New user..insurance

BigT

Reaction score
Hey guys great forum. I have recently bought my first jag. Xtype sport estate. Just spent a few days looking through all the threads on some of the things on the car that don’t work. Decided not to start messing about as I bought the car in Tenerife and heading home to Scotland with it. Anyway I was surprised at how expensive it is to insure. Roughly worth 1.5-2k and looking for nearly the same for insurance. Is this about right? Thanks

Fraser

Reaction score
Is that the premium after or before no-claims discount ? It sounds about right for a young person, or somebody in their mid-70s and upwards. Other thing is - have you shopped around for insurance ? Don't buy add-ons you don't need.

JimC64

Reaction score
Hi there, absolutely not at that price unless you're 17 and JUST passed your test or have a whole barrow load of convictions / points etc

shop around on Gocompare or similar, maybe a slightly higher excess will work. Try slightly changing your job title a little ( tweak it ) and see how you go

Jim

Rowley_1812

Reaction score
So many variables that Insurers take into account. :|

Age, experience, accidents, convictions, location, garage, car type, modifications, mileage, drivers, level of cover ... you name it, the list goes on.
:arrow:

Only thing you can do is search around and find the best quote as we're all different.
;-)

system11

Reaction score
As Jim said, that's absurd unless you're young and/or have a patchy driving record. I know it will ruffle some feathers but I'm going to say it anyway, it's essentially a fancy Mondeo. Sport in the name or not, it's a family estate car and should not be hit with "expensive luxury car" premium swindles. I have good luck with comparethemarket for shopping around.

JimC64

Reaction score
Just as an example, or a couple actually

My wife has a 2.2d Sport Premium, aged 50 with 13 yrs NCD living in Glasgow area and the X type is covered for around £220 iirc

My son has a 2.0d aged 29 with around 5 years NCD living in Glasgow area and his X type is covered for around £550 I think, thereabouts

You need to have a play around, check out others and see how you go
Jim

Fraser

Reaction score
Just as an example, or a couple actually

My wife has a 2.2d Sport Premium, aged 50 with 13 yrs NCD living in Glasgow area and the X type is covered for around £220 iirc

My son has a 2.0d aged 29 with around 5 years NCD living in Glasgow area and his X type is covered for around £550 I think, thereabouts

You need to have a play around, check out others and see how you go
Jim

So if your son gets 60% no-claim discount at 5 years, this takes the basic premium to well over £1000. And being 29 he is well outside the heavy premiums charged to those 25 and under.

BigT

Reaction score
Thanks all for reply’s... I’m still travelling to uk at the moment,cars giving me heart failure with management lights now onin France now so not long...yes I was surprised by how expensive I was quoted...clean license for 32 yrs..age 49 now....had over 20 years NCD...although 5 years abroad might not count(I’ll find out as I ended up saying 10 ncd) £52pm...that’l do just now....thanks for all the reply, hopefully new motor makes it to Scotland

JimC64

Reaction score
Hope you make it ok BigT

Insurance is much better at £52pm (£624 the year ) certainly much better than £1500+ you were talking about, but still very expensive for your age / driving history etc

Best
Jim

BigT

Reaction score
Thanks Jim, nearly their lol...must be the dodgy area and DD taking it up��