Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Mr Macron our annual Christmas trip to the Alps has been made impossible just 24 hours before we were due to start. After all malarkey of having to cancel the bookings, train and PCR tests, I have decided that I'll not allow THEM to ruin another Christmas holiday for my family and immediately booked a cottage in Highlands. The decision where to go was based only on weather forecast and the highest probability of having some snow in UK. The pin fell on Bellabeg/Strathdon.
We started our journey from London early on Wednesday and I decided to take the Eastern route up North avoiding M6 possible heavy traffic, good decision that was.
7496244B-E0F8-4904-ADD0-7966FD72CFA0.png

First comfort brake for a dog and us and an oportunity for a first trip photo was made near Leeds.

A04DF0F0-517B-42E0-892B-E49703605782.jpeg

The traffic was light, few speed cameras and XF got a chance to clear the cobwebs (within a national speed limits). XF is a fantastic motorway cruiser. Silent, comfortable and very refined. Again I found it better suited to be in Dynamic mode on M roads than in Normal. It just runs better. Didn't choose the Sport mode this time as it would go over the speed limit in a blink.
Next stop was at Perth Shell garage for topping up the tank with V-Power.
31B5B3D0-E624-460E-81FE-14D18AFAD085.png

At that time I was really pleasantly surprised with fuel consumption. Great.
Next stretch was the one I was looking forward to, getting into Highlands.
97FA3035-D721-44EE-9AAC-47E8C38ED5A1.png

Very light traffic and a lot of opportunity to drive really slow and enjoy the scenery. Stunning country that Scotland. For all who love the mountains and nature, Scottish Highlands must be on the bucket list.

We arrived at cottage late and it was already very dark to make a photo but here is the one from Thursday morning.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Car

Thursday was very cold with freezing rain and a lot of black ice so I didn't want to drive that day.
On Friday morning it started snowing, the road down the hill was covered with white fluff and first opportunity emerged to test fitted GoodYear winter tyres and XF's Snow/Ice mode and Low Friction Launch.
C3ED76D9-5C5D-45F9-9C1F-DF4FD7BBD425.jpeg

Both worked perfectly. Not once the traction control light came on during the descent. Fantastic.
This was my first XF Winter drive and had no idea how she will perform on slippery roads. 20 minutes drive to Lecht ski center on half cleared road reassured me. Both the car and tyres exceeded my expectations. If compared to my previous E class estate also fitted with Winter tyres in similar Winter conditions, XF SB runs and feels better. It's more planted car, if you know what I mean.
A011B917-59D0-46F2-957E-A4E3007817A0.jpeg

38E8BCED-C300-4CD6-9372-4A7E1B70B9D7.jpeg

A9D6C6DB-DA19-45F4-BE09-238D4F80BA8E.jpeg

Till next drive trip in 2022, stay safe peeps.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Looked like fun trip..

I myself am looking to do a trip in 2022 can't decide where to though, so many places on the bucket list ;)

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
3,542 Posts
Looks like you had a great drive, car performing well. Hoping to make my way up there in a few months, right to the top.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For years I’ve been planing a North Coast 500 but for myriad of reasons it never came to fruition. Instead whenever the circumstances allow or force I tend to see different part of Scotland. In Summer 2020 it was West Highlands and its coast and this Winter - Aberdeenshire.
Next Scotland trip will probably be to John O’Groats.

·
Premium Member
16,584 Posts
For years I've been planing a North Coast 500 but for myriad of reasons it never came to fruition. Instead whenever the circumstances allow or force I tend to see different part of Scotland. In Summer 2020 it was West Highlands and its coast and this Winter - Aberdeenshire.
Next Scotland trip will probably be to John O'Groats.
Nice trip JD but NOT pic heavy at all, very light in fact lol

Glad you had a good trip and enjoy Scotland, the NC500 is awesome and on my to do list too. My brother did it earlier in the year and got amazing weather, loved every minute of it

Cheers
Jim

Reactions: Majagua

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks to Mr Macron our annual Christmas trip to the Alps has been made impossible just 24 hours before we were due to start. After all malarkey of having to cancel the bookings, train and PCR tests, I have decided that I'll not allow THEM to ruin another Christmas holiday for my family and immediately booked a cottage in Highlands. The decision where to go was based only on weather forecast and the highest probability of having some snow in UK. The pin fell on Bellabeg/Strathdon.
We started our journey from London early on Wednesday and I decided to take the Eastern route up North avoiding M6 possible heavy traffic, good decision that was.
View attachment 42618

First comfort brake for a dog and us and an oportunity for a first trip photo was made near Leeds.

