Never before seen door jamb switch

dlpweb

Reaction score
This is from a '72 S3 roadster, driver's side door (the passenger door has a standard pin switch)

Switches on the key warning buzzer and interior light

Has 3 wires connected to it (mine is pretty beat up as I was grinding away on the plastic to see if the contacts could be freshened up). I think this only existed for 1, maybe 2 years.

In the attached wiring diagram #'s 21 and 169 are integrated into this one switch

ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS OR WHERE ONE CAN BE HAD?
IMG_2142.JPG IMG_2144.JPG IMG_2141.JPG IMG_2140.JPG IMG_2139.JPG

piman

Reaction score
Hello Dlpweb,

not a lot of response to your question.

I don't have any E Type experience but if I understand your question, you have a less than satisfactory door jamb switch which has two terminals? I presume it is a single throw, single pole switch, i.e. a normal on and off with only one switch element? I see no reason not to use the normal switch with one terminal. and join the three wires to that terminal?

Alec

dlpweb

Reaction score
Thx for response, Alec!

No - it's a double throw switch. One side is normally open and when the door opens closes one terminal to ground (this is for the map light). The other pole is also normally open but when the door opens closes the remaining 2 terminals together (this is for the seat belt buzzer).

I went ahead and drilled a second hole in the door jamb and am just separating the functions into 2 switches. The car is almost totally original, and i hated doing this, but oh well. I think the OEM switch was only used 2 years and (I guess) is an unheard-of relic now.

piman

Reaction score
Hello Dlpweb,

That's a new one on me. Too late now but a discreet change over relay would have done the same job. Tucked out of the way it wouldn't have been noticed.

Alec

dlpweb

Reaction score
Almost did that, Alec (relay)!

Anyway, have the 2nd pin switch installed, which was of course a big job because of access to the door jamb) and just received my 2-wire switch today. It's a refrigerator door switch --N.O., 1/2 inch diameter (perfect for existing mounting plate), with correct spade connectors. Will send a photo.

BTW - the fridge switches came from China. PETRIFIED to even touch the package! Latex gloves, package itself never entered the house; switches got rubbed down in chlorine solution also before coming in. What a strange, odd world we live in!

dlpweb

Reaction score
Finally got time to finish this. Sorry - should have cleaned the door jam before taking a pic.
IMG_2167.jpg

Carlo

Reaction score
I have one of these unobtanium dual-function door jamb switches in my '70 2+2. I tried several different configurations trying to test the switch but came up with no results. Either the switch is DOA or I'm missing something in my testing procedure. I have power to the switch. How is this type of switch tested?
Thanks

Carlo

Reaction score
^ ^ ^ My testing procedure was all wrong. What I THOUGHT was power to the switch, was actually phantom voltage that I was reading through the bulb filament. I should have realized from the start that door switches operate by interrupting ground, not hot. Once that became obvious, the rest went smoothly. In my case, the switch operates the key-in-the-ignition buzzer, and the map light and courtesy lights in the footwells. The courtesy lights were not a Jaguar design, and the buzzer had been disconnected (glad to say).

As an aside - I do not believe this switch to have both n/o AND n/c contacts. The two terminals on my switch operate in unison (n/o)