Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
S Type 3.0 SE X206 Radiance Red
5,626 Posts
She was pulling out of a carpark shifting from 1st 2nd BANG!! and then no drive!

The bang was so brutal it felt like someone had hit us!!

we limped her home in 3rd the only gear she would stay in!!

now everytime we shift from P-R-D there is an almight thump!!

I have 3 codes

po735

u0402

po701

****in car

this is the end tbf.

· Registered
1,645 Posts
Sorry to hear that Henry:(

Rick

· Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear that Henry:(

Rick
its disappointing tbf

quite a bit of dosh has been spent on her already, now my gearbox goes up the creak :-|

i'll park her in the barn and figure out what to do with her.

· Premium Member
23,854 Posts
Henry, take it out, strip it down, get the parts and rebuild it. Or shop around for a second hand one.

· Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Henry, take it out, strip it down, get the parts and rebuild it. Or shop around for a second hand one.
Aye! :-D

thats the plan EVENTUALLY!! :-|

· Registered
22,331 Posts
Leave her for a month or three to cool and think things over H.

Don't make hot decisions, they are usually partially wrong and you might have cause for regret later.

While I'm dropping management advice...

Never sack anyone on the spot, tell them to go away out of your view until the day after next, and set an early morning meeting time to Patiently and Coldly hear All of their side and... resolve it fairly and justly!

And... Don't mull it over until then. If necessary tell them you will meet again after 2 more days to think and give your decision.

· Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leave her for a month or three to cool and think things over H.

Don't make hot decisions, they are usually partially wrong and you might have cause for regret later.

While I'm dropping management advice...

Never sack anyone on the spot, tell them to go away out of your view until the day after next, and set an early morning meeting time to Patiently and Coldly hear All of their side and... resolve it fairly and justly!

And... Don't mull it over until then. If necessary tell them you will meet again after 2 more days to think and give your decision.
Thanks Jim.

I ain't gonna make any rash decisions, like you say i will regret it, i know i will!

a knackered gearbox isn't the end of the world for me, but it will have to wait, i have college starting soon + i'm learning to drive so my time is already becoming limited.

she will be parked up for a couple of years until i have the money and time to replace everything that needs doing.

· Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Park her in a dry place though and throw a couple of blankets over her if it's going to be that long then H.

So sorry this happened.

Thanks Jim :grin:

she will be dry stored. :)

· Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Bad news Henry but all might not be lost.

U0402-ECM (engine control module) invalid data received from TCM (transmission control module).
P0701-OSS (output shaft speed) sensor fault and CAN wheel speed sensor fault or transmission fluid sensor fault and internal chip fault.
P0735-5[SUP]th[/SUP] gear fault.

As you have had some wheel speed sensor fault/s it is possible that the first fault listed against P0701 above are causing the other faults.

While fault codes are all well and good, understanding how the transmission functions is what you really need to know in order to correctly diagnose the fault/s before you remove it from the car.

There is also the ISS (input shaft speed) sensor and if any of the speed sensors don't match within specific parameters the TCM and ECM can't control the gears and thumping will occur normally followed by a driving limp mode which in your case by the sound of it was only 3rd gear.

Full details here on Jaguar ZF6 fault code parameters and operations: http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB...Board Diagnostics - ZF 6HP26 Transmission.pdf

Good luck if you decide to proceed.

· Registered
10,049 Posts
Neil Smith (NS Autos Wakefield, 01924 831140) has a gearbox. Give hime a ring and tell him Victor sent you.
http://www.nsjaguar.co.uk/

· Registered
22,331 Posts
Neil Smith (NS Autos Wakefield, 01924 831140) has a gearbox. Give hime a ring and tell him Victor sent you.
http://www.nsjaguar.co.uk/
How about... Vic calls Neil and says "Neil... Send that box to my adopted grandson Henry and put it on my account until he's old enough to pay it back"? ;) :) :mrgreen:

Heheheh....

· Registered
6,401 Posts
Sorry to here that this has happened to you. If you have the space start looking for another one to act as part spender as the parts can only get rarer as time goes on.

What are you going to study?

· Registered
6,401 Posts
Jim are you offering to sacrifice your beer to buy a gearbox for Henry.

How about... Vic calls Neil and says "Neil... Send that box to my adopted grandson Henry and put it on my account until he's old enough to pay it back"? ;) :) :mrgreen:

Heheheh....

· Registered
8,441 Posts
Just a heads up and by no means an answer to your problem, but last May I did a run at Santa Pod and had a terrible launch from the start line. Basically it was grip spin grip spin grip spin and then finally grip and off I went. When I eased off the gas at the finish line the gear box was thumping and banging and I limped to the side. I read the codes and erased them and then disconnected the battery and tried a hard reset. I restarted the car and all was fine. Needless to say I did not race again that day as I had to drive it back to Bristol, but on the drive home she performed faultlessly and has done ever since. All I can put it down to was the fact the launch had goosed the brains in the Gearbox and not knowing what gear to be in. From memory the code was something to do with gear selection and input speeds or something. Any how I was just wondering if you had tried to reset things as it might sort your problem, that was all. :)

· Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers chaps.

I have a quite long private drive "farm lane" to normal people!! lol

i've taken her up there myself and it feels like it changes from 1st straight to 4th and ignoring all the other gears.

even when you matt it past kickdown it'll accelerate, but it starts off in high gear 4th or 5th.

i will replace the rear sensors anyway, because i ordered them before the gearbox shagged itself. :-D

· Registered
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bad news Henry but all might not be lost.

U0402-ECM (engine control module) invalid data received from TCM (transmission control module).
P0701-OSS (output shaft speed) sensor fault and CAN wheel speed sensor fault or transmission fluid sensor fault and internal chip fault.
P0735-5[SUP]th[/SUP] gear fault.

As you have had some wheel speed sensor fault/s it is possible that the first fault listed against P0701 above are causing the other faults.

While fault codes are all well and good, understanding how the transmission functions is what you really need to know in order to correctly diagnose the fault/s before you remove it from the car.

There is also the ISS (input shaft speed) sensor and if any of the speed sensors don't match within specific parameters the TCM and ECM can't control the gears and thumping will occur normally followed by a driving limp mode which in your case by the sound of it was only 3rd gear.

Full details here on Jaguar ZF6 fault code parameters and operations: http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB...Board Diagnostics - ZF 6HP26 Transmission.pdf

Good luck if you decide to proceed.
Thanks engineer for your detailed and helpful post!!

i ain't giving up on er lol

i will replace the sensors and do a hard reset.

The only concerning thing is the bang it makes when going in reverse or drive.

Hopefully it will fix it!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.