View attachment 42620
The traffic was light, few speed cameras and XF got a chance to clear the cobwebs (within a national speed limits). XF is a fantastic motorway cruiser. Silent, comfortable and very refined. Again I found it better suited to be in Dynamic mode on M roads than in Normal. It just runs better. Didn't choose the Sport mode this time as it would go over the speed limit in a blink.
Next stop was at Perth Shell garage for topping up the tank with V-Power.
View attachment 42621

At that time I was really pleasantly surprised with fuel consumption. Great.
Next stretch was the one I was looking forward to, getting into Highlands.
View attachment 42622
Very light traffic and a lot of opportunity to drive really slow and enjoy the scenery. Stunning country that Scotland. For all who love the mountains and nature, Scottish Highlands must be on the bucket list.

We arrived at cottage late and it was already very dark to make a photo but here is the one from Thursday morning.
View attachment 42624
Thursday was very cold with freezing rain and a lot of black ice so I didn't want to drive that day.
On Friday morning it started snowing, the road down the hill was covered with white fluff and first opportunity emerged to test fitted GoodYear winter tyres and XF's Snow/Ice mode and Low Friction Launch.
View attachment 42625
Both worked perfectly. Not once the traction control light came on during the descent. Fantastic.
This was my first XF Winter drive and had no idea how she will perform on slippery roads. 20 minutes drive to Lecht ski center on half cleared road reassured me. Both the car and tyres exceeded my expectations. If compared to my previous E class estate also fitted with Winter tyres in similar Winter conditions, XF SB runs and feels better. It's more planted car, if you know what I mean.
View attachment 42623

View attachment 42627

View attachment 42629
Till next drive trip in 2022, stay safe peeps.
Sounds a great trip, love the photos

·
Premium Member
2007 X350 Sovereign 2.7 diesel
5,411 Posts
Reactions: JaguarDriver

·
Premium Member
16,584 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fortunate to have a dog that loves being in a car all day long.
Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
A sign not seen very often.😎🏎🏁
Car Speedometer Light Tachometer Motor vehicle

Btw nothing is wrong with the central digital cluster, phone camera just made it look like that 🤷🏼
Weather in Germany and Austria was horrible both yesterday and today. It was more like in December than what one would expect beginning of April. Before start of a trip have checked weather forecast for the area and swapped Summer wheels with Winter set. If haven't done that would have been in deeeep 💩
Sky Mountain Cloud Plant Snow

Sky Window Car Vehicle Snow

·
Premium Member
16,584 Posts
Fortunate to have a dog that loves being in a car all day long.
View attachment 45976 A sign not seen very often.😎🏎🏁
View attachment 45974
Btw nothing is wrong with the central digital cluster, phone camera just made it look like that 🤷🏼
Weather in Germany and Austria was horrible both yesterday and today. It was more like in December than what one would expect beginning of April. Before start of a trip have checked weather forecast for the area and swapped Summer wheels with Winter set. If haven't done that would have been in deeeep 💩
View attachment 45978

View attachment 45980
That is one full car!

Good call to swap out the wheels / tyres, isn't it a requirement over there this time of year by law anyway?

Safe trip

Jim

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
XF got first touchless wash and the result was better than expected. She was spotless.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Cherry blossom

Wheel Tire Car Plant Automotive side marker light

One of many Shell visits
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

And now resting in Regensburg for the night before last leg of the trip home tomorrow.
Vehicle Wheel Car Window Tire

·
Premium Member
16,584 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Car Vehicle Speedometer Automotive design Steering part

Photo was taken while queuing for the train in Coquelles.
Reset the trip log South of Frankfurt so average speed and fuel consumption are based on speeds up to 125mph on Autobahn and up to 80mph through Belgium and France.
Not so bad considering the car was full packed.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another European trip, this time to Northern Spain and another fantastic performance by XF. With each long trip XF is proving to be the right choice I’ve made and moved to Jaguar from MB. XF is outperforming all German and one Swedish cars I had in every aspect except the size of the boot. E class is really hard to match.
Average mpg of 31 on 870 miles trip was a bit higher than usual but I’m putting it down to the fuel as I was running her on normal 95 octane petrol and was driving a bit faster through France averaging 78.9mph 🥴
Again barely any sight of any other Jaguar on the road. Few E and F-Paces, one XE taxi and one battered X250 XF in Spain, one XJS on a recovery truck and one beautiful XJR near Roses in Spain. No F-Type and not a single one XF X260.
Car Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Vehicle

Car Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Sky Road surface Asphalt Slope Thoroughfare

Sky Road surface Natural landscape Natural environment Asphalt

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,057 Posts
Sounds like everything is going tickety-boo so far, gorgeous blue skies in the last two photos and you can see for miles and miles :cool:

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,057 Posts
Older daughter yesterday while we were getting ready in a garage made a comment that made my day
“Daddy, Jag sounds so good when you’re starting it!”
Me - Smug
Atta girl! How lovely is that?! ;)

• Love
1 - 20 of 34 Posts