Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As im never content with one project at a time, (and the fact the diy facelift grill is taking so long to print)
i have come up with my next project.

Having just upgraded my missus 2.0 to have a double din touchscreen, i thought i wish my factory touchscreen was as good.

things hers has that mine doesn't for the sat nav
  • Live Traffic Data for
  • It knows all the roads that were built after 2012
  • It knows that about the new toll bridges in my area
  • it knows one way streets
  • it knows road speeds (this does require frequent updates)
things hers has that mine doesn't audio/video wise
  • Aux in (mine does have this though a wired FM modulator but it isn't as good)
  • Bluetooth audio
  • Reversing Camera Input ( i dont really need this, the missus still cant park with it)
  • MP5 playback (probably dont really need this, but it might keep the Mrs quiet on a long journey
  • built in Dash cam DVR functionality.
  • SMS Reader (reads out texts when received)

So I've had a thought. What if i can strip out all the internals from an original touchscreen unit, and replace everything. At first i thought this wouldn't be possible due to the climate controls, but as the touchscreen uses the remote unit, it sends commands via the can bus ( i think/hope) to that from the touchscreen, which means if i can isolate those specific can bus commands then there is nothing stopping me from emulating these commands back to the remove unit from another device.

creating the touchscreen is the easy part as software development is my bread and butter. I should be able to utilise all the existing buttons to control there original functionality.

Hardware and Software wise its simple, the only complicated thing would be the CAN bus commands. Now if there is anyone else on here who has experience with car electrical systems, and CAN Bus then maybe you'll be able to help me get this project off the ground.

im currently building a can bus sniffer that i can put in the car to create a log file every 5 seconds.
to isolate the specific commands i will sit there pressing the same button once every second 30 times, i will then put the 6 files from that 30 seconds and delete any codes that dont appear in all 6 files, i will then filter out any commands that dont appear at least 4 times ( allowing for one command being missed)

once i believe I've found the correct command i will replay that through the car from my laptop and see if it does the required feature.

rinse and repeat until all commands are found, and possibly some additional commands (depending if the door locks, windows/ boot are on the can-bus as well, which they most likely are)

there will be some other audio issues, seen as i have the premium audio, i will have to replace the sub woofer amplifier with an aftermarket and power the speakers from a dedicated amp up front and run cables.

i will try an copy the original layout/ style of the touchscreen UI, but modernise it a bit and obviously add more features.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ben wilcox did something similar, fitted an HD screen paired to an odroid unit - http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=96954
mines is a simpler system, but off the shelf so to speak, still using the OEM screen, via a video interface & android unit - http://www.mediafire.com/file/zd468wb2976x81r/Jaguar_Touchscreen_Ugrade.pdf
I did see this but i wanted to take it one step further and completely remove the original unit. As the only thing i would want to use from the original would be the climate controls. It would seem a bit of a waste to keep all the stuff for just that, where as if i can figure out the CAN bus commands, i can put a more powerful unit in there with additional functionality.

The upgraded unit i plan on putting in there is going to be a dual boot system between a custom Linux distro and Windows XP.

The reason i am going to add this XP machine functionality is in the future i hope to include the mongoose software built into the car, so i can diagnose faults easier if they occur.
I've already modified an old laptop to run from 12v and a screen that just fits in the space ( well its slightly wider but i can just add a small margin left and right to centre the screen.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
My system runs Torque Pro android app, with live screens & error views/resets on the go, love it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have you had any luck yet with your project? I read about this when you first posted the idea and it’s something I’d love to do to my car! I’d been thinking about it ever since I retrofitted my touch screen, but I sadly don’t have the knowledge of the software side of things to help...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you had any luck yet with your project? I read about this when you first posted the idea and it's something I'd love to do to my car! I'd been thinking about it ever since I retrofitted my touch screen, but I sadly don't have the knowledge of the software side of things to help...
I haven't got anywhere with it really recently. been very busy (a few unexpected deaths in the family), i dont think it'll be something i look at now till april/may, as all my modification money is going into getting another jag to add to the collection. But i will look at it again at some point.

I have however done some research on the can bus, and have made an adaptor that connects to the can-bus to feed me live data, which is currently on a folder on the desktop waiting for me to go through, (a hell of a lot of data)

the easy part has been done though, which is to design and program a user interface, which resembled the original but a higher resolution, i have also managed to create a a clone of the sat nav screens too, (and i have even though up a way to get all the original voice clips too, but its all theoretical at the moment)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oh no, I’m sorry to hear about your losses! It’s never easy to lose someone, but at this time of year it can be especially hard!

You’re thinking of getting another Jag? Another X Type or something different? I’ve been thinking myself about an XJ, either an XJ8 or a classic XJC. Its just money holding me back at the moment!

The progress you’ve made so far sounds great! I just wish I was able to help in some way with the project, might have to research it myself haha.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about your losses! It's never easy to lose someone, but at this time of year it can be especially hard!

You're thinking of getting another Jag? Another X Type or something different? I've been thinking myself about an XJ, either an XJ8 or a classic XJC. Its just money holding me back at the moment!

The progress you've made so far sounds great! I just wish I was able to help in some way with the project, might have to research it myself haha.
It'll be another x type for me hopefully a 3.0 with the earlier viscous coupling.

i plan to pull everything, and do a full rebuild/restore on everything

and add a few modifications that will stick in with the x type theme.

digital instrument cluster
optimal gear change indicator
upgraded touchscreen
adaptive cruise control ( although i need to check the legality, i have already made a working system which has been tested on private land, (using 2 small camera in the corners of the windshield and piggy backed wires from the cruise control wheel))
LED headlights and rear lights
key less entry
auto opening boot
push button start
automatic folding mirrors

i'l probably sink all my money for the next 3-4 years into it, but i will be a beauty when done.
im also going to wrap it in black rose vinyl! because it would look mint.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oh wow, that's quite a project! I'd love some of those mods on my car.

