Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mine is parked in a shaded spot, and in persistently damp weather, moss grows on the windows seals, at the bottom of the visible glass.

Any suggestions for killing or preventing it?

I have an aluminium jag so am cautious of aggressive chemicals.

tia

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Use the wife's toothbrush to clean it and use a silicon spray. Should prevent that. Also check at the base of the windscreen as this is also a place that gets clogged with dirt via the wipers. Well it is on the X Type.

Roger

· Premium Member
17,946 Posts
You could try Oxyclean and hot water, I've also heard good things about white vinegar solutions

For the absolute best advice on this and other car cleaning / detailing issues John, I'd recommend checking detailing websites too

Lastly and as an afterthought, I would suggest that a steam cleaner would be good, all that heat / steam would kill it off for sure.

Hope to hear

Jim

· Registered
1,377 Posts
You should pay attention to keeping the drain holes from the windscreen and bulkhead clear at all times. Invest in some 3mm stiff wire to do this. A neighbour of mine had his XJ ruined by water ingress flooding the computer. As for the Moss, 50:50 solution of Vinegar and warm water should bring it off using a toothbrush. Don't brush your teeth after:).

· Registered
2,746 Posts
You should pay attention to keeping the drain holes from the windscreen and bulkhead clear at all times. Invest in some 3mm stiff wire to do this. A neighbour of mine had his XJ ruined by water ingress flooding the computer. As for the Moss, 50:50 solution of Vinegar and warm water should bring it off using a toothbrush. Don't brush your teeth after:).
+ 1 for this! I've no idea how the leaves manage to get in there but they do. I had a narrow escape with this in my previous XJ8 a couple of years back, had all the warning lights on and it cut out a few times as I limped it to the garage - it did pull through though.

7,785 Posts

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, I have ordered a couple of litres of Wet and Forget moss killer (shame they don't do a small sample bottle) using the discount code "motor20"

Will see how it works. It's not at all clear what the mechanism or ingredient is.

7,785 Posts
thanks, I have ordered a couple of litres of Wet and Forget moss killer (shame they don't do a small sample bottle) using the discount code "motor20"

Will see how it works. It's not at all clear what the mechanism or ingredient is.
It does take time. Google it and watch the Youtube videos. I only used a small part of it on the car the rest went on my patio and walls. Still got a litre left after 2 years. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.