Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. So sorry for not being active much but the truth is my XF has been going great. Well that was the case until last night when strange things started happening.

Firstly I drove 5 miles from home, stopped for fuel and then drove another 30 miles with no problems. I popped into b&m for bits n pieces, then drove a couple of miles round to Tesco. I popped in store for printing paper and returned less than 10 minutes later.

Started the car no problems, then I began connecting my phone to the Aux for Spotify and when I looked at the dash it was showing a yellow restricted performance warning. Anyways moved the gear knob into D and then got a gearbox fault warning, also yellow. The D on the instrument panel and D by the knob where both flashing. Tried S and R but again still flashing with the car behaving as if it's in neutral. I returned the knob to P and waited before trying D again, but same thing happened. I returned the knob to P and shut the engine off.

After a minute or 2 I started the engine again. The restricted performance and gearbox fault notifications were now gone but the moment I moved the knob from P there was a clunk and shake and the yellow gearbox fault warning returned, again the D icon flashing. When I returned it to P and tried moving it again it was now locked there, even though my foot was on the brake pedal. I just shut down again and sat listening to some music for a few minutes before trying again.

After a few minutes I tried again and all was well. I was able to drive the car with no problems all the way back home. I used D and S modes along with paddle shift and the box performed perfectly, smooth changes everytime. No problems with performance either.

Anyone know what could cause these warnings? I've had the gearbox issue before but I think this is the first time it has actually displayed gearbox fault on the instrument panel. And this is the first time I've seen restricted performance warning also.

I know it's not a dpf issue as the car only ever completes long journeys and the dpf just cleared the previous day I believe.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,
John.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
If it's the original battery it will definitely need to be changed.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
I'd agree - battery.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Well, it's quite possible it 'was' fine a couple of months ago - I'd ask the same mechanic to do another check or to be honest, if it's the original battery, I'd probably change it anyway - they're not that expensive and we are heading into winter after all. It may just have been circumstances, Temperature, you used the heated rear window, some earlier usage etc - all combined to push it over the edge and technically its now ok again, but if it's let you down once, it's almost certainly going to do it again.
The problem is, batteries can fail in numerous ways, sometimes they just get weaker, sometimes they just suddenly let go (my wife's Freelander was fine on Monday, on Tuesday, dead as a dodo) so they're very hard to predict.
Of course the issue may have been an odd computer glitch that cleared on its own and nothing to do with the battery but you'll probably never know.
I'd get a new battery to be safe.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys, thanks for all the replies.

Yeah I intended to get a battery a couple of months ago until the garage said mine was fine and it didn't need one (honest mechanic, oh the shock lol)

What kind of battery does this car take so I can make sure the right one gets fitted?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably should have mentioned that I have started using the car less these last few weeks. It gets maybe one or two outings during the week and then one outing at the weekend.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Not sure - I'd have a look at the battery - see what the AH and make up is from the label. Then check ECP , GSF etc and see who has a deal. Amazingly I've often had some great deals from Halfords!

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm getting a new battery fitted this evening so hopefully that will stop these annoying issues once and for all.

Will the key need to be re-programmed to the car?
Key doesn't need reprogramming.

Try get a battery with higher Cold Crank Amps if the cost isn't much higher. That always helps with the colder morning starts.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New battery fitted this evening.
The old battery was a Global branded battery...not sure if that's original or not but it had a breather tube type thing connected and the mechanic seemed to think it was probably the original battery.

Had a few strange warnings come on with the new battery straight after startup, like the engine was running but the centre screen was telling me to put my foot on the brake before starting and a battery low warning on the infotainment screen. However after a run out all is well. I've reset the windows, adjusted the clock and set my seat position to memory 1 and all is good.

Not sure if it's just my brain being stupid but I do find there's more response from the engine. And does the XF have auto dimming door mirrors? I just happened to notice they were very dark but instantly cleared when I selected reverse...never noticed this before.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Yes the door mirrors darken if you've got that option. Did you remember to reset the parking brake? I forgot to do this once and had a rear caliper getting very hot a few days later.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The old battery was a Global branded battery...not sure if that's original or not but it had a breather tube type thing connected and the mechanic seemed to think it was probably the original battery.

Had a few strange warnings come on with the new battery straight after startup, like the engine was running but the centre screen was telling me to put my foot on the brake before starting and a battery low warning on the infotainment screen. However after a run out all is well. I've reset the windows, adjusted the clock and set my seat position to memory 1 and all is good.

Not sure if it's just my brain being stupid but I do find there's more response from the engine. And does the XF have auto dimming door mirrors? I just happened to notice they were very dark but instantly cleared when I selected reverse...never noticed this before.
I`m sure mines always tells me to press brake before starting.

My old battery was a JLR supplied one , not original but replaced by previous owner and it had a breather tube. One of the old wet cell type that you topped up now and again, so suspect your would be quite old. A new battery remedies quite a lot of faults on these cars :)

I never knew these dimming mirrors existed.

·
Registered
243 Posts
it had a breather tube type thing connected
I think you are required to have a breather tube on the battery because it is fitted in the boot of the car instead of under the bonnet. I am sure this is because in theory the battery being in the boot is the same as having it inside the car so potential fumes have to be vented out of the boot space.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think you are required to have a breather tube on the battery because it is fitted in the boot of the car instead of under the bonnet. I am sure this is because in theory the battery being in the boot is the same as having it inside the car so potential fumes have to be vented out of the boot space.
Unless the breather tube ends outside the car then it`s only going to vent in the boot space anyway. Below the floor mat. The tube was only about 6-8 inches long iirc

·
Registered
243 Posts
It is supposed to be vented outside all right. There should be a grommet in the floor somewhere near the battery that the vent tube is inserted into.

Not at my car now to check where it is exactly. Sorry

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.