new member in Australia

portmac

Reaction score
Hi Jag lovers, just a bit of an intro about me as I just joined. I am an old bloke on the east coast of NSW in Australia in a place called Port Macquarie. I've driven many jags over the years, but none were mine until six months ago when I bought my 2006 X-type 3.0 auto AWD sport luxury type. I got it dirt cheap because it had a bit of body damage which I had fixed and it now looks lovely. I love the car. I drives beautifully and I feel like a king driving it. Having said that, my previous 04 model Magna 3.5 sedan was a far superior vehicle in every way, but it had no style. Very reliable. but the Jag is not. Having battled with the darn headlights pointing too far down, I am now looking down the barrel of a transmission service. Probably will cost me thousands. But the real bug is the drivers door lock. It unlocks fine with the fob, but won't lock. I use the fob to lock the other doors and have to use the key to lock the drivers door. I can hear the actuator click and it makes all the right noises, but... waiting for a new second hand actuator from the UK but I think it probably will be a waste. Problem for me is finding anyone around here who can work on a Jag (other than the Jag new car dealership which is too expensive and wants $1050 for a new actuator. Nuts) so I will try and do the job myself. But anyway, sorry for the long story, the important thing is I now own a Jag and love it. I may of course regret it!

S-Type Owner

Reaction score
Welcome. If you are the least bit "handy" I am sure there are X-type forum members who can walk you through the process of swapping out the lock/actuator. Also, check on YouTube, there is most likely a video on this (I know there is on the S-type).

Not too long ago I moved from an urban coastal area (with lots of independent service facilities) to rural Montana; for things that I cannot handle myself, the local Ford agency is willing to work on my S-type, given it design relation to the Lincoln LS. Your car is even more closely related to the Mondeo of the same era. You might want to make an inquiry along the same lines...

portmac

Reaction score
Welcome. If you are the least bit "handy" I am sure there are X-type forum members who can walk you through the process of swapping out the lock/actuator. Also, check on YouTube, there is most likely a video on this (I know there is on the S-type).

Not too long ago I moved from an urban coastal area (with lots of independent service facilities) to rural Montana; for things that I cannot handle myself, the local Ford agency is willing to work on my S-type, given it design relation to the Lincoln LS. Your car is even more closely related to the Mondeo of the same era. You might want to make an inquiry along the same lines...
Thank you S-Type Owner for your comments. We have several mechanical workshops here that are not new car dealerships or Jag dealers, and I've tried all of them. Unfortunately although they all claimed to be able to sort out things with my Jag, they are by no means experts. I know about the Mondeo connection, unfortunately the Mondeo door lock actuators are different and I can use them. However I am not at all sure it's the case that the actuator is not working because when I used the fob, I can hear the actuator making the typical click/movement noises. It unlocks the door OK 95% of the time, but does not lock it. This I guess might mean there is some kind of mechanical fault (cables maybe) rather than electrical (actuator). I wonder what would other members conclude about this. Or what would your thought be. Does not make sense to me that an actuator can be "half-faulty" i.e. opens but does not close. Anyway, thanks for your response and I look forward to more research on this forum.

portmac

Reaction score
Given that I said in my previous post I am worried about the cost of the upcoming automatic transmission service, I should update any interested parties. The transmission service was uneventful, they changed the dark frothy oil, some filters and stuff and it all works better now. Cost me AU $740 which is a lot less than I expected. The expert told me the transmission on a X type feels and behaves a bit differently than most run of the mill cars, so I feel much better!