Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So extra £10 on the congestion charge if I drive into London, so using their web site I thought i'd try an old gas guzzling 1991 car imported after 2006 and guess what, no extra charge required.
Check yours here https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissions-surcharge/compliance-checker

Thank you for using the T-Charge checker. Your vehicle is subject to the T-Charge if you travel in the central London Congestion Charge zone Monday to Friday between 7am to 6pm, you will be charged £10 a day. This will be in addition to the Congestion Charge.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hold on my 2001 5.5L AMG Mercedes says it's complian, no extra charge!!! London here I come.

Thank you for using the T-Charge checker. Your vehicle is not subject to the T-Charge.

Your vehicle meets at least the Euro 4 / IV standard (Euro 3 if you are a motorised tricycle or quadricycle).

·
Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,371 Posts
Just did my 2005 2.7 tdvi X350 - no charge....

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
[See concurrent thread ... "TfL 'New charges' for polluting vehicles".]

My 2.0D (55) is NOT exempt.

I thought it was Euro-4 (exempt) but apparently it's not :( .

If there's anyone out there with a 2005 2.0D that IS exempt please let me know :neutral: .

·
Banned
7,619 Posts
Hold on my 2001 5.5L AMG Mercedes says it's complian, no extra charge!!! London here I come.

Thank you for using the T-Charge checker. Your vehicle is not subject to the T-Charge.

Your vehicle meets at least the Euro 4 / IV standard (Euro 3 if you are a motorised tricycle or quadricycle).
Give her a Good Rev Up for me Steve next time your down there :-D

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
[See concurrent thread ... "TfL 'New charges' for polluting vehicles".]

My 2.0D (55) is NOT exempt.

I thought it was Euro-4 (exempt) but apparently it's not :( .

If there's anyone out there with a 2005 2.0D that IS exempt please let me know :neutral: .
Go to https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...is.ford.com/&usg=AOvVaw0E0-KaevK046N7wf3PQ4Sg
input your vin and you will get the full spec sheet when your car was made. It will show the emissions.
I have a 2.2 (55) which shows it to be Euro 4.

Roger

Roger

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
2001 X-Type - no charge.

1994 Mustang - charge.

Makes no sense - check the emissions report from the MoT and the Mustang is much cleaner...

TMW

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Go to https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...is.ford.com/&usg=AOvVaw0E0-KaevK046N7wf3PQ4Sg
input your vin and you will get the full spec sheet when your car was made. It will show the emissions.
I have a 2.2 (55) which shows it to be Euro 4.

Roger
Thanks Roger, but 'No information available' when entering my VIN on this site (and yes, I double checked!).

On the Jaguar TOPIx site mine is 'model 2006' which should by all accounts be Euro-4 which would then be exempt but whilst the site states 'STAGE IV REQUIREMENTS' under emissions the TfL site states by registration that the car is NOT exempt.

So the TfL site reckons mine is pre-Euro-4 which is supported by the V5C stating 149 g/km CO2 which also suggests pre-Euro-4.

Conflicting details hence my earlier question (#5) about other 2005 2.0D owners. :confused:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Rowley
I posted some info about this on the Oxford City Centre post. Your V5 registration document gives the emission results certified for your model of vehicle. However that isn't acceptable to TfL. Rather than re write it here's an extract.

" I'm north London based but (as yet) outside the various penalty zones. But if I want to travel into the zones (and there are plans to extend them) I have to pay both "congestion charge" and the new "T charge" (T for Toxic apparently!). The trigger point for the "T" change is compliance with Euro 4. Now many diesel X type owners like myself find that our vehicles meet Euro 4 limit values (the numbers are in the V5 log book) but the vehicles are actually certified to Euro 3 and it is that level of compliance registered on the TfL (Transport for London) system. So we have to pay even though we are as clean as any other Euro 4 vehicle. TfL does recognise that some manufacturers were "early adopters" of lower limits and are prepared to exempt a vehicle where this is the case. However, being TfL they will not accept the obvious evidence of a V5 showing the Euro test results. They insist on a letter signed by someone in Jaguar's homologation department confirming the values. Jaguar in turn do not seem to be aware of TfL's demands and are only prepared to sell me a copy of the original vehicles Certificate of Conformity (usually surrendered in the initial vehicle's registration procedure) at £100."