I was looking the other day actually at making some LED rear lights, I like the more modern look they give. I couldn't think of a design I liked though... I was wanting to try and bring in the design a little from the newer jags like the XE and the new XF, but just couldn't decide how to make it look in the lights. Although I've just now had a brainwave! :p

For the adaptive cruise control, would it not be possible to adapt the version from the 2003-2009 XJ (X350) to work in the X Type? I remember briefly looking at wiring diagrams a while back and wondering that myself, but didn't have the funds or expertise to try and implement it.

Love everything you're planning though, I can't wait to see some of them!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh wow, that's quite a project! I'd love some of those mods on my car.

I was looking the other day actually at making some LED rear lights, I like the more modern look they give. I couldn't think of a design I liked though... I was wanting to try and bring in the design a little from the newer jags like the XE and the new XF, but just couldn't decide how to make it look in the lights. Although I've just now had a brainwave! :p

For the adaptive cruise control, would it not be possible to adapt the version from the 2003-2009 XJ (X350) to work in the X Type? I remember briefly looking at wiring diagrams a while back and wondering that myself, but didn't have the funds or expertise to try and implement it.

Love everything you're planning though, I can't wait to see some of them!
i dont think its possible to use the XJ's adaptive cruise control.

my method was to piggy back the wires for the existing cruise control,

Two small (low res) cameras on the left and right bottom corner on the windshield, they feed into a ODROID-X, which uses the images to judge distance, its gets the initial speed from a GPS module when cruise control is enabled with the resume button. if the distance falls below a predefined value, then it triggers a 0.5 second pulse, simulating pressing the down button on the wheel, until the safe distance has been reached, it then simulates pressing up on the wheel until its back at the initial speed. tested it with the distance set to 35 meters on a long private road with a friend, closest it got was 5 meters when simulating someone merging into lane at approx 8 meters at 50mph. I would probably have to refine this, the limiting factor is the fps of the cameras, if i had 60-120fps camera i would be able to get it to work even better.

the lights i was just planning on having the exact same design as normal, just cramming as many led's into the existing shape, and the same with the headlights.

i did also toy with the idea of fitting airbag suspension to eliminate body roll in the corners, but i think this would take up two much time and effort tbh,

but im currently at stage one, finding the perfect jag (minimal rot as possible), and finding a scrap jag for he fabrication i need to do.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hey RageMonkey, I missed this post the first time, looks like some interesting ideas!

Just a point on the ACC you're building, have you considered how it will work when you're on long sweeping bends, and therefore is difficult to determine whether the car(s) ahead are in your lane or not?
I'm always amazed how well the factory X350 ACC system manages to cope with this (most of the time!), and I understand that it uses input from a steering angle sensor to work out this, obviously along with input from the Radar module (it doesn't use cameras). Just one thing to bear in mind, as 3 and 4 lane motorways must be considerable more complex to deal with that a straight road.

On your head unit mod, as Euan says I have developed a 'hybrid' solution that uses the existing internals for all the OEM Jag functions and an external Odroid for the new Android stuff. There is a member on here with the handle Xag who was some time ago trying to decode the SCP bus (I don't think it's CAN you need, the head unit only has a direct interface to the SCP bus) which sends/receives the messages from the head unit to the various modules, but not sure if he ever progressed this as the intention was the same as yours, i.e. to replace all the standard head unit internals.

On a related note, I tried out Linux as my first preference of OS for my conversion (to use a Raspberry PI etc) but found that there is next to no touch enabled car oriented software for linux which made it pretty user-unfriendly. Even though I use Linux for lots of other things, for me Android was the only real choice as it's designed from the outset to be used with a touch only interface and no reliance on external keyboard and mouse. Although in theory you can also do this with Linux it's just to clunky in reality to rely on, in my experience anyway.

Being able to control the SCP bus though would certainly open up a lot of possibilities. One project in the back of my mind is to develop a remote-start retro fit that can start the car via an App, and preset the air-con state remotely - ideal for remotely defrosting the car in winter, and pre-cooling it in summer! Obviously available now on new cars, but I want it too!

Ben

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll look into the SCP bus then at some point! probably be a while though.

and it does take into account multi lane but using the white lines, as i was going to progress it to have lane assist.

the software will follow the white lines/ edge of road, till there is an obstruction, the only downside is that it does incorrectly report the distance, the tighter the turn the shorter the distance measured. This hasn't been tested as much because where i was testing was essential a straight road.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just checked the Climate control is on the CAN bus

·
Registered
984 Posts
Just had a look at the electrical diagram too - you're right the climate control module is on the CAN bus (and the Jaguar Multiplexing Systems document confirms this), however it appears that the instrument cluster is used as an SCP/CAN interface, which makes sense as the Navigation Control Module only has an interface to the SCP bus and has no direct connection to the CANBUS.

Ben

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just had a look at the electrical diagram too - you're right the climate control module is on the CAN bus (and the Jaguar Multiplexing Systems document confirms this), however it appears that the instrument cluster is used as an SCP/CAN interface, which makes sense as the Navigation Control Module only has an interface to the SCP bus and has no direct connection to the CANBUS.

Ben
yes you're right, luckily everything i would need to control would be on the CAN, i would be doing all the other features separate (radio, satnav, etc) so i dont need to add the SCP, everything else should work fine (hopefully) but only time will tell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.