Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my Jaguar x type estate 2 ltr diesel last Thursday and took it for a journey of around 80 miles, the car drove faultlessly however the next day when I went to drive the car the abs light and red handbrake light illuminated, these went off when I went to drive the car a second time that day.

The next day the yellow engine management light came on and is still on now but the car drives fine.
I have an obd2 code reader and obtained 4 readings all which were p0405 p0405 p0405 p and finally p0405 p

So the same fault code four times,
I've spoken to the car showroom I bought it from and they will book it in to be checked but I need to do another 100 mile round trip in it tomorrow.

Any advice on what it may be and whether it's OK to drive please and I hope I haven't droned on too much.

Thanks.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
most common issue,

the engine is detecting that the egr cant open properly. which is normally down to it being clogged up. i had the same issue on my car when i got it, the garage will either replace it, or give it a good clean,

now if they replace it with a cheap pattern part, then its going to give you the same **** in a years time, as the cheap ones dont tend to last long.

i cleaned mine myself, as i didnt trust the dealer to put the same love and care in as i did

the abs + red handbrake symbols have me stumped though.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks when I read the code it pointed toward tye egr but I wanted to get confirmation, according to the cars history this has been replaced in the past so they must of used a cheap part then.

Is there a risk of the car going into limp mode because of this then since I won't get back to the garage till the weekend at best?

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Thanks when I read the code it pointed toward tye egr but I wanted to get confirmation, according to the cars history this has been replaced in the past so they must of used a cheap part then.

Is there a risk of the car going into limp mode because of this then since I won't get back to the garage till the weekend at best?
it rarely ever goes into limp mode cause of the EGR. normally limp mode is caused by the turbo.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK then, I will take it easy until I get it back to the dealer, as for the abs it has not recurred and no error codes are showing for that. The car had brand new discs and pads less then a week ago so I was hoping I'd be brake issue free for a good while.
i was warned to expect issues with the egr but I'd hoped since it had been done in the past it would be fine.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
OK then, I will take it easy until I get it back to the dealer, as for the abs it has not recurred and no error codes are showing for that. The car had brand new discs and pads less then a week ago so I was hoping I'd be brake issue free for a good while.
i was warned to expect issues with the egr but I'd hoped since it had been done in the past it would be fine.
if its recently had brake disc done etc, then they may have disturbed the wheel speed sensor, this would throw abs light, i would double check the wires around there for breaks/exposed copper

· Registered
110 Posts
It can go in to limp mode due to EGR problem, mine did. It only happened if I exceeded 2500rpm. Switch off and back on cleared it. Drove from middlesborough to Northampton like this without issue.
Mine was not an issue with the EGR as such, just dirt in the electrical plug that attached to it. Quick spray of contact cleaner and problem sorted. Yours may not have electrical connection as depends on year.
What year is yours?
Tip, put car detail in the sig at bottom so we know what model and year when answering questions.

· Premium Member
17,946 Posts
I see you have an 08 X type, so now around 9 years old......we too have a 58 plate X type so similar ages
The battery was replaced around a year ago.

You may have issues with your EGR you may have issues with your brakes or ABS......These could all be potential real issues

However, you also mention that the car runs fine, so here's something to throw into the mix and or at least consider / take note of moving forward.

These cars ( I have the XJ and wife has an X type ) are really susceptible to weak / old or failing batteries. This is true of almost all cars within the brand and across the range.
Bearing in mind all the latest electrics / gadgets and gizmos etc, a fully functioning battery in good order is essential........Please also note you're entering Autumn / Winter so even more so

A weak old or failing battery, needn't necessarily cause starting issues, way before that there can be signs of weird electrical glitches / warning lamps / issues with power windows etc and more
I would suggest that you check you battery and would not be surprised to hear that it may be the Jaguar original, at 9 years old I'd consider a new one sooner rather than later. Bear in mind a lot of replacements now only have 2-3 years warranty, with the odd one here n there offering maybe 4 or 5 years max

Hope to hear how you get on
Jim

· Registered
690 Posts
There's a little box you have to tick to tell it to display signature automatically with posts...
If I find it i will be more precise but its in the profile / settings.. There is one on the bottom left of the reply box :)

· Registered
110 Posts
However, you also mention that the car runs fine, so here's something to throw into the mix and or at least consider / take note of moving forward.
Couldn't agree more. Revs on mine started to hunt at tickover. Electronic throttle. two days later battery light came on. Engine starting sounding noisy. New battery and alternator. All quiet, smooth and no hunting at tickover.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.