New Football thread

stewartw

Reaction score
That's not very inclusive for chickens with heads now is it?
I humbly withdraw my discriminatory description which either denigrates or enhances the status of headless chickens.
I wish to include all chickens.
There is a small matter of communication here, to inform the headless ones that they are to be joined by those with heads.
How does one converse with a chicken missing vital physical parts related to the sound and sight senses, one wonders!

NM_OLD

Reaction score
I humbly withdraw my discriminatory description which either denigrates or enhances the status of headless chickens.
There is a small matter of communication here, to inform the headless ones that they are to be joined by those with heads.
How does one converse with a chicken missing vital physical parts related to the sound and sight senses, one wonders!
I'm clucked if I know

Scruffy Puppy

Reaction score
I would think the same way as all the woke, me too units do?, they all talk out of their ar$e I assume they can hear up it as well!

Poundy

Reaction score
New signing Emiliano Buendia looks like he will provide that little bit of extra `magic for us this season.
Linked up well with Watkins and provided both assists in the first half before the team change over at half time, against Walsall FC.
Second half a couple of well taken goals by two of our youngsters who have joined up for first team training.

Added to that, one of our owners, just lifted the NBA Championship Trophy with the Milwaukee Bucks a team he bought in 2014 and developed with Marc Lasry, the first time for 50yrs they have been up there.

Think a Villa Champions league cup is next on his agenda ;)

Rowley_1812

Reaction score
We too had a run out with Walsall, one could say the first proper 90 minutes of Vieira's reign, a single Zaha goal won it for us. To be honest I didn't notice much difference, no new signings were included except he mixed in several academy and U23 youngsters. At half time all 11 were subbed and we somehow found another team, many of whom I'd never seen before.

But we are doing some serious trading which is promising, four new signings and three of them 22 or under ... with 6 out of contract gone, all 30 or over.

Marc Guéhi (21) from Chelski looks a good buy but we still need another CB ... and then another couple in midfield and the average age and squad complement should be sorted ... and ready for another battle against relegation! :)

Poundy

Reaction score
We too had a run out with Walsall, one could say the first proper 90 minutes of Vieira's reign, a single Zaha goal won it for us. To be honest I didn't notice much difference, no new signings were included except he mixed in several academy and U23 youngsters. At half time all 11 were subbed and we somehow found another team, many of whom I'd never seen before.

But we are doing some serious trading which is promising, four new signings and three of them 22 or under ... with 6 out of contract gone, all 30 or over.

Marc Guéhi (21) from Chelski looks a good buy but we still need another CB ... and then another couple in midfield and the average age and squad complement should be sorted ... and ready for another battle against relegation! :)
I think with the high cost of bringing new players in, the only real way forward is to bulk the squad up by growing your own :)

We added at least another 10 signings to the new Bodymoor Heath training facility this year and are already seeing some of the earlier crops training and playing with the seniors. Some good performances by the ones picked for last nights friendly looking forward to August and the final frontier 😊

Rowley_1812

Reaction score
I'm with you there Poundy. The cost factor linked with the Covid fallout has helped convince Palace - and I'm sure many other 'less well-endowed' Clubs - that buying in 'mature' proven talent on high wages may no longer be prudent. Taken us a while to realise mind. :rolleyes:

Michael Olise (19), one of the four I mentioned, may have been a rising star in the Championship last year but will take a while to settle in let alone make the match day squad on a regular basis. But once he does find his feet (no pun intended) and provided young Eze recovers well enough to get himself back into contention next January then we might have some lively midfield options to take over from what will be left of the old regulars.

We too are buying direct into the Academy, one of the latest being a promising and much sought after Portuguese forward from the Posh, Adler Nascimento, aged just 16.

So yes, a literal changing of the guard down here in South London. It had to be done, just hope that it's not too many changes at once ... but then only time and fresh thinking at the top will tell. If we hit the ground running in August I shall be very surprised, even shocked, but hey ... living on a knife edge is what we do at Selhurst Park! :D