Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My car failed the MOT a few days ago for both the N/S and O/S sills. Both towards the rea of the car. One side there is a small hole about 3 - 5 cm wide while on the other side the hole is much larger; about 15 cm. I did buy 2 replacement sills on fleabay but have been to a couple of garages and they are asking what appears to be silly money. One came back with £400 while the other £500 plus VAT. If this is what the going rate is, then I am afraid it is time for the ol girl to be scrapped.

Like many others on here, I have a soft spot for her but its just not worth fixing at those prices. Can you tell me if I am being robbed, I have seen some older posts saying between £150 ad £200.

Can anyone recommend a welder for a much better price. I am based in West London but prepared to travel within reason. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Hi all,

My car failed the MOT a few days ago for both the N/S and O/S sills. Both towards the rea of the car. One side there is a small hole about 3 - 5 cm wide while on the other side the hole is much larger; about 15 cm. I did buy 2 replacement sills on fleabay but have been to a couple of garages and they are asking what appears to be silly money. One came back with £400 while the other £500 plus VAT. If this is what the going rate is, then I am afraid it is time for the ol girl to be scrapped.

Like many others on here, I have a soft spot for her but its just not worth fixing at those prices. Can you tell me if I am being robbed, I have seen some older posts saying between £150 ad £200.

Can anyone recommend a welder for a much better price. I am based in West London but prepared to travel within reason. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
just cut the rust and weld a plate in, my local garage welded a plate on my sisters car for £40

he would probably charge me the same if i needed it on mine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well got the ol girl back today. Bought the sills myself from ebay for £70 for the pair and got an old bodyshop mate of mine to do the welding. He also fixed a dent and scratches on the driver's door that someone had done to it while I had it parked outside my house. All in all for parts, welding and repair/painting of the door as well as a new MOT £350 which I don't think is too bad especially as some London thief was asking £500 +VAT just to do the sills. Honestly, where do they get there prices from?

Anyway she is good to go for another year.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Well got the ol girl back today. Bought the sills myself from ebay for £70 for the pair and got an old bodyshop mate of mine to do the welding. He also fixed a dent and scratches on the driver's door that someone had done to it while I had it parked outside my house. All in all for parts, welding and repair/painting of the door as well as a new MOT £350 which I don't think is too bad especially as some London thief was asking £500 +VAT just to do the sills. Honestly, where do they get there prices from?

Anyway she is good to go for another year.
Sounds like a good result at a good price.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks chaps.

Also forgot to mention that included in the work was changing the bushes on both rear trailing arms which have been an advisory for the last 2 years. Had the parts but never got the work done until now so well chuffed.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.