Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
my car went in a local garage for a new DMF and clutch last week, they had car a couple of days and then phoned me to say they had changed all the parts but the car came up with "Security Failed" after they had done the work, they asked me to bring the spare key, which I did, when I got there they said the battery was flat and they had it on charge. The spare key would not start the car either, they checked all the fuses, they put a snap on computer thing on it and that just said "security locked", so I left it with them to sort out.

I have just phoned them a week later to see if it's ready and they said they had a locksmith came out and said its not the key or the immobiliser ( but I know the guy they used and he is a total tosspot, I used him years ago on a daewoo matiz with a flashing immobiliser fault, he tried to reprogram the keys and charged me £40 and still did not work, I eventually fixed the fault myself it was the trancever around the ignition barrel was the fault), they then got an auto spark who could not find any fault, and he has suggested some other guy to come and look at it today.

So I am thinking maybe it's the same problem I had years ago on the matiz.

So my question is, if the transceiver has gone faulty and cannot recognise the keys, what symptoms would I get ? does this sound probable or does anyone have any other suggestions as it looks like I am gona have to try and fix this myself as the garages does not have the answers, I also suspect that the "tosspot" locksmith might have also ****ed up the keys now anyway after he has messed with it, so I am downloading landrover ssd v138 ( I have no idea how to use it, just read on other sites if what people use to programme keys, but that's gona take me days to learn how to use.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Hi Guys,
my car went in a local garage for a new DMF and clutch last week, they had car a couple of days and then phoned me to say they had changed all the parts but the car came up with "Security Failed" after they had done the work, they asked me to bring the spare key, which I did, when I got there they said the battery was flat and they had it on charge. The spare key would not start the car either, they checked all the fuses, they put a snap on computer thing on it and that just said "security locked", so I left it with them to sort out.

I have just phoned them a week later to see if it's ready and they said they had a locksmith came out and said its not the key or the immobiliser ( but I know the guy they used and he is a total tosspot, I used him years ago on a daewoo matiz with a flashing immobiliser fault, he tried to reprogram the keys and charged me £40 and still did not work, I eventually fixed the fault myself it was the trancever around the ignition barrel was the fault), they then got an auto spark who could not find any fault, and he has suggested some other guy to come and look at it today.

So I am thinking maybe it's the same problem I had years ago on the matiz.

So my question is, if the transceiver has gone faulty and cannot recognise the keys, what symptoms would I get ? does this sound probable or does anyone have any other suggestions as it looks like I am gona have to try and fix this myself as the garages does not have the answers, I also suspect that the "tosspot" locksmith might have also ****ed up the keys now anyway after he has messed with it, so I am downloading landrover ssd v138 ( I have no idea how to use it, just read on other sites if what people use to programme keys, but that's gona take me days to learn how to use.
things that'll definately trigger the immobiliser other than bad key that i know of.

1) the barrel, although if it was working when you gave it them, what did they do to break it.
2) climate control unit broke, if the climate control is broke, the immobiliser comes on, (forgot to plug my missus back in after changing her radio, thats how i know XD)

so if they maybe disturbed something climate control related.

The mongoose and software would tell you is throwing the error. if you have any trouble setting it up PM me and i'll talk you though it

is it a 2.0 or a 2.2?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know about the transceiver but I know for one that if it was me and I had driven a car in to have a clutch changed I'd expect to drive that same car out after they have done what was asked. If they have stuffed it up in the process they should fix it... Wouldn't attempt to try to resolve yourself as they could then blame you for damaging the ecu etc..

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I don't know about the transceiver but I know for one that if it was me and I had driven a car in to have a clutch changed I'd expect to drive that same car out after they have done what was asked. If they have stuffed it up in the process they should fix it... Wouldn't attempt to try to resolve yourself as they could then blame you for damaging the ecu etc..
that is a very good point

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
So my question is, if the transceiver has gone faulty and cannot recognise the keys, what symptoms would I get ?
A security failure should cause the immobiliser light (the red light by the handbrake) to flash a code. Turn on the ignition and wait for about a minute. If a security problem is detected a repeating 2 digit code will start to flash eg 1 flash, pause, 5 flashes, long pause, 1 flash, pause, 5 flashes... etc indicates an error 15.

