Jaguar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

· Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
When I was setting up my new laptop, I clicked on a button that said try it and whiteout think like a twit I did and pop! everything went dark, well you can imaging the state I was in and 'Don’t Panic Mr. Mainwaring’' doesn't come into it :eek:

So for the next couple of days, everything was in dark mode, well I say everything, I mean MS Word of course, but that is a biggie for me, okay not disastrous, just a bit off-putting and I calmed myself down, with the knowledge that the message did say 'try it' after all, which must mean there is a way to get out of it.

Once I had settled down with the PC, saved all the folders/files from the old one and loaded the ones I wanted onto the new one, it was time to get it sorted, so I thought I would share my findings, as actually it is a very simple process, and you might like to have a play around with your own devices to rings the changes so-to-speak, so here we go, first with a link, then the simple steps in text and also with pictures, to cover all bases ...

How to Turn Off Dark Mode in Microsoft Word (howtogeek.com)

You can change the theme of Microsoft Word using some simple steps:
1) Open up Word
2) Click on ‘File’
3) Click on ‘Account’
4) Click on ‘Office Theme’ drop down menu and make your choice
  • Colorful
  • Dark Gray
  • Black
  • White
  • Use system Setting (I must admit I didn’t try this one)

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Screenshot

· Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
If you look directly above the 'Office Theme' box, you will see one headed 'Office Background' and this allows you to change the graphics in the top 'blue' band running across the Word document. I had a go at this and for me it all seemed a bit pointless, but I admit I could be missing something here, as I gave up before investigaint further, as it was of no interest to me. You on the other hand, might be tickled pink by it, so here is a little taster for you ...

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

· Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Okey-dokey this tip is for those who like me, don't want the use of Cloud and haven't got around to trying the other recommendations already posted in this thread. Righteo, as you all know now, I don't like my info floating about in the ether where all the clever techno guys and gals can get their eyeballs on it if they so desire and oh yes, I do have some stunning car, kitty and bow-wow piccies that could probably make them a mint if sold to the right Red Top ;)

So the information I am going to share with you next is to use at your own discretion and I will be pointing out the things that I did that could well have been disastrous if you had been in my shoes and not been as prepared as well as me - not boasting here, just spreading the love as I hope you will see a bit further along.

So my objective was to 'stop' Cloud doing its thing, and I can tell you that for me was no easy thing. Oh yes, the instructions a simple AND frugal, but my brain just couldn't digest the information, so after many, MANY attempts, toing and froing in and out of systems and looking for help online, I have managed to come up with some sort of solution, and here we go with the pitfalls and all ...

Back up your folders with OneDrive - Microsoft Support

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Signage

Okay, did you get that sort of subtle warning, this is the single most important thing you must do if you are going to start to play around with OneDrive and your files that are stored in Cloud.

This is what I did, I deleted everything from OneDrive and then found to my horror that everything was wiped off my PC, luckily as you know, I had already stored everything I own onto 2 external hard drives, so it was no problem at all for me to just transfer the half dozen or so folders that I wanted on the new laptop again. Actually, by the time I finally finished finding my way around and messing about with OneDrive, I think I had to make 3 transfers of folders from my EHD, easy enough, but just a pain, so hopefully my faux pas will help you avoid some your end, should you want to have ago yourself.

Now onto the fun part, to access OneDrive you have two options that I know of:
Option 1
1. Click on Settings
2. Click on System
3 .Click on OneDrive
4. Click on the folder you want to 'Stop Backup' if any
5. Click on 'Stop backup' if you are sure this is what you want to do, if not, just click 'Stay backed up'
6. Then return to System --> OneDrive --> Manage Folder Backup and choose another folder to stop back up and so on and so forth, repeating each step as required.

Product Rectangle Azure Font Parallel

· Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
OPTION 2
1) Click the Cloud / OneDrive Icon on the task bar
2) Click settings in the pop-up window
3) Click 'Quit OneDrive'
4 Click 'Close OneDrive' if you are sure this is what you want to do, if not, just click 'Cancel'

Product Rectangle Font Line Screenshot

When I did this process first the Cloud Icon disappeared from the task Bar - fantastic!

