Monza

s collins

Reaction score
Neil max didn’t ram Lewis ,if putting someone into a barrier at @180 mph gets a 10 sec penalty then please justify a 3 grid penalty for a relatively low speed coming together?
an ex driver suggested that it was a racing incident however some on here have suggested it was attempted murder 🙀🤣🤣🤣
me thinks that max narrowly escaped the death penalty 😏

Neilr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Look at the footage at turn two. Max does not attempt to make the turn.

One or two Max supporting ex-drives say racing incident. Most say Max at fault.

Stewards say Max at fault:

“The stewards observed on CCTV footage that the driver of Car 44 was driving an avoiding line, although his position caused Car 33 to go onto the kerb. But further, the stewards observed that Car 33 was not at all alongside Car 44 until significantly into the entry into Turn 1.

“In the opinion of the stewards, this manoeuvre was attempted too late for the driver of Car 33 to have “the right to racing room”."

“While Car 44 could have steered further from the kerb to avoid the incident, the stewards determined that his position was reasonable and therefore find the driver of Car 33 was predominantly to blame for the incident."

It looks too much like a professional foul from all angles.

Even when not, Max seems reluctant to give any ground, intimidating other drives to let him through. That strategy will sometimes result in failure especially when making such a late dive.

Frank

Reaction score
Neil max didn’t ram Lewis ,if putting someone into a barrier at @180 mph gets a 10 sec penalty then please justify a 3 grid penalty for a relatively low speed coming together?
Once again: The penalty is for the incident, not the outcome.
A grid penalty is given for when an in-race time penalty cannot be handed out, such as in this last case. 10sec is roughly equated by the stewards to a 3 place grid penalty.

Frank

Reaction score
... although in principle I agree: the punishment should fit the crime. If you cost an opponent points, then a grid penalty doesn't recompense those points, not does It necessarily punish in any way. Docking a driver 10 seconds when they would likely win by a minute isn't really a punishment at all (as there is no difference between a 50-second win vs a 60 second win. The 5 second penalty for Perez was ludicrous, as it possibly cost Bottas the win (if he hadn't had to pass Perez, he may well have been able to attack the McLarens)
The punishment does fit the crime, it does not address the outcome of the crime. To acheive the latter would be impossibly difficult - prison if the outcome was death? In lesser circumstances, paying for damage to the other car? Compensation for needing to take an extra engine? It is pretty tough now for the stewards to award whole or partial blame, asking them to also deal with compensation is go way too far.

MarkFY

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
The Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA) 2002 criminalises the use of any property, such as money, shares and goods, that has been obtained through criminal conduct. I see no reason why the the use of a car that Is positioned because of an act that was deemed to be improper be similarly penalised. And as for any other crime, the proceeds of such penalty could be used to recompense the victims of such crime.
Don't be daft :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Frank

Reaction score
Anyway, as Red Bull may decide to take a new engine at the next race the penalty becomes a moot point as he will start at the back anyway. Perhaps Mercedes should choose to do the same so the close battle will continue and we'll have something else controversial to write about again in a couple of weeks’ time 😄

s collins

Reaction score
Maybe fia are failing to react in context towards mr Hamilton’s involvement for fear he might
use the racist card as he has done in the past 🤔

inorder to make an effort to get on some other members wave lengths I will be watching Sochi in my nightie 😳😏

MarkFY

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
It’s ironic that Hamilton’s life was saved by a device to the introduction of which he was opposed.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/10191032/lewis-hamilton-unimpressed-with-cockpit-halo-design

And fortunate that greater wisdom prevailed.

Yes, and yes. He has said the same. In fact I think pretty much all of the people that were against the halo have acknowledged that they were wrong. The Grosjean accident changed a lot of minds.

And indeed people are still allowed to be wrong. You're right, many in F1 were not convinced about the aesthetics of the halo device but EVERYONE quickly changed their opinions when it was first tested in anger. It's good how FOM developed the on-screen graphics to make use of the halo when overlaying car data.

* DB *

Reaction score
Nobody who had seen the near decapitations of, to give but two examples, Alex Wurtz by David Coulthard at Melbourne and of Fernando Alonso by Romain Grosjean at Spa, by launched cars, should have opposed for one moment the introduction of the halo – least of all on grounds of aesthetics.

The pity is that it it didn’t come many years, even decades, earlier.

I could cite all too many other instances. The death of Francois Cevert was especially grisly.

It might even have spared poor Felipe Massa his serious injury in Hungary.

Let's just be grateful it's here now.

Sadly, the other side of the coin is that the safer Formula One becomes the more reckless and callous become the attitudes and practices of aggressive drivers.