Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XJ8 1999 has module code LNF7301AA under glove box and wanted a compatible Motorola handset to fit.

Purchased recently a non flip handset code LNG7313AD but when connect 8 pin square connector to control module harness get message on pressing phone button on in car radio/sat nav consol 'No Phone'. So this handset does not appear to work with my old car's module.

Does anyone know if it should work in this year of XJ as the handset came off a XJ 2000 year so only a year in it.

Think original handset was the Motorola flip phone Started 130

Due to the Started being rare tried the later Motorola non flip handset above.

Should I get a later control module as well or continue to look for the old StarTec 130 or give up now.

Maybe I should avoid Jaguar's old phones set up as they are well out of date system wise and get a off market dash Sat nav camera with blue tooth like Germin or Tom Tom to pair my current mobile phone in my pocket instead and receive hands free calls that way.

Any advice on this compatibility question welcome.

· Registered
3,745 Posts
The later handset needs a metal ecu in the boot/trunk. It's fitted atop of the fusebox next to the battery.

So yes I would recommend you fit a Bluetooth unit, connected to the headunit with 3 wires (speaker+mute)
and power from under the arm rest.

or as you say, replace headunit if you wish

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Just to confirm later non flip motorola phone coded LNG7313 had a contol uni in the boot. So did this then replace what previously was a module under the glove compartment.

As my car is now some 18 year of age built in 1999 can a blue tooth control module be added to this year. You mention 3 wires to the head / control unit for speakers and mute so this is additional connected via the existing 8 pin, is this right. Do you have a recomendied blue tooth site link or the module name and a wire disgrsm.

Thanks

· Registered
3,745 Posts
You can add bluetooth to any car.

I have a basic nokia kit in mine which I use with an iphone.
A have an answer button in the ashtray. (3 pressed does redial on mine)
A microphone fitted by the dials.
The radio is muted when a call comes in and the phone audio comes out the cars speakers.
If I want to dial anyone I use the phone memory/keypad.

As your car is a different age, it has a different phone & headunit to mine so I can't help too much.

But basically you need to unplug the existing jag phone ecu.
work out what wires are mute and audio in.
locate a power supply (could use wires under cigar lighter) but there is a white/green wire by the rear vents from memory.
and fit it in.

Some units have a display, so you can see who is calling, but I didn't want to clutter my dash with aftermarket displays.

Parrot is a common brand used to give you an idea of what is available.

Hopefully someone else can recommend based on which side of the pond you are

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi
From the UK

To answer question
The long black coloured head unit under glove compartment is a propably the first XJ8 control unit in 1999. It has code of LNF7301AA and description PSE GSM (ACP). Then there is a black harness frim it with a square 8 pin connector and looks like it takes a standard push tel coonnector. Then there is a grey smaller connector nearby 2 pin probably connected to I think a power nearby connector under glove box.

The orginal plastic headset holdet cradle was short to hold a think a Motorola flip handset like StarTec 130 and the opposite end from the square 8 pin was very flat in shape to fit I think into a Motorola handset.

No handset came with the car whivh was some 15 years back so I at first dI'd not bother to find a handset,but decided to look more recently as I am interested to know if the Jaguar hands free is an advantage on long journeys.

More recently I looked for a handset and got a Motorola non flip one coded LNG7313AD which had a standard telephone push connector to fit into the 8 pin connector in the glove compartment. It came off a 2000 XJ8 so I though it would work. When I tried to access calls using this hanset via the radio/satnav tel button it displays message NO PHONE so it did not work.

Though aboit getting a StarTec handset to see if thst would work so thus a ongoing persuit

If cannot get Zthe in car system to wirk then I think a off the market dash SatNav is a option as they have blue tooth to pair to modern iphones so not using Jaguar's obsolete in car systems.

. I do not think XJ8 1999 could have blue tooth added as a module until jaguar changed the wiring set up from 2002 onwards but I may be wrong. Obviously J
Jaguar caught up with touch screen and blue tooth after serveral yesrs of production and probably a lot of complaints.

Understand the parrot nay be a podible solution like 610 if the 1999 car wiro g can take this set up or a blue tooth mofule addution

Hope this explains everything.

If you have any advice this will be welcome.

· Registered
2,734 Posts
My 1998 XKR was fitted with a removable Motorola 8700 digital GSM phone that if I bought a SIM would technically still work. Analogue was never fitted to these models in the UK .Later cars moved to the StarTec130 then to a fixed handset. There is no factory Bluetooth option for X100 XK8/R or X308 XJ/R but you can fit after market options but these don't work with the Jaguar controls. Cheap solutions are removable Bluetooth kits or radio adapters

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found out from site Jaguarclassicparts that the 98 XJ8 comma had StarTec 130 mobile and 99 XJ8 had a slightly smaller Started 328 with same harness and cradle arrange taking out most of the glove box space up
Then 2000 XJ8 had a different wiring arrangement for later fix phones non flip type with a spirsl cord and a ecu in boot on fuse box as well as support control module under glove box. So best to get the correct part no first then search for the correcruitment phone mobile or fixed handset. Originally there was also kits of module,harness, handset , and in car charger adapter and mains adapter and user guide applicable to fit mobile.
Found some clever devices for blue tooth on open market for a small outlay which can pair to a modern mobile like iPhone and be clipped to sun visor with a buolt ib.speaker and mic or fit as a cassette in player to use cars speakers. Other option get a SatNav dash and overcome obsolete old jaguar cd maps which often lead you down the wrong turn where road is closed off and use its blue tooth. Cost of a SatNav is far cheapet than getting these rare motorola old handsets anyway.
Or get a later Jaguar with more up to date comma and a SatNav touch screen menu that can take a post code to identity locations more efficiently than the old XJ satnav.

· Registered
4 Posts
The later handset needs a metal ecu in the boot/trunk. It's fitted atop of the fusebox next to the battery.

So yes I would recommend you fit a Bluetooth unit, connected to the headunit with 3 wires (speaker+mute)
and power from under the arm rest.

or as you say, replace headunit if you wish
do you know if there is a way to set up a bluetooth unit so the buttons on the steeringwheel will work with it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.