Just to rub salt in the wounds Jaguar insist on a copy of the V5 before they will acknowledge the numbers in it, whereas TfL won't accept a copy of it as proof. I have a copy of the application form if anyone wishes to PM me.

Extract from Jaguar application form

Please also include the following:

• Copy of V5 or similar registration document from the country of origin
  • Proof of Sale/Ownership for the vehicle
  • Copy of vehicle owners Driving Licence
  • A clear photo of the VIN Plate showing the vehicle weights
  • A clear photo of the VIN stamped to the chassis
  • A clear photo of the VIN at the windscreen

**Please ensure that all scans and/or pictures are showing visible and readable information.
Failure to provide this information may delay/cancel creation of the certificate(s)**

I doubt if I will want to travel into the current central zone more than 10 times in future. By the time I've done that many journeys the rules will have tightened to Euro 6 for Diesels anyway.

Ian C

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Thanks for all that Ian, very comprehensive, and were it not for the fact that my V5C declares the vehicle CO2 as 149g/km (pre-Euro-4/not exempt) rather than 152k/pm (Euro-4/exempt) I might put up a fight, but I fear I may be on a loser.

It's the conflicting info on the TOPIx site that made me think hence the query seeking clarification from other 2005 2.0d owners. ;)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Thanks for all that Ian, very comprehensive, and were it not for the fact that my V5C declares the vehicle CO2 as 149g/km (pre-Euro-4/not exempt) rather than 152k/pm (Euro-4/exempt) I might put up a fight, but I fear I may be on a loser.

It's the conflicting info on the TOPIx site that made me think hence the query seeking clarification from other 2005 2.0d owners. ;)
Not sure how CO2 got into the discussion on Euro standards as it isn't regulated. CO; HC and NOx are regulated emissions along with PM (particulate matter) on Diesels.
My 2005 2.0D has certificated emissions of
CO 0.047 g/km or g/kWh (not sure which is used in the certification these days)
NOx 0.205 g/km or g/kWh
HC+NOx 0.223 g/km
PM 0.022 g/km or g/kWh

all taken from V5C registration document

The Euro 4 limits are
CO 0.5
NOx 0.25
HC+NOx 0.3
PM 0.025
So in theory, although I have not attempted to get a TfL exemption, my 2005 2.0D should be exempt. I think those with a 2005 with the EGR valve powered by vacuum but switched electrically are those which meet '04 limits but are still formally certificated to the '03 regulation. When I tried the TfL checker by registration number and separately by model year, it always came back as required to pay the charge.

Excerpts from the TfL web site which prompted me to follow up with Jaguar:-

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissions-surcharge/emissions-surcharge-checker
Euro emission standards For newer vehicles, the Euro emission standard may be listed on the V5C in section D.2. If your vehicle meets the required Euro emission standard, it will also meet the required T-Charge standard. The T-Charge standard is:

• Euro 3 for quadricycles or motorised tricycles (motorcycles are not subject to the T-Charge)
  • Euro 4 for cars, vans and minibuses
  • Euro IV for HGVs, buses and coaches
A small number of vehicles manufactured before the Euro 4/Euro IV standard became mandatory will have NOx and PM emissions that meet Euro 4/Euro IV or better. These vehicles are referred to as early adopters and will not be subject to the T-Charge. This tool will help you understand if your vehicle is an early adopter and what action you should take.
Make an enquiry

If you think your vehicle meets the Euro 4 / IV standard (Euro 3 if you are a motorised tricycle or quadricycle), you can make an enquiry and attach supporting evidence.

Follow the link below and select 'Emissions Surcharge' from the drop down menu. You should attach a copy of the vehicle's registration document if registered outside the United Kingdom.