EDIT: This document explains how to diagnose security faults:
http://www.bluejag.co.uk/Jaguar-XT-TechBullitens/XT419-02 Passive Anti -Theft System.pdf

Jim

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, I am gona go to the garage tomorrow as they didn't bother even phoning me back today, so they have had it over a week now.

I will let you know how I get on.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Since when does it take two days to change a clutch and dmf. My local took the car in at 8.30am and I was driving home at 1pm.
They should have disconnected the battery before starting the work which in itself should not affect the security system. I cannot recall which electrical connections had to be removed other than the starter motor wiring, Reversing light switch and maybe the ABS sensor on the N/S wheel.

Roger

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to the garage this morning to see what was happening, and they told me that they called another guy in yesterday to look at it and he could not fix it and he seemed to think that is was an "immobiliser module box" is what they called it. I asked if anyone had got the code from the red flashing light near the handbrake, and he said no, none of them knew anything about it, so I did it myself and got 2 short flashes and 3 quicker ones, so I am guessing that is code 23 ??

I am now going to find out what code 23 is, as this place are stumped now and they just have my car up on ramps with nobody looking at it anymore and they said they can't think of anyone else to call in to look at it, as they recon that the key guys said the keys seem to program no problem, so if that's true, that blows my idea of the transceiver out of the window.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems to be error 23 can only happen after an ECM has been replaced ( which it has not ) so now I have no car, it's been in the garage 9 days, and they have stopped working on it as they don't know how to fix it, looks like I am going to have to order some sort of OBD2 lead with a USB connector for a laptop and try this software myself, otherwise I am going to have lost my car. I feel a long road ahead with this car.

Anyone in the Liverpool area got the diagnostic software fancy taking a look for me please ?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Seems to be error 23 can only happen after an ECM has been replaced ( which it has not ) so now I have no car, it's been in the garage 9 days, and they have stopped working on it as they don't know how to fix it, looks like I am going to have to order some sort of OBD2 lead with a USB connector for a laptop and try this software myself, otherwise I am going to have lost my car. I feel a long road ahead with this car.

Anyone in the Liverpool area got the diagnostic software fancy taking a look for me please ?
Code 23 can be thrown if they havent connected a grounding wire back up that leads to the ECM.

tell them to check all the ground wires.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I have a mongoose, but unfortunately my laptop i was using it with had half a bottle of Castrol magnetic poured on it :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have just phoned him and told him to check and he said he will try and clean up the earth on the gear box, as he said the only cables he took off where the earth on the gearbox and the battery leads. He said he has also tried a wire from the negative on the battery straight to the gearbox and that did not work, and he tried the dissconnect battery and touch cables together for 30 min to discharge any static that might be in the car too,
so we are stumped ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a laptop and I just installed 2 versions of the software on , I just don't have the lead to the obd2 socket for my laptop, plus I don't know how to use the software even if I had the cable

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I have a laptop and I just installed 2 versions of the software on , I just don't have the lead to the obd2 socket for my laptop, plus I don't know how to use the software even if I had the cable
the software is pretty simple, you just have like a diagnose fault menu and you just fill in the symptoms by click on the boxes, then it'll ask you do do some tests and show you all the codes it logged, and then tell you possible fixes.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Also try a Hard Reset. Disconnect the battery and put the leads together for a couple of minutes then reconnect to reset all modules etc.
A long shot but may work.

Roger

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Did they battery run flat whilst they were working on it? Have they tried incorrectly jump starting it?

although not very professional, and earth cable/Multi-plug could have easily been un-plugged and not re-connected afterwards causing this issue.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I would be wanting to know why the battery ran flat when all they were doing was removing a gear-box. It's one of the first parts to be removed to get at the mountings and ensure you disconnect the starter motor safely.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I would be wanting to know why the battery ran flat when all they were doing was removing a gear-box. It's one of the first parts to be removed to get at the mountings and ensure you disconnect the starter motor safely.
they were probably trying to start it over and over when they realised they ****ed up, doesn't take that many cranks to drain the battery :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.