Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys i have a bit of a sob story here im away working and her indoors was out in the car jag xf 2014. Someone hit the front drivers corner and she say there is not much damage to the bodywork, but both front airbags deployed. The really good news is that it turns out she fecked up the insurance for the first time in 23 years. Just wonderful. so now were not covered.

Does anyone know how easy or difficult it is to replace the front airbags on my own.
Does anyone know the likely costs of replacing the airbags should i need to pay for this

Cant believe im looking at being so much money out of pocket
any advice or help appreciated
:cry:

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Airbags from a scrapper / ebay and replacing them is pretty straight forward. There's a lot of fear / silliness around touching airbags but so long as you're careful it's perfectly doable.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Nothing specific I know of but there are some videos on Youtube that should point you in the right direction. I've seen one on replacing the dash top and another on dismantling the dash. I imagine the steering wheel will be remove 2 screws in the back and the front pops off like most wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing specific I know of but there are some videos on Youtube that should point you in the right direction. I've seen one on replacing the dash top and another on dismantling the dash. I imagine the steering wheel will be remove 2 screws in the back and the front pops off like most wheels.
thank you jberks i will need to wait until im home before i can start looking for those, cheers again :)

·
Premium Member
17,894 Posts
Hello guys i have a bit of a sob story here im away working and her indoors was out in the car jag xf 2014. Someone hit the front drivers corner and she say there is not much damage to the bodywork, but both front airbags deployed. The really good news is that it turns out she fecked up the insurance for the first time in 23 years. Just wonderful. so now were not covered.

Does anyone know how easy or difficult it is to replace the front airbags on my own.
Does anyone know the likely costs of replacing the airbags should i need to pay for this

Cant believe im looking at being so much money out of pocket
any advice or help appreciated
:cry:
Oh dear, sorry to hear, I feel your pain I really do.

Not being covered just adds to your woes as you say, really hope you can get this sorted for much cheapness.

Whereabouts in North Britain are you?
You never know there may be a handy parts source or knowledgable / helpful member within striking distance??

Best of luck
Jim

·
Administrator
10,093 Posts
Did the Passenger side airbag deploy as it’s under a stitched part of the dash, when deployed this rips the stitching and pushes the airbag on top of the dash.

This will mean a new dashboard to replace properly or try to repair the stitching somehow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh dear, sorry to hear, I feel your pain I really do.

Not being covered just adds to your woes as you say, really hope you can get this sorted for much cheapness.

Whereabouts in North Britain are you?
You never know there may be a handy parts source or knowledgable / helpful member within striking distance??

Best of luck
Jim
thanks pal im in Glasgow if anyone can help :)

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Did the Passenger side airbag deploy as it's under a stitched part of the dash, when deployed this rips the stitching and pushes the airbag on top of the dash.

This will mean a new dashboard to replace properly or try to repair the stitching somehow.
Not an entire dash fortunately - just the dash top panel - again should be easily sourced from used vehicles.

·
Premium Member
17,894 Posts
thanks pal im in Glasgow if anyone can help :)
Worst case scenario you're close to one of the best Indy's around, Prestige Jaguar in Paisley, half the price of Taggarts etc
McMillian Jaguar in Motherwell / Hamilton area could be good for parts if required too

Unsure of any members close to you with knowledge etc that could help

Jim

·
Registered
345 Posts
There is a good guide contained within this post for airbag/steering wheel removal http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=88036&highlight=heated+steering+wheel, I have just used it and it is a case of insert the screwdriver in each of the two holes and pull/twist/jiggle and all of a sudden it pops out, I did it last night in the miserable conditions so it cant be that hard. For the rest have a look at the Airbag Team, google it, they were helpful when I sourced a steering wheel to get recovered, will post pics when we get some decent weather.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Worst case scenario you're close to one of the best Indy's around, Prestige Jaguar in Paisley, half the price of Taggarts etc
McMillian Jaguar in Motherwell / Hamilton area could be good for parts if required too

Unsure of any members close to you with knowledge etc that could help

Jim
thanks will get her indoors to contact prestige jaguar for a qoute

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is a good guide contained within this post for airbag/steering wheel removal http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=88036&highlight=heated+steering+wheel, I have just used it and it is a case of insert the screwdriver in each of the two holes and pull/twist/jiggle and all of a sudden it pops out, I did it last night in the miserable conditions so it cant be that hard. For the rest have a look at the Airbag Team, google it, they were helpful when I sourced a steering wheel to get recovered, will post pics when we get some decent weather.
thanks bud

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What happend to the insurance to make it invalid ?
i havent a clue, she is taking the blame as she renewed it, we have been on each others policies for 23 years but somehow she is missing from this years policy, i dont know if its a mistake she made or someones hit the wrong button their end. Either way she should have checked the policy when it was emailed to her but she didnt and its bit us on the arse big time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.