1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Yes removing the tax discs system which worked was a great idea. All the money they save each year will be ery quickly eaten up by those that just choose not to pay

Jim

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Especially as there aren't enough cars out there with the right equipment to catch them all.

·
Premium Member
6,566 Posts
The fact that I haven't got to go to the post office to buy a tax disc once a year is a joy.

2 cars, that would be twice.

I pay by direct debit so no chance of forgetting.

As for MOT, I have the current certificate as a reminder, failing that, calendar entries on my phone and in the unlikely event they don't work, a diary.

Failing all that I have 2 cars, after 39 years of driving I am fully aware of what's required to drive them on the road and plan accordingly.

Rich

·
Registered
818 Posts
My mate has a white board in his garage

each vehicle he owns is written on the board

Got 7 columns Vehicle reg, Tax due date , Insurance due date , MOT due date , Service due, Tyre Pressures, Jobs to do

Nice simple system that works

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My garage sends me a text 4 weeks before my car and vans MOT’s are due.

·
Administrator
10,096 Posts

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
They were losing millions before, people left the old disc on the screen under the muck.

Or only used the car now and then or only at night.

It's a matter of if you want to you will.

Of course some do forget, I had mine on DD too.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
My local garage/MOT test centre send me a reminder text about 4 weeks before MOT expiry date.

DD for the road fund licence

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi All

I must admit I have forgotten about our MOT before. Now everything is on calendar schedule so we make sure we look after the car. It all comes out of my account on DD and is all around the renewal date for the insurance which is handy!

·
Registered
22,331 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
think they need to bring back the paper tax disc to display
Personally I think VED should be abolished and 3p per litre put on fuel.

I can hear the uproar now from many, but this way EVERYONE will pay - you need fuel to move so you have to buy it. No chance of avoiding or forgetting.

For me, I think I worked out that 3p per litre would be about 150 fill-ups per year. Sounds like a lot but I do a lot of miles so it's fine - others will do more, others will do less.

But at least all will pay and based on their distance covered as well, not just a flat-fee.

And it will also get all those people who pay £0 VED owing to their type of car - they are still driving and using the roads so why shouldn't they pay!?!?!

Rant over.

Until we start on the Congestion Charge...

TMW

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Personally I think VED should be abolished and 3p per litre put on fuel.

I can hear the uproar now from many, but this way EVERYONE will pay - you need fuel to move so you have to buy it. No chance of avoiding or forgetting.

For me, I think I worked out that 3p per litre would be about 150 fill-ups per year. Sounds like a lot but I do a lot of miles so it's fine - others will do more, others will do less.

But at least all will pay and based on their distance covered as well, not just a flat-fee.

And it will also get all those people who pay £0 VED owing to their type of car - they are still driving and using the roads so why shouldn't they pay!?!?!

Rant over.

Until we start on the Congestion Charge...

TMW
I've said this for years. It would be a much fairer system too on people with lower budgets. Why should the OAP's who only use their car a few times a month to go shopping or the odd trip to hospital or to see friends/family pay the same as a salesman when they can do 250+ miles per day? The more you drive the more damage you're doing to the roads and environment, so the more you should pay towards it.

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
3,666 Posts
I have an app called Vehicle Smart, monitors each vehicle you register with it, I use it for our two + keep an eye on my daughters cars even though they no longer live at home. Covers tax, MOT, insurance, service + some other odds & ends.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.