You will also need to upload a letter from the vehicle manufacturer's homologation department. They will be able to tell you what emission standard your vehicle has been built to. The letter must contain:

Vehicle Registration Mark (VRM)
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
Euro standard the vehicle was manufactured to (if Euro 3 or below also require the Fuel Type & Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) value & for diesel, the Particulate Matter (PM) value)

It must be signed by an individual from the approvals (or homologation) department. Please note that a letter signed by a customer service agent / advisor will not be accepted.

Just for info my X type is certificated at 154 g/km CO2 - it's an estate which has higher CO2 to the saloon.
Ian C

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Not sure how CO2 got into the discussion on Euro standards as it isn't regulated. CO; HC and NOx are regulated emissions along with PM (particulate matter) on Diesels.
My 2005 2.0D has certificated emissions of
CO 0.047 g/km or g/kWh (not sure which is used in the certification these days)
NOx 0.205 g/km or g/kWh
HC+NOx 0.223 g/km
PM 0.022 g/km or g/kWh

all taken from V5C registration document

The Euro 4 limits are
CO 0.5
NOx 0.25
HC+NOx 0.3
PM 0.025
So in theory, although I have not attempted to get a TfL exemption, my 2005 2.0D should be exempt. I think those with a 2005 with the EGR valve powered by vacuum but switched electrically are those which meet '04 limits but are still formally certificated to the '03 regulation. When I tried the TfL checker by registration number and separately by model year, it always came back as required to pay the charge.

Just for info my X type is certificated at 154 g/km CO2 - it's an estate which has higher CO2 to the saloon.
Ian C
That would be me dragging CO2 into it Ian, somewhere during my research I read that 149g/km on the V5C meant pre-Euro-4 and 152g/km meant Euro-4 compliant (no mention of 154 :-? ).

In fact despite the CO2 issue, relevant or not, the limits under section V that you mention (CO,NOx,HC+NOx,PM) are exactly the same as on my V5C.

And I think the above statement of yours is bang on the money! Thank you.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
See chaps?

TfL and London can't organise a pissup in a brewery.

Yet they can apply a new charge within weeks.

Why aren't their office steps swamped with rubbish?

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Even better news for TfL's total lack of ability.

I applied for a Hoarding Permit for a job I'm running. Filled the forms in, "28 working days" it says. That was in June this year, the permit lasts 10 weeks so more than enough time for the job to start in August as planned. Had the meeting with the TfL guy, discussed what we were doing, arranged for all the other gubbins, sent everything off that he asked for, in fact I hand delivered it... (This would be week 2, 10 working days).

Got the permit YESTERDAY.

The client thinks we are a bunch of clowns.

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
Central London will never see my S Type. Even if it were free I'd never take a car into Central London. Last time I had a vehicle in there it was a large HGV tanker........no problem, but a car ?? not b loody likely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
TfL have got back to the query I sent them in September. I sent them a scan of my V5C showing the CO, HC and NOx ratings, and today I received a letter today saying that my 2004 XJ8 will not need to pay the T charge. I'm quite impressed that the 13-year old 4.2 meets not just Euro IV but the current in-force Euro VI emissions standards. Without cheating.

Yup: the Jag's officially cleaner than a 2013 Polo Bluemotion. Ha ha hippies.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Hey Moose, that's very interesting.

Could you please avail us all of your V5C emission readings under section V?

It might also be a great help to know exactly to whom at TfL you wrote/emailed in September as I might do the same. :)

Must be worth a try surely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Rowley,

What I did was to go here:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissions-surcharge/registration-47575

If you go through the registration process, there's eventually a text field to request an exemption. IIRC I just put in the CO, HC and NOx values from section V of the V5C as per this table:

Emissions category CO HC NOx
Euro IV (petrol) 1.000g/km 0.100g/km 0.080g/kmEuro V (petrol) 1.000g/km 0.100g/km 0.060g/km
Euro VI (petrol) 1.000g/km 0.100g/km 0.060g/km
My car 0.150g/km 0.097g/km 0.005g/km

Records show this was actually on August 31st, not last month; I got confirmation today alongside a "this is based on information you have given us" disclaimer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.