My Engine Swap Progress

jagryan85

Reaction score
Well, it's coming along quite well. Thankfully. A lot of faffing about that's for sure. I've not had much time to of been able to do it in a few days due to family and work commitments so an hour or two an evening has so far spread over 3 weeks. You'll all be pleased to know I fired her up today for the first time and can confirm she sounds and runs spot on. I could only run her for 10 seconds or so due to not having coolant in the rad - I wanted to start her up much earlier but you can't unless the gearbox oil cooler pipes are connected up to the radiator otherwise she'll pump out all the ATF fluid. Not good at £20 per litre! So what's left to do then......Finish off pluming up all the rad pipework - the trickiest part of the whole job is the radiator removal/re-fitment! Refit the strut brace, cabin filter and housing, windowscreen scuttle panel and wipers, front bumper, bonnet, check gearbox fluid level and top up if necessary and fill up and bleed coolant. I'm hoping to get this lot done tomorrow so I will let you all know!

Anyway, lots of pictures of my progress - Enjoy!

New Engine

Check out the water pipe in the Vee!

Engine out! (please excuse the mess on the floor :D)

Ready to start swapping everything over

Now what you've all been waiting for!

I had to buy a new EGR valve as I accidentally ruined it when pulling it apart. It was only later I realised I didn't even have too! eBay £25...

It's been slow progress but worth it. Out of all the engines I have removed before it hasn't been the hardest but it has been a little challenging! Makes the removal of the V6 out of the X Type a walk in the park! Don't fancy doing it again anytime soon though!

Ryan

Last edited:

57jam89

Reaction score
Nice pictures, it's the 1st time I've seen pictures of a engine being removed on this forum.

So the last 3 pictures are the piston which decided to see some daylight?

twin--turbo

Reaction score
It's always good to get them running, I much prefer a RWD swap over a FWD... 4x4 is a real pain!

TT

jagryan85

Reaction score
Haha, yes I think it is cylinder 6 but not sure. That's the bottom part of the conrod sticking out! If you look at the exhaust above it you'll see where it has shot a heap of oil out of it! I'm hoping it hasn't damaged the cat on that side though. On closer inspection it looks to of bent the valves and when I removed the intake manifold it had about a litre of oil in it with chunks of metal where it has thrown it back up into it. I don't think the head would of survived.....

I was going to strip the engine down to see the carnage but just didn't have the time so it got bungled into my mates 4x4 and taken down to the recyclers.

The engine with the cast iron exhaust manifolds came in at 160kgs and in todays ££ that was worth exactly £24.68. That paid for the ZF lifeguard 6 then haha

Ian D

Administrator
Staff member
I Have Donated !
Reaction score
That's the valley pipe that leaves the supercharged lot with an expensive bill. Some good pictures there, always a good feeling though when you've dropped in a new lump and it starts first time!

jagryan85

Reaction score
Tell me about it Ian. The battery was flat the first time and I had allsorts of errors come up on the dash and got a bit of a wobbly leg at first haha! Once on jump leads though only got bonnet open, coolant low and the apply foot/park brake for obvious reasons and she fired up first time straight away. I wasn't expecting that that's for sure!

I thought that was the valley pipe. The dealer wanted £17.50 for a new one but I managed to use the cut one on the new engine as they only chopped half an inch off it so it went on and didn't seem to be stretched enough to cause problems

jagryan85

Reaction score
Cheers Steve! I've been driving my brothers old 307 1.4 litres of something around the past few weeks and it's just slow and depressing! I got had off by a new transit van the other day haha! I really just can't wait to get her back on the road and that V8 rumble.....

I might treat her to a wash and a full English

R

S C B Jaguar

Reaction score
Surprising how bad some cars are isn't it? drove a 320d last week and I was totally underwhelmed and was glad to get back into my own car. The better half has a TT Tdi and I cant get comfortable in it so any long journeys we take the Jag and get out fresh as a daisy