Newbie with an '89 that won't run...

got2go2fast

Reaction score
Hello guys, gals and everything else. I bought an '89 several years back under the guise that it ran but wouldnt run now and should be an easy fix. Beautiful car with every receipt for all work from the dealer including a recent cooling system, longblock and full aftermarket stainless exhaust. I'm looking in the forums for similar issues and found some things to try but I have a question that I'm sure one of you regulars will be able to answer quickly.
I bought an '86 parts car for the transmission in case mine has a grenaded torque converter(I threw a reduction gear starter at it and it did not spin any faster) and for other electronic tidbits, connectors, harnesses, fuel tank, etc. If not the torque converter or trans failure causing slow spin, I suspect electronics and need to know if the 86 elctronics are the same as the 89 before I scrap the rusty parts car. I know there are different ignition systems, ecus and such but do not know the year ranges or where to find that information. Thanks in advance.

got2go2fast

Reaction score
Thank you JimboV8. An LS from an Escalade is going in if I can't get this V12 figured out using Jaguar Specialties kit.

got2go2fast

Reaction score
Unfortu
Have a look here and just press the XJS link, you will hopefully find all the information you need.
Unfortunately it appears what sections aren't under construction, it takes forever to load the PDFs to view. I'll try again when I get home to a hardline interweb, a desktop and try to download the PDFs. I had found a website years ago with info describing the diff between the ignition systems and gave cutoff dates and it seems I had the worst year as I could have had either depending on eaely or later DOM but for some reason Marinelli and AJ16 stick out in my mind. I'm just starting back on this project so I'll keep at it. I love the V12 and will ONLY swap it out for an LS if it is trashed unless someone wants to take the car off my hands that has more experience with them.

got2go2fast

Reaction score
I found that page but it's on another cat-lovers forum so I won't post a link here lest I get flamed my first day so I'm going to study it again and follow what it says again this weekend and try to get that beast roaring again.

jamie_duff

Reaction score
We can tell you which ignition system you have on your 1989 if you show us a photograph of the engine bay.

I think from reading this and the symptom you describe we need to go back to basics.

got2go2fast

Reaction score
I have recently verified through VIN and visual inspection that it is the Marelli ignition despite being a January '89 build. I guess that would be towards the middle or a little more of that years run. I have the 2 coils at the rotor and 2 king leads into the tall cap. Two ignition control units bolted to the front radiator support panel. Etc. Yes agreed, I need to start at the basics. I have been clearing a spot for it here at my shop so I can start anew with fresh battery and room to spread.

jamie_duff

Reaction score
It's probably worth checking initially that the two coils, the LT plugs and the king leads are all fitted to the correct bank. One of the features of the Marelli installation is that it would be really easy to send the A bank ignition to B bank and vice versa.