My XJR 575 thread

MrKis

Reaction score
A cant quite picture it but have you tried lifting the gate up?
Maybe you could add some washers to where the gate sits on it's hinge or something to tilt it?

system11

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
No vertical movement possible at all and it's a good inch lifted on the pavement. I'll think of something. I was surprised I got it out at all honestly without moving the Fiat, in the dark it would definitely end badly though!

C16RKC

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
I'd just get a contractor in to sort it. I am guessing if you can afford an XJR 575, then a few hundred quid to dig up the drive and re lay it won't break you into a sweat.

I had someone dig up our path, then re-concrete it last year. Only cost me £150.

system11

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
It's the public footpath that got raised up, the council might even blame us for it!

C16RKC

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Ah I see, that's a pain... sorry I misunderstood that part.

I would say there is still no harm in seeing if a private contactor might do it for you I suppose; but it's a risk I guess. I suppose the council would not be best pleased if they found out you were digging up their path.

But I would not recommend involving the council. Unfortunately I have found in the past that if you want work done on public roads/paths, the council have to arrange it. The shocking part is that the same contractor is called in as you might use privately, but the bill is somehow much higher. I am not sure who pockets the extra cash?

I wanted to drop the curb 15 years ago or so, on a house I used to own, so that I could turn part of the front garden into a drive. A contractor quoted £1,500, which seemed about right to me. But he told me he did a lot of council work like that, and suggested I check with them it was OK (apparently they have to assess if the curb being dropped is safe, dependant on proximity to junctions etc.).. The Kings Lynn and West Norfolk council looked into it for me, and told me I would have to pay them, and then they would arrange the contractor. But the mind boggling part was that they wanted £4,000. I spoke to the chap at the council, and he seemed apologetic enough, but said there was nothing he could do, and had no idea where the prices came from. He also said he recognised the name of the contractor I had originally approached, and confirmed he often did work for them.

I did not have £4K burning a hole in my pocket, so I suffered parking on the road until I moved.

GRTD

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Perhaps suggest to the council that it’s a trip hazard, I’m assuming they won’t want to risk claims?

C16RKC

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
I think he was worried they will blame his holly hock plant, and he'll get charged for the work.

I always knew gardening was hazardous... much safer to fettle and clean the car.

system11

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
I'l see what I can do myself if it ever stops raining.

I picked up one of those Jaguar boot tidy things by the way, it seems very good and was cheap enough on ebay. Good for the general tat like ice scraper, fire extinguisher and these days masks etc. You can have it open to full or half size, side clips control that, it's well thought out.

It's a shame the newer XJ can't have those side nets fitted. I have some brand new ones here I never got around to putting in and they won't fit on anything post-2014.

Ice Cube

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Ah I see, that's a pain... sorry I misunderstood that part.

I would say there is still no harm in seeing if a private contactor might do it for you I suppose; but it's a risk I guess. I suppose the council would not be best pleased if they found out you were digging up their path.

But I would not recommend involving the council. Unfortunately I have found in the past that if you want work done on public roads/paths, the council have to arrange it. The shocking part is that the same contractor is called in as you might use privately, but the bill is somehow much higher. I am not sure who pockets the extra cash?

I wanted to drop the curb 15 years ago or so, on a house I used to own, so that I could turn part of the front garden into a drive. A contractor quoted £1,500, which seemed about right to me. But he told me he did a lot of council work like that, and suggested I check with them it was OK (apparently they have to assess if the curb being dropped is safe, dependant on proximity to junctions etc.).. The Kings Lynn and West Norfolk council looked into it for me, and told me I would have to pay them, and then they would arrange the contractor. But the mind boggling part was that they wanted £4,000. I spoke to the chap at the council, and he seemed apologetic enough, but said there was nothing he could do, and had no idea where the prices came from. He also said he recognised the name of the contractor I had originally approached, and confirmed he often did work for them.

I did not have £4K burning a hole in my pocket, so I suffered parking on the road until I moved.
Chap over the road had his kerb dropped by the irishmen widening and bricking his drive. Just chopped through the kerbs with an angle grinder. Looks awful, but it cost probably £200 and no Council involvement. Your contractor is too posh.