My insurance is due on the 18th of March

5tevie

Reaction score
I have a 1995 Jaguar XJ6 3.2 which has not been modified in any way, shape or form. It has the standard alarm and immobiliser as fitted at the factory.
I will be 62 on the 16th of March and I have retired.
My wife is 65 and also is retired. We have both held full UK licences for over 10 years and neither of us have had any motoring convictions for parking or speeding for about 6 years and neither of us have any other form of criminal conviction.
We live in the BB2 area.
So far it's all good news but from here on in it gets a bit tricky. You see, it has always been family policy that my wife owns the family car and I buy and own the rubbish. I have not owned a car under this scheme for about 12 years ( for lack of cash, really) but the tradition carries on and I have been named driver on my wife's insurance on a few cars in that time. There have been no claims made by either my wife or myself and no claims made against either of us. The gist of it is that I have no NCB and so Insurers have been extracting the proverbial. Some of them anyway.
LV, Direct Line, The Co-op and maybe 5 others that I contacted on-line have quoted me prices ranging from £1,428 to £1,687. This is for fully comp with my wife as the only driver apart from myself, £250 - £300 excess, legal fees and UK breakdown services. There is also a limit of 1,500 miles per year but that's fine as we only do shortish local runs. we have done about 800 this past year.
For the exact same service and with all the questions answered in exactly the same way, I have been quoted £410.68p (Four hundred and ten UKP + sixty eight pence,) How can that be possible? I could understand it if there were 2 or 3 at the higher price and 2 or 3 more at the lower end of the scale.
The company quoting £410.68 are the firm that insured me last year for exactly the same price.
Can anybody see any reason why I shouldn't go with Sureterm Direct Limited again?

djdex

Reaction score
OK,two ideas, first - try an insurance co. that offers multicar discounts for insuring more than one car with them Admiral do this, there are very likely to be others. Second - time to assess that tradition and look at switching and having the wife insure the Jag and you insure the family car, as long as you both drive both cars regularly I don't see how the insurance could argue about it, unlike the mums who insure a car but it's their son/daughter who is really using it all the time, you can say what you like for who owns which car, this does not have to be the registered keeper and insurance co's only ask if you're the owner of the car not if you're the RK. Third and final idea (sorry, lied about two ;) ) try the classic insurance companies, with the age of the car and limited mileage you do I would have thought they should be competitive.

5tevie

Reaction score
Hi there,
Thanks for the 2 answers and I like the sound of the 3rd of the 2 best.
I'll do a Google search for Classic insurance myself but do you know of any that are particularly (ahem) reasonably priced?
Cheers,
Steve