Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to Wales on the M4, Lane 3 70 ish lol in a xjr, anyway suddenly get this scraping noise from below,so pulled onto hard shoulder.
Long story short one of the Fuel tank straps snapped. Luckily the tank sat on the tie bar across the car.
Anyway just for a change New straps were only £15 each, so had both done at the same time.
Proably been on since new 2003,so lasted well.Only sheet steel & not that thick,rusted thru.
Do people check theirs ??.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I'm sure I can recall reading a post about this problem a year or three ago so it looks like it is, or is becoming, a 'known problem'.

Yeh, worth checking 'em.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It happened to me with my 2003 Sport 3 litre in 2015. Yes, the straps are not expensive, but I would have preferred it if Jaguar had galvanised the things. They could charge £25 for them then, even £30 and it would not be outrageous. Badly painted mild steel underneath a car in salt-laden winter roads in the UK is just stupidity, IMHO. Of course Jaguar are not unique on this, but even os.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It happened to me with my 2003 Sport 3 litre in 2015. Yes, the straps are not expensive, but I would have preferred it if Jaguar had galvanised the things ...
... or even used stainless steel. I mean, two straps ...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks for the tip - I'll add it to my list.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Anyone know the part numbers for these straps ?

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Popped mine up on the ramps today and had a look. Mine look as good as gold at the moment. Might give them both a brush with waxoil. in the spring time to keep them in good condition. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just had one snap on my x, not a big deal to replace it seems, but the prices whoa, about £30 for the left side but £130ish for the right hand side which looks exactly the same, any idea why anybody ?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just had a look at mine. They're quite rusty but difficult to know how bad until they're removed so have ordered some from Dave Manners. £37 Inc vat and delivery.
Better safe than sorry as I'm driving down to Let mans next month for the 24 hr classic race.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Already seen those but thanks anyway Jerry. Still a bit expensive for what they are when you add the postage.
Will take one off next week sometime and have a look.
They might even not need to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.