if your half way through programing a module, it can damage it, but its ok for just diagnostics, live data and reading and clearing fault code
cheers
Joe

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah im running it on a fresh XP install on a 10inch sony vaio i had sitting about, it has no other software on it to conflict and i havnt installed the network drivers and have the wifi hardware switched off, its all up and running very well, just deciding on a mongoose or mongoose pro cable. The pro cable seems more available and a little more expensive and the drivers for it seem a little more hit and miss than the regular mongoose so im thinking the non pro version is the safest option. I have found one for about £29 but im still have i little look at whats about

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I nwould get the pro. You dont have to activate the program as that is the online updating just wait until the mongoose comes.

The SDD/IDS also works on windows 7 pro.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
NOTE: if it's costing £29 its not a real cable. (The fakes have been known to fail so).

TT

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
Remember to hook up a hefty, stable, good quality power supply or have the engine running (and avoid anything where you can't - such as flashing any modules).

This can be the chain-saw used with a blindfold if you're not sure what you're doing and you can be left with a car that won't even start...

·
Registered
39 Posts
From what I've read about the Mongoose and Mongoose Pro it would appear that the Mongoose is only capable of working with 2005 to 2014 model JLR cars whereas the Mongoose Pro will also work with pre 2005 and post 2014 Jaguar.

For that reason alone (I've got a '99 S-Type) I paid the little extra for a Mongoose Pro Clone. I have read a few reports of clone cables not working for very long, but for the £400 odd saving I'll take my chances with a cloned Pro.

Chances are, if the cable works for a bit and then stops working it would imply that a component on the circuit isn't up to the required specification on some clones and eventually blows. If this is the case an SMD diode/resistor/capacitor can easily be diagnosed and replaced with a similar component with a higher current or voltage rating. Of course if the component that isn't up to scratch is the micro-controller (which I assume the cable has as it offers more than standard OBD/CAN circuitry) then that wouldn't be easily repaired; although the controller could most likely be sourced, the firmware would be virtually impossible to find.

Edit: Also it would appear that version 130 is also required for pre-2005 cars.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have a 2003 thats why i got the v130 as you mentioned. Obviously the clone cables are gonna have somewhat dodgy quality control, i am looking at a few sites and finding as many reviews about the cables that i can to try and be guided to getting the correct one.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi
mongoose and mongoose pro, are the same lead, it just depends where you buy it from
it can be used with different versions of IDS/SDD, IDS is for pre 2005 cars and SDD is for post 2005 cars
Ive found v130 to be the best for use off line and works on cars 2000 to 2015, there is v129 which will cover pre 2000 cars, later versions after v134, dont have IDS so will only work on post 2005 cars
if the software says it runs on win 7 and later, then it create a virtual windows xp pro and runs within that emulator/image, works ok but not very stable, would not use to do any programing of modules
I got my genuine mongoose lead with seial and licence, complete with software from british diagnostics, they guarantee and also offer support
cheers
Joe

·
Registered
39 Posts
Some interesting info there Joe,

If that's the case then I spent an extra £5 to get the 'pro' version for no reason. Although my cable isn't here yet I have sourced a copy of v130 but may need to source a copy of v129. Hopefully my late '99 comes under 2000 modelling.

I don't plan any reprogramming of module firmware, just slightly more in-depth diagnostics and maybe enable a feature if I fancy retrofitting something.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
If you get an Box (update wizard) showing on the start of the computer giving you the choice to update always press no.

I have found that you can still use the computer on the internet then without any worries about the SDD/IDS program. This can be very useful if you have a problem in a country where Jags are not so common to quickly source a part on the internet using the electronic parts cat. Especially when part numbers have changed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i just installed the EPC software on my XP machine and the yes no box to update came up. luckily i chose no but as a backup the program is blocked in the firewall so it wont be allowed to connect to internet if i press yes by accident

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.