Then I checked to see if my files were still backed up and they were, as in (Fig. A) hence repeating the process going through 'Pause syncing'. Anyway, I could be mistaken here but I'm not going to try it again, as I've had my fill with this one for today, errrr and what is now yesterday, but I think thinks might get triggered off and activated again by going back into Settings -> System -> OneDrive etc. Things ain't easy when it is a process of elimination along with trial and error due to a serious lack of technical know-how o_O :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

· Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
I tell you what though, In my opinion, Microsoft really seem dead set on keeping hold of this Cloud business, as it has been one heck of a wrangle to work out how to stop it, even when you think it's done, they have ways of sending updates and bingo, the whole caboodle is darn well activated again. I am going to be keeping a careful eye out for that icon popping up again on my Task Bar in the future I can tell you., downright creepy 'tis.

Nose Face Eyelash Sky Cloud

· Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
As I found out when I started up my laptop today the above Cloud and OneDrive 'fixes' ain't much cop and are very much a temporary solution - oh woe is me and thrice woe, as everything reverted back to the way things were before I tweeked things.

So back on the search went and I came up with a more permanent solution. I did come across this before in other guises, but it wasn't until I gained more knowledge from videos and articles that I could actually understand, what are really very simple and straightforward instructions. Still if you don't know where the local shop is, you have to go out of town to get your shopping right o_O

So, incase you are interested once more, and to save you another headache like wot I got, here are some tips to get you to the finishing line with no hurdles
Dishware Orange Ingredient Food Art

This webpage is for Windows and macOS: Turn off, disable, or uninstall OneDrive - Microsoft Support

Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot Software

The good news is, that this 'fix' is not permanent and you can sign into OneDrive again to start using cloud strage once more. As soon as I clicked unlink account, a new pop-up window appeared, inviting me to sign in again and I bet you can get the kind of look on my face when I saw this one ... always good to have the choice of course ...

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Technology
Smile Eye Plant Tree Happy

· Administrator
10,266 Posts
Microsoft (Azure) & Amazon (AWS) are the top 2 in the world with cloud storage, we use them both at work and are used up to a sensitive level. I use OneDrive up to 1TB as I have 365 premium at a discounted rate via work, never had an issue and is so handy having all my documents sync at any PC I log into.

· Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
Microsoft (Azure) & Amazon (AWS) are the top 2 in the world with cloud storage, we use them both at work and are used up to a sensitive level. I use OneDrive up to 1TB as I have 365 premium at a discounted rate via work, never had an issue and is so handy having all my documents sync at any PC I log into.
High recommendation indeed and as always, good to get a balanced view (y)

· Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,603 Posts
Yep, I enjoy my OneDrive too, (not discounted though which is a bummer) but with 1tb of storage, I can access my photos and files from my laptop, phone iPad and anywhere I choose to sign in.

I appreciate the caution of putting your stuff out there though, but my view is that the likes of MS and Apple iCloud etc are the safest bet compared to others I’ve seen.

I also have a stored external drive as a back-up but you have to decide when is too much. Cloud storage is handy as I know if my laptop does go pfff.. I still have my stuff as well as I don’t have a lot of time to save things in triplicate on hard drives.
The photos on my signature are on OneDrive but I also know the rest of my stuff is safe, however I know that these photos will be enjoyed by other forum members, so I have shared as read only, another plus I think?

· Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Yep, I enjoy my OneDrive too, (not discounted though which is a bummer) but with 1tb of storage, I can access my photos and files from my laptop, phone iPad and anywhere I choose to sign in.

I appreciate the caution of putting your stuff out there though, but my view is that the likes of MS and Apple iCloud etc are the safest bet compared to others I’ve seen.

I also have a stored external drive as a back-up but you have to decide when is too much. Cloud storage is handy as I know if my laptop does go pfff.. I still have my stuff as well as I don’t have a lot of time to save things in triplicate on hard drives.
The photos on my signature are on OneDrive but I also know the rest of my stuff is safe, however I know that these photos will be enjoyed by other forum members, so I have shared as read only, another plus I think?
There is no doubt about it, OneDrive and Cloud storage has enormous benefits to personal users and for businesses alike and it is definitely easier to share files between devices than to download things onto an external hard drive (EHD), which of course you would have to carry on your person, should you want to access the data at any time, especially if you don't want every file taking up space on your PC.

I only wish I could trust the MS Cloud storage facility or anything similar to it, but I simply don't, and as such, as I have said before, it means I save my data on multiple EHDs which I have just counted to be 8.

· Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Well, had a spot of bother trying to opt out of S mode. Thought I had achieved it and downloaded photoimaging software, but went to use it and nope, virus software had blocked the download. as had a Lenovo update, very long story of many, many times repeating the process and going through MS Store to 'Get' out of the S mode with repeated messages each time saying 'working on it', this was over a 3 day period, but I was determined to find an answer, somehow.

I went through various permutations, via Settings/|System, looking for advice on YT videos, 'Fixing' and 'Repairing' things and still no joy, so in the end I thought the only way forward, would be to do a System Rest. First job was to save everything I had done since getting the laptop, to an EHD, next I uninstalled the lasted updates to windows including security ones.

Then I thought I would try to reinstall Windows 11, so in order to do this, I had to uninstall all versions of Windows that had been installed onto the PC - these being windows 10 & 11--> DELETED/DONE ✅

Next job was to reinstall Window 11 and I did this from the computer --> DONE ✅

Once installed the first thing I did was to opt out of S mode and eureka! --> DONE ✅

Photoimaging installed, as well as two others also successfully downloaded and installed, and Lenovo updates completed --> DONE ✅

Finally I installed all the Windows updates that were required and everything is working as it should ... one very relieved and happy Ruby

Cartoon Gesture Rectangle Sharing Output device

· Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I have just been transferring files onto my last external hard drive and it has crashed 4 times now and needed fixing 3 times. That's it for this one, I am now in the process of deleting the files saved on it thus far and then it is going in the bin. I bought this EHD 7th December 2021, so this is one of my newest ones and you never can tell when they will let you down: hence having so many.

This is the make just to give you a heads up in case you might be interested and I bought the 160GB:
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

· Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
3,754 Posts
If you buy one in future look into Solid State Drives (SSD). They work far quicker, just like a USB stick.

• Helpful
Reactions: Glenn65 and Ruby351

· Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
3,754 Posts
Psst, that will keep her busy for a while reading up on those! 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: Glenn65 and Ruby351

· Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Cheeky b*gger, I'll have you know I'm putting the finishing touches to me Fisch Forstner bits.

Then I'm going to look up Solid State Drives, buy I'm running out of pennies fast so I'm hoping they're cheapish o_O

· Administrator
10,266 Posts
I have just been transferring files onto my last external hard drive and it has crashed 4 times now and needed fixing 3 times. That's it for this one, I am now in the process of deleting the files saved on it thus far and then it is going in the bin. I bought this EHD 7th December 2021, so this is one of my newest ones and you never can tell when they will let you down: hence having so many.

This is the make just to give you a heads up in case you might be interested and I bought the 160GB:
View attachment 60849
Wouldn’t happen or a worry using the cloud…;)

Just one of the many reasons why we binned them all at work.

· Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Wouldn’t happen or a worry using the cloud…;)

Just one of the many reasons why we binned them all at work.
Not that I would say you're getting predictable Ian, but you were even quicker than I thought with this response, and I would be very interested in how you managed to get all those clouds in a bin ... now that's what I call extremely clever ;)

Reactions: idrobbo

· Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Hmmmm you're right - this is taking longer than I thought ... another day tomorrow :rolleyes::unsure:

Reactions: idrobbo

· Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,603 Posts
I know your dislike for the Cloud Gina, but I changed the HDD in my laptop for a 1TB Sandisk SSD yesterday (bought for £65.99 from Argos) and because I have most of my files (excluding music and movies) stored on the cloud I was done and dusted last night.
My movies are stored on a 4TB SDD taped to the lid of my laptop and music on a 1TB SSD

As Ian said, SSD is the way to go, it’s made my old laptop so much quicker than it was. I formatted the old 1TB HDD that was in the laptop to start with and moved that into the old DVD drive slot as there was only a blanking cover there. I got myself a caddy to hold the drive. This too will get changed out for a SSD at some point.

I know in reading about them, SSD’s can deteriorate too but they are less prone to damage as there are no moving parts in them like the HDD drives.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ruby351 and PetA

· Administrator
10,266 Posts
Not that I would say you're getting predictable Ian, but you were even quicker than I thought with this response, and I would be very interested in how you managed to get all those clouds in a bin ... now that's what I call extremely clever ;)
That doesn’t even make any sense, maybe if you read it again.

You worry about your precious few documents though, when I’m dealing with 10’s of million’s of documents weekly, all on cloud storage ;)

61 - 80 of 106 Posts